My nwe buisiness

davidpetertucker

Visit site
Red Diesel will still be available at low duty rates if the vessel is commercial.
Does any one know how commercial is to be defined.
For example if I decide to start a business taking photographs from my boat of the coast etc. in the hope that I can sell them; would this be allowable.

sarabande

Visit site
the usual test is how much % of the time is the vessel engaged on business work, and how much on personal.

I don't think the Rev 'n C people would be happy to see 90% business without an associated profit and loss statement. Maybe your accountant could advise on how much you might be expected to make from marine photography, and what sort of expenses are fully and wholly justifiable.

I think that somewhere in the regulations, the Customs have powers to seize a vessel if it is using illegal red. That's certainly the case for farm vehicles /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

sarabande

Visit site
If you use red in a Landrover that spends almost all its time on the farm, that's OK, but when you use it on the road, then ooops.

Which is why we use white diesel in the Mule.

A proper tractor is OK for red ,but has a limit of 6km/day, I believe, before it should use white.

Rev'n C often wait outside farmers' markets and check tanks.

SolentPhill

Visit site
They also walk round ag show car parks taking swabs from the exhaust pipe outlet.

does a business have to make a profit? if you have good intent of it making and seen to do the right things then??

but as we know this is just another part of a big con that has not been thought out right, I was joking with someone over the weekend as he filled m eup and said if you fill me up after Nov with 500 Lts put me down as commercial, I will give you £50 cash each time no questions asked, he said as long as I do over weekends last thing.

Just goes to show its not what you know. I guess if darling gets a few mill from us he wont care what happens and the more they chase the more it will cost.

Unless your followed in 3 yrs time you are out at sea and get a visit and they check who knows where your fuel has come from and how can they prove it.

rubberduck

www.atlas-courier-express.co.uk
My new business is to be counting the little fishes to see if they are being over fished. I might even get a small grant to help. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

adrianm

Visit site
Reading in PBO that C & E want paper trails back to each individual boat. I expect commercial boats will have to produce some sort of registration at fill up.

When they see a huge increase in class 1 registered boats I expect they'll start demanding to see invoices for services rendered etc as happened in Spain a few years ago.

wotayottie

Visit site
Cant help but think that if we really fiddle the proposed system, we will end up having to use white just like everyone else in the EU.

lenseman

www.dswmarineengineering.com
[ QUOTE ]
If you use red in a Landrover that spends almost all its time on the farm, that's OK, but when you use it on the road, then ooops.

Which is why we use white diesel in the Mule.

A proper tractor is OK for red ,but has a limit of 6km/day, I believe, before it should use white.

Rev'n C often wait outside farmers' markets and check tanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Whoops, I think you might be getting a few facts wrong here!

I had a sheep farm in the mountains of central mid Wales and often did sillage contracting with my tractor.

A farmer can use his Land Rover ON the public highway using red diesel as long as it is solely for farm use. This means towing a trailer full of sheep to the abattoirs, going to get feed, moving from field to field in the course of farming, mending fences etc.

If he goes to town for a drink at the pub in the evening or goes for a weekend away visiting relatives or uses it to go to the cinema, then this is clearly not farm use and he/she can be prosecuted. This (the prosecution) very rarely happens.

The 6km clause refers to whether a tractor needs to be taxed for use on the public highway and is nothing to do with red diesel. Mine was taxed, £9 if I remember correctly in the 1980's, as I travelled far and wide contracting.

If your tractor just 'crosses' a public highway to get from one field to the next then it obviously does not travel further than 6km and does not require a road fund licence (tax disc) BUT it needs to be fully insured!

So, if you use your vehicle for social use then duty need to be paid. My Land Rover was a Series III LWB Safari petrol.

EDIT: Agricultural Shows and shopping for food for the family are deemed to be not farm use and therefore illegal if using red. If you are displaying at an Ag show, you have an arguable case for allowing the use of farm vehicles using red.

Other threads that may be of interest