Nautical/Family Photos Montage Ideas?

seagoggles

Visit site
Has anyone here ever made a nautical-themed photo montage as a gift for someone who is now too elderly to sail?

I have lots of lovely old photos of boats various people in my family have owned, and I'd love to put something together for my grandparents who are now too elderly to sail. I've looked on Pinterest and Google, but I'm not too keen on what I've seen thus far. I'm definitely the artistic type, but I'd love to give something like this a go.

Any ideas or examples would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Simonpk

Visit site
Digital photo frame? then it can sit on the mantle piece or wherever. Lot nicer than sitting in front of an iPad or computer screen.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
It would be very easy to do in software such as the free Inkscape package. I've done it using Coreldraw years ago for a very similar project - family photographs of a holiday for granddad. You set up your page, perhaps with a background image or a uniform colour, and then insert the required photos on top of it. The "vignette" filter can produce nice effects, with a soft border to the included photos. Then it's up to your artistic skills!

seagoggles

Visit site
It would be very easy to do in software such as the free Inkscape package. I've done it using Coreldraw years ago for a very similar project - family photographs of a holiday for granddad. You set up your page, perhaps with a background image or a uniform colour, and then insert the required photos on top of it. The "vignette" filter can produce nice effects, with a soft border to the included photos. Then it's up to your artistic skills!

Thanks AntarcticPilot. I'll have a look into this. I'm now wondering if I could get a friend, who has good knowledge of laser cutting and 3D printing, to combine how those might work with a graphic design package to make a custom wooden frame...I could be getting too ambitious though!

Thanks again!

Sandydog2

Visit site
I have all my best photos in a Google Photos album online. Then I have set the ambient mode of our Google Chromecast to that album. We use the Chromecast a lot anyway for watching YouTube or iplayer on the TV, but often we just put it on in ambient mode. It scrolls them at random, with each shown for the duration you choose. Obviously it works best for landscape rather than portrait shots, but either are much better than looking at photos.

My elderley mother has her TV Chromecast set to the same album and leaves it in for hours at a time! All she has to do is switch on the TV and use the AV button to choose the Chromecast input. I have deleted all the inputs not in use from the displayed list and renamed the remaining ones, so she only has to choose between TV, DVD and Chromecast.