Naval vessel converted to large motor yacht

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
What a beauty.

Does anybody what sort of vessel she is and what her former service role would have been?

1b07e42402078514bae3656e6cb86d00.jpg

I'm told she is about 85ft long

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
Just got some more limited info. She is an ex Norwegian naval vessel. 85ft long 4ft6in draft. Don't know age, or vessel type, role, etc.

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder but in my book she is a several feet short in the freeboard department. She must surely have been built for in harbour and coastal work, not seagoing passages?

Divemaster1

Visit site
Beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder but in my book she is a several feet short in the freeboard department. She must surely have been built for in harbour and coastal work, not seagoing passages?

Some of the early Submarine Chasers (built in the US, delivered to the Norwegian marine) were actually pretty low on the freeboard...

1215071815.jpg

But these were around 110 ft long, and three of those later became involved in the "Shetland Bus"

Earlier ones were a bit shorter, but with higher bow section...

submarine-chaser.png

The bow section of this one looks mor like a support/observation vessel, or one of the coastal patrol boats.... if we had her name (probably is the original one), I could find out....

TomasJakl

Visit site
I have found this picture on the Pinterest website probably of eBay origin. It should be taken in Bergen, Norway during WWII. Can anybody identify these patrol vessels?

b170f06c5c2a639aa527d3984cd5ecdb.jpg

PlanB

Visit site
Just found out she was an 1952 US patrol boat based on the Rhine in Germany.
If that's the case, it may be one of only two remaining.
One is (was) in a museum somewhere in the Netherlands.
The other was being restored in a yard at Upnor on the Medway in 2002/4 by a guy called John who was intending to use her for commercial purposes.
No further information, I'm afraid.