nautical studies ...

John_Sun

Visit site
Hi guys .. I'm thinking of doing Nautical Studies in Singapore. Now i know its something to do with navigating ships n seeing the world (come to think of it, that's all i really know, heh!) .. The problem is that in my country, this is a territory ventured by the few, and most people won't really know wats going on in tis industry anyway ... except mayb its somewat dangerous compared to a office job ?

Well, i guess i've somehow made up my mind that i wanna b a capt'n someday ... So are there any kind souls out there willing to give some valuable advice to young dreamers like myself .. or are there even people who did their nautical studies in singapore willing to share their experience ..

Anything will help, really!

john /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Re: nautical studies ...Singapore

Hello, John.

The reason for your fellow citizens' lack of enthusiasm for Nautical Studies is directly related to the salary that you can expect to earn at sea these days.

By Singapore standards, the pay is not that good.

However, they are missing something.

Singapore is a major maritime centre. There will always be a need for experienced ships' officers ashore in Singapore, either in the Government or in one of the many shipping companies and related service industries in Singapore. For example, I have a Singaporean friend, much richer tham I, who is a shipping lawyer - going to sea is the best training for this. Add the pilotage, the PSA, insurance, offshore oil and gas, shipyards, tankers - Singapore will always want you, in a well paid job, after a few years at sea.

Good career choice, I say. Go right ahead.

John_Sun

Visit site

hey mirelle, thanks man.. what do you do in the industry ?? u do really know something .. In your opinion, how are the prospects of an occupation in the industry( in / outside singapore) for the next few yrs ... say 10 yrs, to come??

john

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site

I'm a middle manager for one of the big Asian shipping companies.

Prospects for the next ten years are good - the industry is enjoying a huge boom at the moment - certainly the best for thirty years, quite possibly the best ever - on the back of Chinese economic growth, which has created demand for containerships, tankers and bulk carriers whilst the high oil price has triggered demand in the offshore oil support sector as well. Cruise shipping is also doing well espescially in the new Asian market. Shipbuilding and shiprepair are also booming.

Whilst salaries at sea have not gone up, I reckon that the shortage of trained officers in the industry is now showing and pay rates are most unlikely to fall - it takes time, as you already know, to train an officer.

I think your idea of a ten years' horizon is a good one - plan to do that then come ashore.

John_Sun

Visit site

Alright man ... personally, that is REALLY encouraging! I plan to spend a nice 10 - 15 yrs on the sea .. then mayb continue my academic pursuits and hopefully end up teaching somewhere ..

Nice talking 2 ya ..

Signed Out

Visit site

I work in the offshore industry and studied Maritime Studies here in the UK, however, I spent a fair bit of time working off China, as it is a booming region for the industry and I know a bunch of guys working down that way. Alot of the Asian sector has it's headquarters in Singapore and the whole region has a of development going on- China, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, all have great future in the offshore field.

pcartin

Visit site
I think you have already completed your nautical studies by now:) anyway, just wanna invite you to our new Singapore Nautical Forum, where all nautical students gather and talk about exam tips, and sea life....

Good day..

conspericy4eva

Visit site
need help

hi guys.
i am new to this forum but i became a member to ask if going into nautical studies in singapore is a good option because i have been selected for electronic, electrical and computer engineering. i want to go into nautical studies but i am confused on which course to select.

please reply asap.
thanks

Bodach na mara

Visit site
I see that it has been a few days since you posted and there are no replies, so I thought I might contribute my unqualified advice.

First ask yourself what you intend as a career. "Nautical Studies" can mean a number of different things. In Glasgow, at City of Glasgow College, it would be one of two courses leading to a career at sea as a deck officer or a marine engineer. These courses are taken by students sponsored by shipping companies, or they were when I lectured at Glasgow College of Nautical Studies in the 1970s. GCNS was absorbed in a merger into the new CoGC last year. In other colleges, Nautical Studies can be a science-based course such as oceanography. Job opportunities with such a qualification are less well-defined than in the first case I discussed.

So get in contact with the college and ask them what the focus of the course is and where the graduates end up.

pocaii

Visit site
Greetings, I really need advice or others' opinion, which is a better path to take? Nautical studies or marine engineering? And what are their career choices? Thanks

miin xue

Visit site
I am sorry for interrupting...may I ask a few questions about nautical studies?
Am I able to apply the full-diploma nautical studies in Singapore Marine Academy if one of my eyesight is 350 degrees and another is almost 0 ??
Is the enrollment hard?
Can someone else help to introduce by studying nautical in SMA?
Thanks a lot.