Navigation Restrictions for Thames boaters

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Following additional info from EA re Thames navigation restrictions received this morning :

"For boaters on the non-tidal Thames specifically, there are some additional impacts:

In order to protect our staff, all areas of our locksites which members of the public do not need to access to operate the lock or use facilities such as fresh water points, will be closed. This includes all campsites and lock and weir fishing sites.

To discourage non-essential movement of boats, all locks will be hand-wind only.

As a result of the prolonged (and continuing) period of strong stream conditions, a considerable number of hazard marker buoys have been moved out of position. In addition, river and weather conditions may have created new hazards (trees in the river for example) which we are unaware of. We would normally carry out a survey of all reaches at the earliest opportunity once river conditions make it safe to do so, to reposition marker buoys and install them where we identify new hazards, until such time as we can deal with them. We cannot currently do this, or carry out operations to remove hazards. Therefore, not only should all movement be restricted to essential journeys only, such journeys must be carried out with extreme caution.

We know that there are hazards blocking the navigation at Sunbury and Marsh locks, which are both closed until further notice.

In addition, hazards are restricting use of both Temple Lock and Clifton Lock. More information on these can be found at River Thames Conditions where we will also post information on any further service issues.

Teddington Lock is also closed, but we will consider providing a hand-wind service for short periods to enable essential journeys only. Any requests which we deem to be non-essential will be declined. Boaters requiring to transit Teddington Lock should email WaterwaysThames@environment-agency.gov.uk with their contact details. A member of our Teddington Lock team will then be in touch."

Big John

Visit site
The hazards as mentioned in the above statement are a very good reason for not venturing out on to the river. Who would come to your assistance if you were in difficulty?

TrueBlue

Visit site
"

To discourage non-essential movement of boats, all locks will be hand-wind only. "

I agree with the sentiments, but I don't think the above is a good idea...
EA has a short memory....

oldgit

Visit site
Keen for an early start, remember hand winding Marsh Lock when exiting the Thames..
Took a tiny bit longer than anticipated .
Just opening the lower gate as the lockie turned up for work.
Lesson learnt. Later start can save you a lot of hard work.

Doolittle

Visit site
As someone with a riparian mooring on the Thames between Penton Hook lock and Chertsey lock, I wondered what harm could come of me just trolling up and down this stretch and waving at the neighbour's? I suppose it's no different to going for a drive without getting out of the car.

Job Done

Visit site
Fully agree with Doolittle. I certainly recognise that locks should to all intents and purposes close and that we can’t expect much by way of maintaining the channel (not sure we get much of that at the best of times). However to effectively close the river for even the most basic of journeys seems OTT and unnecessary when it is one of the very few leisure activities one can pursue within confines of appropriate social distancing

Presume we won’t be expected to pay a licence fee whilst this is in place if we can’t use or don’t get any of the facilities?

Big John

Visit site
I agree. On our own boat with no other persons envolved, self isolating, no contact with any one or likly to sneeze over. What is wrong in a slow ride up and down without touching a lock. The only hazard is what is drifting down the river to get caught in the prop.

oldgit

Visit site
Presume we won’t be expected to pay a licence fee whilst this is in place if we can’t use or don’t get any of the facilities?

Think the license pays for all the stuff preventing the Thames from immediately draining into the sea , its still being used , virus or no virus :)

Old Crusty

Visit site
The registration licence permits you to float your boat only, nothing else, no other entitlement or special offers. Same as road fund tax merely permits you to keep a car on the highway.

TrueBlue

Visit site
Don't be reasonable - these are time for all and sundry to throw their toys out of their perambulators - and why not, everything is beginning to get quite nasty.
That tonsurially challenged gentlemam (perhaps what folks in the Upper Regions are telling him) is doing his best to discourange 'normal boaters' from using the River and why not? The weather is driech and it's easier to dump your poo in the oggin - like what salty sailors do.
I prefer to follow the rules - and that's why I'm a bit annoyed pissed off, even though my two-loos boat will hold a lot of -whatever - for a while yet. However I get the feeling that if EA Thames region show that they don't give a jot, then why should boaters bother...

Flynnbarr

Visit site
Was talking to a mate yesterday about the river/our boats etc and he said “I wonder how long before we see the first idiot out on the river”........won‘t be long it seems!
To those advocating a little pootle up and down a reach......would it be ok if we all went out?

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Was talking to a mate yesterday about the river/our boats etc and he said “I wonder how long before we see the first idiot out on the river”........won‘t be long it seems!
To those advocating a little pootle up and down a reach......would it be ok if we all went out?
And if you did decide to poodle and got into any sort of trouble would you expect someone to come to your assistance etc etc

UNLESS YOU'RE A LIVE-ABOARD - STAY AT HOME

plumbob

Visit site
Fully agree with Doolittle. I certainly recognise that locks should to all intents and purposes close and that we can’t expect much by way of maintaining the channel (not sure we get much of that at the best of times). However to effectively close the river for even the most basic of journeys seems OTT and unnecessary when it is one of the very few leisure activities one can pursue within confines of appropriate social distancing

plumbob

Visit site
Welcome aboard Job Done. I suspect you are afloat still. Wish I could say the same. You'll know the reason why not I'm sure.?

Old Crusty

Visit site
It really is mad busy here on the K&A towpath between Bradford on Avon & Bath. Some of the towpath users have complained about drunken boat owners shouting abuse at them, whodathought it?

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
CRT have a notice people can print and display in the window of the boat. To discourage public from using towpaths. And official advice is that towpaths are not wide enough to be able to adhere to social distancing rules. But then nor is a pavement. Are roads being closed?

Oh dear.

That's not going to go very well is it.

First you get social distancing then you get wedges driven between different amenity users. Why do I think the towpath boaters are going to end up on the wrong side of this?

There are far more public who do enjoy a walk on a towpath than there are boaters taking advantage of the cheap lifestyle.

Cue demonisation of towpath dwelling boaters.

Quite a handy opportunity for CRT to be fair as they have for a long time wanted to get rid of the "live aboard gits"