New boat ordered - Saxdor 320

Flyingspanner

Visit site
We are after a outboard powered day boat with the option of an occasional overnight stay. Having looked at various boats that could fit the bill, the Axopar 28 cabin and the newly released Saxdor 320 were the two top contenders that we preferred, and we have pulled the trigger and ordered the Saxdor ?? , it is a bit bigger overall with a layout we both liked when compared to the Axopar and the cabin downstairs was a winner for both of us.

We have a Jan/Feb 2022 delivery slot, so have some time to confirm our final spec and decide if the GTC or GTO will fit our needs best , and of course which engine option to go for ?

Just got to get through 2021 without a boat, only 11 months to go. ??

Soco2

Visit site
That’s tough news! Good luck remaining sane this summer ?

Great choice! I really like the product you will have a great time when you get her ??

Flyingspanner

Visit site
Yes all Engine options are Mercury Verado’s either

Single 300 (V8)
Twin 225 (V6)
Twin 300 (V8)

we will only be using it locally around the Welsh coast, the single 300 does 39 Knots, but I am just a tad concerned that it will be a bit underpowered when you have a bit of a load on the boat, so maybe twin 225 would be the sweet spot ?

LBRodders

Visit site
Yes all Engine options are Mercury Verado’s either

Single 300 (V8)
Twin 225 (V6)
Twin 300 (V8)

we will only be using it locally around the Welsh coast, the single 300 does 39 Knots, but I am just a tad concerned that it will be a bit underpowered when you have a bit of a load on the boat, so maybe twin 225 would be the sweet spot ?

I suppose it comes down to how much load you intend to carry and the performance you want. Plus there is the servicing / maintenance costs of 2 v 1. 39 knots sounds fun on the odd calm day you can do it, but the majority of the time it will be a white knuckle ride requiring a gum, shield! ?
Horses for courses and all that.

What's the ballpark purchase cost difference b/w the single 300 and twin 225?

Flyingspanner

Visit site
Yep 39 for a quick blast will be fun, but mainly mid 20's mainly just 2 of us but could be 6 with family, about 19k to go from single 300 to twin 225

Flyingspanner

Visit site
It has a 450 lt tank - looking at other boat reviews for a single 300 on similar sized boat you are looking at 40 LTS / hour at 25 knots, plenty of range for us around the Welsh coast ?

@tetleys - twin 300’s if your buying the fuel ??

ontheplane

Visit site
How big is the oil field you own?

I cannot imagine what 2x 300 HP outboards would be like on fuel, I just hope you have shares in some oils companies!

I’d be trying to get them to fit one of these....

OXE Diesel 300 hp outboard engine - OXE Diesel

But i’m afraid to say I couldn’t afford to run 1 x 300hp outboard never mind 2.

Is something that can do 39knts ever going to be “underpowered”? - Hate to think what you would consider “over-engined”....

What’s the weight? Around 100hp per 1000kg should give decent performance, 150+ will be very lively indeed.

[2068]

Visit site
I think you have to look at this from the three stages of boat ownership:

Pre-Purchase
- All the concerns about the extra initial outlay plus the extra servicing costs of twin engines, extra fuel costs, all going around in circles

Post-Purchase
- Yeeeeh-haaaah!
It is VERY unlikely you will ever say anything along the lines of "I really wish I had less power than I currently have"

Resale
- Most people looking a boat like this will look at a single engined boat in the same way that they look at the smallest most timid kitten in the corner of the cage with part of its ear missing.

If it was me, I would only consider one of the twin engined options.

willbank

Visit site
Be careful with all handover checks as I’m afraid that the after-sales service I’ve received from IdealBoat has been less than impressive!

Bouba

Visit site
The Saxdor 320 is an impressive looking boat, you could take it to St Tropez, park it next to a superyacht and it wouldn’t look out of place ??

Flyingspanner

Visit site
Thanks all, will see what the boat tests say ref engine options, for our use a single 300 would be fine, but I can see most people will want twins and I may go twin 225 ?. I will have a full handover and only sign when I am happy, being an Aircraft Engineer I can be very picky especially when parting with my hard earned cash ??

Kawasaki

Visit site
Cracking choice of boat for your intended usage and area (y)
I would go twin 225’s
Not on/in a Saxdor but I have sea trialed a couple of similar makes
The Axopar just ‘felt’ right with twins
Those Verados are brilliant
If I was asked
‘One or two lumps?’
‘Two please’ would be my reply?

[2068]

Visit site
Thanks all, will see what the boat tests say ref engine options, for our use a single 300 would be fine, but I can see most people will want twins and I may go twin 225 ?. I will have a full handover and only sign when I am happy, being an Aircraft Engineer I can be very picky especially when parting with my hard earned cash ??

Twin 225’s would hit the sweet spot - it would be my choice,

julians

Visit site
I'm looking at an axopar 28, and have decided to go with a single 300hp or 350hp engine for the reason of reduced maintenance costs and less likely hood of something breaking.

I would wonder on a larger boat whether a single 300 would be enough power though, maybe a single 400hp would be OK.

If money was no object then two engines all the way.