My first boat - buying tomorrow fingers crossed (advice pls)

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Look on Facebook marketplace for one in your area. More than likely will be a 10" wheel so a TrailClamp or get one where it pinces the rim and size won't matter. Need locking wheelnuts in that case.
bulldog-wheel-clamps-(product-zoom).jpg

Brill thanks. Going to try find one today.

limecc

Visit site
So you link the trailer to the boat battery first somehow? Then connect this up ?
Not the trailer, hide the unit somewhere in the Sunray's hull or behind the instruments. Cable tie or Velcro it where it can't be seen. That way you're covered for the thing of value. Nearly had my RIB taken once, country pub in the middle of nowhere, private mooring. Four youths around my boat and one actually on it. What a nerve, good job they were amateurs. It's considered bad form to lock it to a mooring, but now if there's high risk I'll use my Python lock and take the flack, or else move on. They were going to use the oars and the river current would have taken them out of sight downstream until they could get the engine started. Members of the public continued to feed the swans either unaware or not bothered what they were up to.

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Screenshot_20220120-154358_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220120-161021_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220120-155718_eBay.jpg

Perusing through my trusted screw fix catalogue.. Will this suffice and also satisfy the insurance? Seems cheap at £35 I'm guessing 13 to 17 inch is ok? Can't tell the size from the pic ? Or perhaps the one from Halford... £125

Last edited:

limecc

Visit site
BP's right it's 13" and the Maypole lock looks like it will take more grinding, plus is cheaper so..

Nemesis on Amazon Prime looks best of a bad bunch.

Screwfix probably won't have it for collection in time.

Last edited:

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
BP's right it's 13" and the Maypole lock looks like it will take more grinding, plus is cheaper so..

Nemesis on Amazon Prime looks best of a bad bunch.

Screwfix probably won't have it for collection in time.

Thanks.. ordered from screwfix before 6pm... Will be here before 1130am tomorrow. I'm setting off in the afternoon.

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
The clamp linked below is good value and will deter a chance it type of thief. It will also most likely be sufficient for the insurance. It is not the strongest but is ok. A determined Thief will get into almost anything. Also you dont want to make it a pain for you to put on and off

Heavy Duty Wheel Clamp Security Lock Safe Car Van Vehicle Trailer/ 2 Keys | eBay

Screenshot_20220120-173256_Chrome.jpg

Thanks. Ebay will take time to deliver. Thoughts on this one looks similar in halfords. Can pickup tonight... put on the other wheel in addition to the one I'm buying from screwfix?

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Not the trailer, hide the unit somewhere in the Sunray's hull or behind the instruments. Cable tie or Velcro it where it can't be seen. That way you're covered for the thing of value. Nearly had my RIB taken once, country pub in the middle of nowhere, private mooring. Four youths around my boat and one actually on it. What a nerve, good job they were amateurs. It's considered bad form to lock it to a mooring, but now if there's high risk I'll use my Python lock and take the flack, or else move on. They were going to use the oars and the river current would have taken them out of sight downstream until they could get the engine started. Members of the public continued to feed the swans either unaware or not bothered what they were up to.

Shocking behaviour... gotta be vigilant... wonder if you can setup a nice electric current so they get a shock when they touch it (I jest... maybe ?)

Hangie

Visit site