Need to get home

ironmaiden

Visit site
We need to get back to the boat which is in the yard at faro.
We are stuck in our camper van in France and are thinking of driving down to faro Portugal middle to end of next week.
We have a letter of confirmation that the boat is our main residence from the owner of the yard. What problems if any do you think we might have.
Regards Rach.

Just_sayin'

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.
Visit site
Unfortunately some people find it impossible to be civil on this forum :(

Here are the Portuguese regulations as at the 7th.

COVID-19: Main legislative or regulatory initiatives that have been taken in Portugal

I can see nothing that covers your situation.

Furthermore I read somewhere today (trying to find it) that even travel between villages is forbidden without good reason ... police will be stationed as appropriate ... found this .... travel between municipalities banned.

Stay at home this Easter

IF you went to the local Gendarmerie it is always possible that they would give you dispensation to travel in France but expect to be stopped a lot.

Then your problems start again when you arrive in Portugal.

Sorry I can't be more positive but I guess you might already have expected this answer.

Lightwave395

Visit site

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
The boat is our only home everything we have is there, so are we complete idiots for wanting to go home instead of living for god knows how long in a van with no facilities.
I suppose it is easy to say we are whilst sitting in your cosy arm chair in your own home.
So your obvious discomfort is enough for you to jeopardise the lives of those you meet on your travels and possible friends at your boat / yard , phone in front to tell them you are comming. What part of do not travel is difficult for you and others on this thread to understand.

Hadenough

Visit site
So your obvious discomfort is enough for you to jeopardise the lives of those you meet on your travels and possible friends at your boat / yard , phone in front to tell them you are comming. What part of do not travel is difficult for you and others on this thread to understand.
Have a look on Marine Traffic and see how many Superyachts are relocating at the moment. Don’t suppose the owners are on board, probably flown home in their private jets and ordered the unfortunate crews to relocate. Lots of yachts also fleeing for friendly ports. Wait for the exodus from the Caribbean! Many ordinary people were left in difficult situations because of the acceleration of the virus crisis. I personally had to abandon my boat, which I live on full time, to return and support a serious family crisis made all the more difficult by the virus situation. I got back into the U.K. by the skin of my teeth and do not know when I will be able to get back aboard to all my personal belongings. Luckily I am staying with very accommodating family but have no idea when I will be able to get home - ie; the boat!
If you are actually a livaboard rather than a high earning ex pat staying on their boat for convenience have some empathy. Whatever have some empathy anyway!

Last edited:

Paulg25

Visit site
Surely you don't have enough information about the current living arrangements and the potential journey to make this judgement.

If the OP is having to make regular use of local facilities such as toilets and showers then doing on his way home should pose no extra danger.

ironmaiden

Visit site
Please don’t lecture me on the implications of travelling home as you do not have any idea of our circumstances.
We have been completely isolated for 5 weeks now we have had no symptoms whatsoever, we don’t even have to stop for fuel as we carry enough.
Also before you jump on your soap box I do know what I’m talking about when it comes to diseases and transmission vectors.
I think 5 years at university studying epidemiology and health development gives me a little insight in to the situation, along with infection control as a retired frontline worker, in the last pandemic we had H1 N1 remember that one ? I do , I was in the thick of it. For your information when that came in 2009 WHO estimated that over 500,000 died from it so covid 19 is only playing at the moment!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
First let me say you could try and PM Nortada who should have some helpful info on Portugal, what coming through from cruisers we know there is the Portuguese are now really clamping down to the extent that people can't even drive out the next villages to go to the next town to shop .

To them who seen vessel moving on MT yes there are some movement and some are getting away with it but many other are being fined there been arrest made there even been some boat that have been made to leave the country there have been in because they move from where they anchored one just last week in Portugal.

Beneteau381

Visit site
We need to get back to the boat which is in the yard at faro.
We are stuck in our camper van in France and are thinking of driving down to faro Portugal middle to end of next week.
We have a letter of confirmation that the boat is our main residence from the owner of the yard. What problems if any do you think we might have.
Regards Rach.
Tread softly. The Portuguese police don’t mess around.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Please don’t lecture me on the implications of travelling home as you do not have any idea of our circumstances.
We have been completely isolated for 5 weeks now we have had no symptoms whatsoever, we don’t even have to stop for fuel as we carry enough.
Also before you jump on your soap box I do know what I’m talking about when it comes to diseases and transmission vectors.
I think 5 years at university studying epidemiology and health development gives me a little insight in to the situation, along with infection control as a retired frontline worker, in the last pandemic we had H1 N1 remember that one ? I do , I was in the thick of it. For your information when that came in 2009 WHO estimated that over 500,000 died from it so covid 19 is only playing at the moment!

And you don't know my circumstances my 49 year old partner died last week of it ,leaving my daughter with her 70 year old Granny in Austria .I am not allowed to go to the funeral . Do NOT TRAVEL.

Just_sayin'

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.
Visit site
I think that's enough now

Seriously?

Even last Friday in a post entitled "what is the risk of meeting someone with cv?" he was more interested in where Mountain was

Is mountain still up your way?

and that Friday, Saturday and Sunday was happily posting in the Lounge.

Not quite the way I behaved when I lost my first wife.