Nasa Navtex finally died

Refueler

Visit site
lwgRz4Cm.jpg

Has been up there for more years than I care to think about and have to admit that for last years has not been used. Decided today to give a chance ... but dead as a dodo.
I even took it apart and gave the internal rechargeable batts a boost up ... still dead.

Do I replace it ? Doubt it given I rarely used it before ..... but go on I'm listening ... is it really worth replacing ? Baltic seems a bit dead for real info on Navtex ..

DanTribe

Visit site
When I first got mine I thought it was the best gadget ever. But gradually I used it less and less and got fed up with resetting the stations and message info. My internal battery died and it went to a club boat jumble who probably binned it. Forecast apps like Windguru made it a bit redundant anyway.

Refueler

Visit site
When I first got mine I thought it was the best gadget ever. But gradually I used it less and less and got fed up with resetting the stations and message info. My internal battery died and it went to a club boat jumble who probably binned it. Forecast apps like Windguru made it a bit redundant anyway.

That's my thought as well ... I use Windguru for near all my forecasts .. sailing and RC Flying. Given that you get a reasonable forecast for some days ahead ... I can print screen and have to cover most sailing I do. Within usually next day I am in mobile coverage again - so can update Windguru ...

With internet - there are various Navtex online sites that you can see and print off info ...

But I can still see its usefulness if on extended moderately offshore distance or coastal outside mobile coverage.

robmcg

Visit site
Mine died. Internal circuit board was corroded badly. Sent it to NASA, they resurrected it with all new internals - even upgraded it to latest spec. I think it was under £100 door to door. I still think navtex has a place as not everywhere has a mobile signal. Also works well offshore.

Channel Sailor

Visit site
Mine is broken for the 2nd time. the first time was corrosion on the board which I fixed myself. Then water dripped through, which broke it again.

I miss it. But for inshore and coasting , I can do without.

Refueler

Visit site
I think if I was still south coast UK with Channel and possible North Sea ... then yes - I would be sorting replacement ... but Baltic is a bit quieter ...
Sitting on the fence for this one ...

Unit has 12v mains adaptor connected to it and will leave it for a day or so ... see if internal battery charge up helps. I did boost it earlier with a LiPo programmable charger ... but made no difference other than internal battery then showing 5v ... its a 3 cell NiCd by looks of it ..

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
When I sailed in the Baltic twenty years ago Navtex was a godsend, as the only other source was VHF announcements in languages nobody on board spoke.

Nowadays I’d assume you can get mobile data signal most places and not bother replacing it.

Pete

Refueler

Visit site
An advantage is that an English language forecast is available in all areas (provided it can be picked up!)

Thats the official statement ... but there are a few areas that do local language on 490Khz ... and do not send out on 518Khz the English version .. not all Baltic has English as example. Its one of the reasons I stopped bothering with it ... if I did get an English message come up - it was few and far between .....

NormanS

Visit site
I still have a NASA Navtex, and find it useful when we can't get internet. Yours may not be dead, I seem to remember that if it hasn't been used for a long time, it needs to be powered for something like twelve hours before it'll work.

Refueler

Visit site
I still have a NASA Navtex, and find it useful when we can't get internet. Yours may not be dead, I seem to remember that if it hasn't been used for a long time, it needs to be powered for something like twelve hours before it'll work.

It can be up to 40hours according the manual ... basically what happens is the internal rechargeable battery drains maintaining the memory .... it dies and the unit then loses the users settngs.

I have it on power now .. to see if it will resurrect .. I have my doubts as I did charge the battery direct and then tried .. but lets see what happens tomorrow after its been on power overnight etc.

NormanS

Visit site
If my navtex packs up I don't think that I would replace it sailing on the south coast. The internet and mobile reception has really moved on since I purchased my furuno.
I bought mine some years ago when the CG were playing silly buggers, and although sitting in their ops rooms being paid, were refusing to transmit their SAFETY Information Broadcast. Time has moved on since then with better mobile and internet (and many fewer Coast Guards).

Refueler

Visit site
It can be up to 40hours according the manual ... basically what happens is the internal rechargeable battery drains maintaining the memory .... it dies and the unit then loses the users settngs.

I have it on power now .. to see if it will resurrect .. I have my doubts as I did charge the battery direct and then tried .. but lets see what happens tomorrow after its been on power overnight etc.

Still dead ... will leave it another day ....

I have found an online 'live' Navtex site - so in fairness - the on-board Navtex for me is now unnecessary. In fact the online is better as the Filters are more accurate, I can read data much better as its separated for each item with clear date / time.
As long as I have mobile connection - I can update it ... I can print it .. I can print-screen etc. I can receive it on tablet .. phone or PC.

Skylark

Visit site
Depends almost entirely upon your cruising grounds and aspirations. At around 500kHz, it has a useful range beyond that of VHF and mobile phone and is less costly compared to satellite alternatives. In 2013 when spec’ing the toys for my new boat I decided not to include Navtex. I don’t regret that decision but I can see that Navtex still has a role.

If you still have the aerial and wiring in place, based upon other posts, it’s little money to send a piece of junk to NASA and have a new one returned.

Otherwise, presumably there will be a hole on your boat and you’ll have to find something else to fill it ?

Refueler

Visit site
Depends almost entirely upon your cruising grounds and aspirations. At around 500kHz, it has a useful range beyond that of VHF and mobile phone and is less costly compared to satellite alternatives. In 2013 when spec’ing the toys for my new boat I decided not to include Navtex. I don’t regret that decision but I can see that Navtex still has a role.

If you still have the aerial and wiring in place, based upon other posts, it’s little money to send a piece of junk to NASA and have a new one returned.

Otherwise, presumably there will be a hole on your boat and you’ll have to find something else to fill it ?

The only part that was actually mounted was the unit bracket. Antenna was free standing behind the divan cushion.
Sending back to NASA would be ideal if I lived in UK .. but being Latvia - the unit would return via Customs and have duty payable. Problem is that would be levied against units paper value - not the invoice.

Skylark

Visit site
The only part that was actually mounted was the unit bracket. Antenna was free standing behind the divan cushion.
Sending back to NASA would be ideal if I lived in UK .. but being Latvia - the unit would return via Customs and have duty payable. Problem is that would be levied against units paper value - not the invoice.
Sounds like an easy decision. Scrap bin it is.

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
The technology dates back to the 1930s. BT trialled it the 1970s but it did not become part of the GMDSS until about 2000. Although greatly outmoded, it is still the only source of weather and navigation warnings in sea area A2 - unless you have a satellite system. If you are rarely outside VHF range there is little reason to have it - except that it receives forecasts and nav warnings automatically and saves them. Having said that, using the internet you can get both when near land. And, of course, there is far more information online.
For anyone outside VHF range for, say, more than a day at a time, it is probably prudent to carry NAVTEX.

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
Still dead ... will leave it another day ....

I have found an online 'live' Navtex site - so in fairness - the on-board Navtex for me is now unnecessary. In fact the online is better as the Filters are more accurate, I can read data much better as its separated for each item with clear date / time.
As long as I have mobile connection - I can update it ... I can print it .. I can print-screen etc. I can receive it on tablet .. phone or PC.
And - out at sea? The whole point about NAVTEX is that it is designed for use beyond the fairway buoy.. Your online service is not.