Need to get home

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Hi R & S, I think you will meet severe restrictions on travel, particularly the border with Spain and Portugal. Portuguese police are actively fining people for civil disobedience which includes what they see as unnecessary travel during the declared State of Emergency. Although there are still folks in the yard, the gates are locked for vehicles so, unless you can persuade Bruce to open up, the van will be stuck on the road.

Personally, I wouldn't attempt the trip particularly anywhere through Spain but, easy to say from home. Graham.

Rappey

Visit site
I'm sorry to hear about your predicament Ironmaiden. What a terrible situation to be in.
Good luck whatever you choose

Portland Billy

Visit site
You say you NEED to get home. Yet you have shelter and relative comfort. Plus food and drink.​
Why not wait it out for another week or so and reappraise the situation.. To travel at the moment could give you a load of trouble you don't NEED.​
The rules are in place for a purpose.​

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Seriously?

Even last Friday in a post entitled "what is the risk of meeting someone with cv?" he was more interested in where Mountain was

and that Friday, Saturday and Sunday was happily posting in the Lounge.

Not quite the way I behaved when I lost my first wife.

Rtboss1 said what most of us wanted to say , (stay put)
But there no point in saying that , it's the last thing people who post these type of problem want to hear ,
what they really what people to say is ( it ok you be fine) when the possibility is they won't .
Partly I sympathy with the OP position I say partly because every body knew what was about to happen many days before it did so people had time to get where they wanted to , some decided they find a way around it and just carried on.
I don't know the OP circumstances maybe at the time he was getting a new engine in his van, maybe he was waiting on medical test or maybe he just decided there was plenty of time to get back and fancy a bit more touring in his van like a few people we know and got caught out .
I say again we don't know the circumstances in this case.
And there no point now telling us.
But really if I wanted to know what the traffic like on the M25 on a bank holiday I wouldn't be asking people on a driving site What do they know , it's only option and what's option worth in these days when it comes to C.V Not much.
If you really want to know listen to the news but I guess they have and hoping for better news here.

If he wanted my option I would say , no bit of paper from any boat yards saying the boat is his home is going to make any different in the hands of France and Portuguese police , they seen it all and heard all the excuses .
I would go on and say if their so desperate to get back to there home why didn't they go two weeks ago. But again we don't know their circumstances they maybe waiting for a new clutch or maybe be thinking no rush we only going to be stuck in a boat yard much better to be in a nice field.
I go on to say if there others liveaboard in the boat yard they not going to happy knowing someone driven through Europe turning up so don't be surprise if other people are hostile towards you after all they been isolating them self and in drive someone who been in contact with who knows who.

Lastly risking making enemies of some here ,
there people posting on YBW site who are really pis@ off being told but government they can't go for a sail while hundreds of thousands are dying, while people are risking their own life trying to save other, add that to there are bored and anyone who write anything to do with tell anyone to stay put see it like a red rag to a bull .

Last edited:

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
there people posting on YBW site who are really pis@ off being told but government they can't go for a sail while hundreds of thousands are dying

A bit of an exaggeration. Only 95 thousand deaths globally to date. Majority of these would have died under normal circumstances.
Current UK deaths in UK are no greater than average for past years. A western population of 65 million averages 1% mortality a year or 1,850 deaths a day.

Any death is sad for those left behind, but those still living need to keep LIVING. Of course elderly and frail do need to withdraw from society to protect themselves, and others need to keep social distancing and have increased hygiene, but please let us get on with LIFE.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
A bit of an exaggeration. Only 95 thousand deaths globally to date. Majority of these would have died under normal circumstances.
Current UK deaths in UK are no greater than average for past years. A western population of 65 million averages 1% mortality a year or 1,850 deaths a day.

Any death is sad for those left behind, but those still living need to keep LIVING. Of course elderly and frail do need to withdraw from society to protect themselves, and others need to keep social distancing and have increased hygiene, but please let us get on with LIFE.
I don't wish to argue with you how many have died , it stands to reason the data on death and infected people are not correct and maybe it doesn't matter to thos who only interest is to get back what they lost in persuading there interest , but it matters a lot to the family's , yes we must get back to living life at some point but for now one message from nearly every country in Europe in stay put to stop spread the virus and maybe safe some one life and if we can't do that little thing we need to ask our self what type of person are we .
And in case it's not news to you , it's not just the frail and elderly this virus kills .

Boater Sam

Visit site
I know of a guy who drove from Santander through Spain and France early last week to get back to England . He had real difficulties all along the way.
The borders of towns were closing behind him. He drove the last 1200 km non stop and made the last channel tunnel trip one day earlier than booked by the skin of his teeth. As they said that it was possibly closed that day they let him on without charging him the £50 surcharge, that's how bad it is.
I sympathise but the sensible thing to do is stay where you are.

ironmaiden

Visit site

At last someone who seems to have a grip on the reality of this total mess, what people don’t seem to realise is that a lockdown in this kind of circumstances can only be effective if done for a period of 36 to48 months.
Covid will not go away with a couple of months lock down IT WILL STILL BE HERE
over 80% of the population are going to get this eventually and that’s the only way we will get over it, it’s called herd immunity and like any other disease we have to live with the consequences of the death rate to get herd immunity when we have no cure.
Even if we did have a cure you you are still getting a dose of the disease to get that immunity all be it in a controlled dose.

