• REMINDER - COVID-19

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as YBW, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health and liberty is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Users who are found to promulgate FAKE NEWS on the forum in regard to this issue, intentional or otherwise, may find their access terminated. It is your responsibility to provide references to bona fide sources.

FAKE NEWS, in this regard, is that which is posited by organisations, media, etc., that is repeated on the forum, or used to support personal opinion/hypothesis posted by users - FAKE NEWS is not necessarily the personal opinion/hypothesis being posted in itself, any issues with such should be challenged respectfully.

NASA Electromagnetic Log

nickcole

Hi - Last winter I installed the NASA Electromagnetic Log transducer and connected it to the Raymarine ST60+ display. NASA state that their transducer will work with any compatible NMEA 0183 display but it's not working. The display shows " - - - - ". The NASA controller NMEA light flashes, indicating that the signal output is okay. Am I missing a trick here?

pvb

The Nasa transducer outputs NMEA0183 sentences VHW and VLW. What sentences does the ST60+ require?

dolabriform

Hi - Last winter I installed the NASA Electromagnetic Log transducer and connected it to the Raymarine ST60+ display. NASA state that their transducer will work with any compatible NMEA 0183 display but it's not working. The display shows " - - - - ". The NASA controller NMEA light flashes, indicating that the signal output is okay. Am I missing a trick here?
Which ST60+ Display do you have?

nickcole

Not known - perhaps someone can advise..?
The Nasa transducer outputs NMEA0183 sentences VHW and VLW. What sentences does the ST60+ require?
[/QUOTE]

nickcole

Good questions. I naively thought I could just swap the old paddlewheel transducer for the electromagnetic one - based on my understanding that the NASA control box provided the necessary compatible output. For clarification I have a Raymarine SeaTalk ST60+ network of instruments.
I'll be on the boat in a few days so I can make further investigations regarding the current set-up. Anything else I should check?

pvb

Good questions. I naively thought I could just swap the old paddlewheel transducer for the electromagnetic one - based on my understanding that the NASA control box provided the necessary compatible output. For clarification I have a Raymarine SeaTalk ST60+ network of instruments.
I'll be on the boat in a few days so I can make further investigations regarding the current set-up. Anything else I should check?
I don't think you'll get it to work without a lot of messing about. Your easiest/cheapest solution would be to buy the matching Nasa display head for £85.

earlybird

There might be a further complication. The Tridata needs the paddlewheel transducer connected to it, otherwise it acts as a repeater for Seatalk. This will be OK for speed etc. if you connect a NMEA converter but you might lose your existing depth data since the display won't be able to act simultaneously as master for depth and repeater for log/speed.
Take PVB's advice.

cpedw

There might be a further complication. The Tridata needs the paddlewheel transducer connected to it, otherwise it acts as a repeater for Seatalk. This will be OK for speed etc. if you connect a NMEA converter but you might lose your existing depth data since the display won't be able to act simultaneously as master for depth and repeater for log/speed.
Take PVB's advice.
I think the Tridata allows depth and speed master/repeater to be set independently. But without NMEA to Seatalk it's no help.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
The OP has a network of ST 60 instruments, presumably linked by Seatalk. All he needs is to find one of the instruments with a vacant set of NMEA IN terminals, link the transducer output to that and that should work. IIRC there are a number of the ST60 series that have a set of NMEA IN terminals, anyone of them should do, including the autopilot computer/control head.

earlybird

The OP has a network of ST 60 instruments, presumably linked by Seatalk. All he needs is to find one of the instruments with a vacant set of NMEA IN terminals, link the transducer output to that and that should work. IIRC there are a number of the ST60 series that have a set of NMEA IN terminals, anyone of them should do, including the autopilot computer/control head.
Not necessarily. For instance, my ST60 Graphic, which is a fairly general purpose repeater, does not recognise the NASA NMEA VHW and VLW according to the manual that I have.

dolabriform

Looks like the Smart Pilot will accept the VHW sentence, but not the VLW sentence.
Two options I can think of,
1) Raymarine E85001
2) The ST60+ Multi display that I have sitting around and might be looking to sell. This will convert NMEA to Seatalk but I can't remember off the top of my head if it supports the needed ones