Navionics AIS

Daverw

Visit site
Just seen email from Navionics saying that they've added additional functions such as collision alarm to Boaty app

Crazy-Diamond

Visit site
That's good news. Only yesterday I had to explain to the first mate that despite the expense of fitting AIS (Digital Yacht WiFi'd to tablet with Navionics) we didn't have the collision alarm function. Shame she didn't ask me today :)

Ian_Rob

Visit site
Seems a bit odd to me. Perhaps the CPA/TCPA details have been added to the information window that appears when individual targets are interrogated? If it hasn‘t, I am sure that it will be shortly?

Last edited:

DipperToo

Visit site
Opencpn on android must have as good an ais display as there is out there. Easy to run in tandem with Navionics if you have an android tablet
+1.
I am running OpenCPN on an Android phone with basic outline charts, but the AIS function is brilliant. It dynamically shows with vectors the actual predicted CPA in real time without having to tap or press anything.
The hardest part was getting my AIS and Seatalk data all multiplexed and output via wifi. I managed that using a fairly low cost device from Quark Electronics (QK-A031) - no affiliation. https://www.quark-elec.com/product/...nmea-0183-multiplexer-with-seatalk-converter/

Visit site
What is the tracking function like to track a selected vessel's previous track on these bits of software? I have Navionics on my phone and I've got one of those London Chart Plotter tablets somewhere with what I guess is OpenCPN based software on it so I may take the plunge and buy a NMEA to WiFi convertor.

Ric

Visit site
I got their email and thought OMG - they're unleashing an AIS collision avoidance system that works (sort of - ie not very accurately, and with lots of lag) on internet only - so with present technology only within range of GSM shore transmitters. So lots of day sailors bumbling around thinking they are now impervious. A bit like private pilots flying around using FlightRadar24 as TCAS really...

Daverw

Visit site
Little bit confused about your comment about AIS on internet, are you referring to the AIS overlay on Navionics, if so this is live from feed from boats local receiver not the internet