My new gaff saddle (pics)

Visit site
Marihøna's old gaff saddle was wearing thin after some 50 yrs, so I took the plunge and steamed in with my first ever leatherwork.
The leather was supplied by Wilkinson Sails of Faversham.
About 5-6mm thick, it fought back.. but eventually got bent into the complex curves needed.
Then it was sewn on to the metal saddle with thick whipping twine.
Immersion and constant stirring in Neatsfoot Oil for 3 days relaxed the hide into its future destiny, and made it extremely slimy..just what is needed for another 1/2-century!
Quite chuffed with the eventual result, I also made a cheeky knife sheath.
One of those knives was forgedIMG_0473.JPGIMG_0474.JPGIMG_0475.JPGIMG_0476.JPG on the same forge in Norway where her keel bolts were made in 1956.

Visit site
Getting there Mr T.
The trouble is that, (like other things in life I could mention..)
when you finally become expert in the techniques, you are too far decrepit to take advantage :p

(By the way, the guy in this month's avatar is Hilaire Belloc. He was an intrepid yachtsman, loving nothing better than battering through gales in an ancient, and rather ropey, 1890's pilot cutter, singing songs and drinking copious quantities of wine. A man after my own heart!
"..So always keep a grip on nurse,
for fear of finding something worse.."

I've got his book and another by one of his crew, called 'Sailing With Belloc'. Not for the fainthearted, or indeed the politically correct, reader, but damn good dits.

Last edited:

DownWest

Visit site
Like it..
I did gaff saddles for a friend with a 34ft Pinky Ketch. We laboured over the forge with the 4mm plate and bent them over some tube, then welde on the brackets. He later did the leather bits, but lost it all when run down in the Atlantic coming back from Madeira.

Visit site
Getting there Mr T.
The trouble is that, (like other things in life I could mention..)
when you finally become expert in the techniques, you are too far decrepit to take advantage :p
For my schooner I made metal bit to take lugs for the hinge to the gaff then laminated a grp saddle over a mound which an old pressure cooker turned out to have the correct shape.......then sewed leather on both front and back.
There's nothing wrong with a cheeky GRP fabrication on an old gaffer..as long as nobody notices.. bit like like riding a Lambretta :)

FinesseChris

Visit site
Marihøna's old gaff saddle was wearing thin after some 50 yrs, so I took the plunge and steamed in with my first ever leatherwork.
The leather was supplied by Wilkinson Sails of Faversham.
About 5-6mm thick, it fought back.. but eventually got bent into the complex curves needed.
Then it was sewn on to the metal saddle with thick whipping twine.
Immersion and constant stirring in Neatsfoot Oil for 3 days relaxed the hide into its future destiny, and made it extremely slimy..just what is needed for another 1/2-century!
Quite chuffed with the eventual result, I also made a cheeky knife sheath.
One of those knives was forgedView attachment 92383View attachment 92384View attachment 92385View attachment 92386 on the same forge in Norway where her keel bolts were made in 1956.
Lovely stuff..

I got mine made, which took ages, leading to irritated phone calls with the reply "we are just leathering your saddle for you now, sir". Irresistably reminded of Julian & Sandy.