New and looking for Advice.

Smoggy

Visit site
Hello Fellow masters,

hope I'm posting this in the right place

I'm very new to the boating I recently purchased my self a Pandora yacht with the sales removed and looking to attach a relevant outboard.

i took over the boat from a old friend it has been currently out of the water and I've been working on it tidying it up making it look the part, (looking quite well) I've never been on the water apart from ferry's, jet skis, and holiday adventures etc, i did a brief stint for the local RNLI many many years back so i know safety is paramount, the boat is situated currently on the river Ancholme,, im going to be looking to do some kind of skipper course and also sticking to the river for a bit of time to get used to it and get a taste for it, i see before entering the river Humber i don't really have any intentions of actually going out to sea i think the furthest i will look to go is spurn point hook up chill for a bit return kind day thing, obviously as time goes on and i learn more i may get the bug to want to go further afield but sticking to the Ancholme river for some time then venturing out in to the Humber..

ive no real idea where i need to start or what i need to-do so all help advice criticism is welcome, safety including all relevant kit will be on board before even firing her up again any suggestions on equipment and outboards I'm open too. id also be happy to relocate the boat so I'm on the Humber if i could find an nice spot that has spaces etc but that will all come in time, ive done some reading and studying and i see at the exit of the Ancholme river in to the Humber there seems to be some sort of lock just from google images nothing I've drove to (as of yet but i will do)

so yeah if you can advise criticise lol i would be looking to take all helpful info and advice onboard, and look forward to sharing my journey with you all.

main reason for all this is i have disabled 4 year old daughter who cannot do a lot at all and its something i think she will enjoy with motion fresh air etc

kind regards Gary

William_H

Visit site
Starting out in boating especially sailing can be a real adventure. That means things will not always go as you wish. You will be occasionally frustrated or frightened. Yes training courses will help. In the end you just start out and do what seems sensible. What can be a real problem is that in your getting your experiecne you might put off any guests you take. Things can get frightening long before really serious. So yes I think your daughter might love it but do be careful to get organised and experienced before you take her. Better take (expendable) friends hopefully experienced first.
It is not clear if you have sails for the boat. Sailing will expand the pleasure of boating and will provide a standby for the outboard motor. Indeed in my case I have left the outboard home for many years. In choosing an outboard engine you have a compromise between weight so you can remove for security and refit, versus enough power for what you want. I think Pandora at 7 metres would go ok in calm conditions with 6 or 8 HP need more to buck a strong tide or strong head winds.
As others have suggested finding a mooring for the boat is one of the big expenses and difficulties. You may need a dinghy to get to the boat.
I hope you get a lot of pleasure out of the boat as I have in a similar sized boat over 40 years . ol'will

Smoggy

Visit site
Good morning Will, Thank you for your response,

i have had the sails removed and sticking to a outboard only, i will just be using a long shaft outboard to move her around, the sails are gone and have no intention of using.

the boat is on a mooring / caravan park currently which is pretty secure with several other boats around some in water some out. so yes i will not be using sails and just looking to purchase a decent enough motor to take me up the Ancholme river and once im feeling comfortable and happy too then venture out to the Humber no right out to begin with but maybe 6months to a year or soo then venture as far as spurn point its just going to be used for a day activity kinda thing maybe the occasional over stay but back at my mooring that is on the Ancholme, with the hope in time to come to look for a new mooring more local to the Humber.

im also not sure what licences i will require ive already secured my insurance etc.

Again thank you for your response. Gary