Fantasie 19

Visit site
Lastly risking making enemies of some here ,
there people posting on YBW site who are really pis@ off being told but government they can't go for a sail while hundreds of thousands are dying, while people are risking their own life trying to save other, add that to there are bored and anyone who write anything to do with tell anyone to stay put see it like a red rag to a bull .

Well said ...

Graham376

Visit site
...........I say again we don't know the circumstances in this case...........If he wanted my option I would say , no bit of paper from any boat yards saying the boat is his home is going to make any different in the hands of France and Portuguese police , they seen it all and heard all the excuses .

I know the couple concerned and I would normally trust their judgment . When I said I wouldn't make the trip it was because of the potential problems with authorities on the way. Repatriation is a valid excuse for travel but, lots of "stop and check" is the norm and there may be language difficulties causing problems. Most likely mandatory quarantine when entering Portugal.

In a camper van with sufficient fuel to do the trip without having to stop for fuel and all facilities on board plus the very limited amount of traffic reducing the chance of an accident, they would be at less risk of picking up the virus than those of us who head to the supermarket and mix with others, one day a week - never thought I would look forward to doing that.:)

The yard was locked down on 18th March as far as haul in/out and staff are concerned but those there or able to get there can still live on boats and continue with work. We left the day after vehicle gates were locked but for some time before, everyone had already been distancing when talking so I see no problems there, except for communal toilet and shower facilities. I suspect most will be glad to see OP return.

PlanB

Visit site
I have just recived the following Spain Travel Update from Gov.UK/FCO:
Air, land and sea borders
From Monday 23 March, for an initial period of 30 days (although it could be extended), only Spanish citizens or those who can prove they are resident in Spain, will be allowed to enter Spain through airports, ports or land borders. In order to enter Spain you may be required to show proof you are resident here such as a residency certificate or other form of ID with your Spanish home address on it.
British travellers will continue to be allowed to leave Spain. British travellers who are not resident in Spain, should not attempt to travel to enter Spain.

Last edited:

syvictoria

Visit site

Of course this is all quite normal.... mass graves in New York, refrigerated lorries collecting the dead from hospitals in Italy and Spain, York (UK) council trying to ban funerals, new mass morgues being set up across the UK, 15 dead in a Luton carehome... all quite normal.... :mad::mad::mad:

ironmaiden

Visit site
I have just recived the following Spain Travel Update from Gov.UK/FCO:
Air, land and sea borders
From Monday 23 March, for an initial period of 30 days (although it could be extended), only Spanish citizens or those who can prove they are resident in Spain, will be allowed to enter Spain through airports, ports or land borders. In order to enter Spain you may be required to show proof you are resident here such as a residency certificate or other form of ID with your Spanish home address on it.
British travellers will continue to be allowed to leave Spain. British travellers who are not resident in Spain, should not attempt to travel to enter Spain.
Had a message from British Embassy in Spain repatriation is allowable just need to hear from Portuguese now.

nortada

Visit site
Just been a long discussion within the marina on Chan 9 (since the onset of lock down we have been having a weekly chat show to share ideas and problems).

The subject, what to do about berth-holders returning to their boats❓One strong sentiment expressed - THEY SHOULDN’T COME but that doesn’t solve the problem when they arrive. It is recognised that they can self-quarantine on board but shared facilities present a possible problem. Fortunately, Lagos has a number of toilet facilities so it should be able to designate one areas to the potentially ‘unclean’.

We have very few Portuguese in this marina so the real hope is that Faro will extend the block on all incoming international flights beyond next Tuesday.

We will see.

Graham376

Visit site
The subject, what to do about berth-holders returning to their boats❓One strong sentiment expressed - THEY SHOULDN’T COME but that doesn’t solve the problem when they arrive.

I agree that those who have a home shouldn't travel to their boats but, what about those who's boat is their only home? Very different cases.

nortada

Visit site
Had a message from British consulate in Spain repatriation is allowable just need to hear from Portuguese now.

Possibly good news from the British Consulate but I suspect the law on the ground will not be privy to this ruling and take scant notice when you pitch up at the Spanish border. My understanding is that Spain will only allow Spanish residents enter their country and if you hold Spanish residency then you cannot hold Portuguese residency❓Bit of a Catch 22.

Then there is the Portuguese, who I am lead to believe will not let folk anchored in the Guadiana land on the Portuguese side of the river.

If you make the journey do you intend to enter Portugal via the Guadiana Bridge.

Understand you hope to make the Home Run end of next week❓ Will be really interested to hear how you get on.

Graham376

Visit site
Are you sure that covers repatriation to countries other than Spain - the guidance specifically refers to returning to UK. Coronavirus - Spain travel advice

If people are allowed to travel in Spain to return to the UK, why would they not be allowed to travel to other countries of residence?

When Portuguese locked down a few weeks ago, they were allowing restricted travel across official Guadiana border - returning citizens and residents, cross border workers, goods vehicles, and those who had traveled from or through Spain and had flights booked out of Faro. I'm "told" the same still applies except there's now a period of quarantine for many. Maybe someone local can confirm this?

PlanB

Visit site
If people are allowed to travel in Spain to return to the UK, why would they not be allowed to travel to other countries of residence?

When Portuguese locked down a few weeks ago, they were allowing restricted travel across official Guadiana border - returning citizens and residents, cross border workers, goods vehicles, and those who had traveled from or through Spain and had flights booked out of Faro. I'm "told" the same still applies except there's now a period of quarantine for many. Maybe someone local can confirm this?
see my amended reply and relevant link to Gov. UK