NAVIONICS

RubyII

Visit site
I have a Vulcan 7 BNG Pottter. With a navionics sim ( just out of date) . No on-board Wi-Fi.
I also have navionics Payedfor on my iPhone! The synchronisation keep dropping out as I want to use Bluetooth to keep the phone on 4G but the plotter wants to use local wireless network therefore losing 4G on the phone any tips please anyone ! Thanks

Bilgediver

Visit site
I have a Vulcan 7 BNG Pottter. With a navionics sim ( just out of date) . No on-board Wi-Fi.
I also have navionics Payedfor on my iPhone! The synchronisation keep dropping out as I want to use Bluetooth to keep the phone on 4G but the plotter wants to use local wireless network therefore losing 4G on the phone any tips please anyone ! Thanks
Can't you set an Iphone to operate as a hotspot and then the plotter should link to the Iphone by wifi, so long as you have a suitable 4G link for the phone. I regularly do this with my Android Pixel when using my Hudl afloat.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I'm pretty sure the Vulcan can operate as hotspot and client at the same time.

I enable hotspot / sharing on my Android mobile phone, then connect to the B&G's network - the B&G gets internet from the phone, so does my tablet when it connects to the B&G's network too.

Bilgediver

Visit site
Not a 4G card just the oí of date navionics card
That is strange. I wonder if there is an incorrect setting as it cannot be a hot spot unless connected to some sort of access to receive the data it wants to transmit locally. I wonder where it thinks it is getting the data from. Does it show up on other devices as a source of WiFi ?

MikeBz

Visit site
My Raymarine plotter acts as a WiFi router, except that of course it has no connection to the internet. So if my 'phone connects to the plotter's WiFi then it (the 'phone) doesn't get internet because it is trying to connect through the plotter's WiFi network. I have to tell the 'phone to disconnect from the plotter's WiFi (or turn off WiFi) to get it use use 4G for internet. To control the plotter from the 'phone or sync it with Navionics on the 'phone it (the 'phone) has to be connected to the plotter's WiFi which means no internet on the 'phone while I am in that mode.

What I haven't tried is making the 'phone a hotspot (after disconnecting it from the plotter's WiFi network) and then telling the plotter to connect to the 'phone's hotspot (I don't know whether that is possible with my plotter).

I've no idea what " I want to use Bluetooth to keep the phone on 4G " means - Bluetooth is completely separate from 4G and WiFi, except in the weird Apple -to-Apple world of AirDrop where it requires you to have both Bluetooth and WiFi on (regardless of whether you are connected to a WiFi network).

Bilgediver

Visit site
I've no idea what " I want to use Bluetooth to keep the phone on 4G " means - Bluetooth is completely separate from 4G and WiFi, except in the weird Apple -to-Apple world of AirDrop where it requires you to have both Bluetooth and WiFi on (regardless of whether you are connected to a WiFi network).

Bluetooth would be great however does the plotter have a Bluetooth option and does the phone work on Bluetooth with Navionics. Sometimes Bluetooth has a mind of its own so best of luck.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I'm pretty sure the Vulcan can operate as hotspot and client at the same time.

I enable hotspot / sharing on my Android mobile phone, then connect to the B&G's network - the B&G gets internet from the phone, so does my tablet when it connects to the B&G's network too.
Correction to this: I enable sharing on my Android mobile phone, then I think the B&G connects to my mobile phone, and then other devices connect to the B&G.

I did not expect the B&G to be able to do this. I had been doing things like arranging the two networks in order of priority and manually connecting from one to the other when I was surprised to find that a device connected to the B&G was able to load internet pages.

Daverw

Visit site
our Lowrence plotter has client mode which connects to the wifi hub on the boat or phone hotspot to allow the plotter to connect to the internet, download charts, software updates etc, it also has an access mode which allows remote control and mirroring of the plotter with iPad or phone, this also syncs routes etc with Navionics app, to allow this you have to switch from the client mode though if I recall.. I would expect b&g would be the same as both are navico. You cannot have both on at the same time but you also have Bluetooth connection which not tried.

Daverw

Visit site
I will have to try it, the manual just says switch between them, would be useful if can as we have full time wifi on board anyway.

RubyII

Visit site
Okay I think I’ve got to the bottom of one of my problems . I have a subscription to navionics on my phone. But as my sim is out of date on the plotter so it won’t sync’ or communicate either on Wi-Fi or Bluetooth . So feeling navionics is a bit on the pricey side if you have to have subscription for both . Some I feel is not made very clear!

Daverw

Visit site
We budget about £150 per year for Navionics for plotter and phone/iPad, means I always have update charts and can plan at home

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
Has the plotter got a sim card in it? If would need a sim card to be a hot spot.
A hotspot us a term used for a WiFi network. There is no need for this to be connected to the internet. I assume the OP meant chart SD card rather than sim
The Vulcan can operate as a client, when it connects to another WiFi (usually internet capable for downloading updates or weather gribs) or as an access point to allow other devices to connect to it, typically to use the B&G app or Link app to mirror the screen.