Navigating from Walton-on-the-Naze to Shepperton...

Doolittle

Visit site
Folks, I have a bit of a challenge and my dayboat navigation qualification & skills are about as rusty a s a 18th century plough but here's the thing; I've purchased a Fairline Mirage up near Harwich and planning to leave at 5am on Tuesday 15th to get to Limehouse 2 hours one side or the other of low water at 3pm.
My Mirage with two healthy AD31-P 150Hp diesels is good for about 25 knots. I've averaged the speed at 8 knots and calculated a journey time of about 9 hours.
I'm having trouble working out the tidal streams and I'd really appreciate someone else having a look please. Is anyone up for the challenge of checking this journey for me please?

As an aside, I have Navionics and I also have the charts. I kind of feel that Navionics lulls you into a false sense of security!

oldgit

Visit site
Unless you are an absolute miser like me , would not be too concerned with a boat that quick regards tides, unless wishing to avoid wind over tide conditions to ensure a comfortable ride up to Limehouse. ?
We use Navionics on a Ipad for 99% of navigating in the estuary , with of course a back up consisting of
That Not for Navigation laminated chart issued by the PLA.
2 x complicated chart plotters and their outrageously over priced charts .
1 x laptop with Seaclear.
A rather ancient dead tree chart and 2HB writing stick.

Last edited:

Doolittle

Visit site
Well that was an absolute breeze! I had gone to the far end of a fart with the chart and knew the route I would take but to be honest Navionics worked really well. I'd forgotten about the charts within 10 minutes of the journey!! 7 hours door to door. I'd put in the boat stats suggesting max speed of 8 knots (managed 30 knots with the tide in places tho) so it gave my ETA at 6pm, arrived 13:30.

Currently holding station downstream of Hammersmith Bridge waiting for 5pm.

Doolittle

Visit site
Simple advance booking. Was tempted to sneak under earlier as there were no barges upstream or downstream of the bridge but there was CCTV. Then heard the announcement over VHF that it was open for pre-arranged passage bang on five. Made Shepperton just as the heavens opened!

Mark26

Visit site
Well that was an absolute breeze! I had gone to the far end of a fart with the chart and knew the route I would take but to be honest Navionics worked really well. I'd forgotten about the charts within 10 minutes of the journey!! 7 hours door to door. I'd put in the boat stats suggesting max speed of 8 knots (managed 30 knots with the tide in places tho) so it gave my ETA at 6pm, arrived 13:30.

Currently holding station downstream of Hammersmith Bridge waiting for 5pm.
Well done.