My first boat - buying tomorrow fingers crossed (advice pls)

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
PROGRESS UPDATE: managed to escape Yorkshire and heading back South now in order to caresss... urm I mean polish "the cod father" ... yes that name just doesn't sound right ?

Strange I didn't get stopped at the Sheffield border... lucky as left our passports at home ?

Screenshot_20220123-155020_Gallery.jpg

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Eagerly awaiting the results of your negotiation.

Oh yes almost forgot... so here's the story of my win win ?

So as I mentioned earlier, was 50/50 on the boat as the marine engineer couldn't get the engine started. Seller was surprised as one of his employees advised he tested it a week prior. ?

A few hours had elapsed of boat checking so the seller asked if I wanted to have a private chat with sea monkey but I was comfortable having the chat in the open... ?

So sea monkey said its either the starter or the solenoid but he also advised that it was he who replaced it just 2 years ago... so seller asked how much would that cost and he replied approx £500... ?

We then proceeded indoors to the negotiation table... initially I intimated that as I had not heard the engine running then I'm only taking his word for it and now two minds about buying. ?

I'm a fair guy and always want to ensure buyer and seller are both content... and at this point still content with paying around £9,100 so kept quiet and let seller negotiate himself.

Seller, with pen and paper at hand, wrote down the starting winning bid number... so he wrote down "engine repair" and before writing minus £500 I mentioned that would be up north prices and down south it would be more... so he wrote down minus £1,000 ?

I said there was a little rip in the upholstery (was about 3 cm on the back panel covering the motor). Seller wrote down "upholstery upgrade" with a minus £500 against it ?

I also asked sea monkey to check the trailer which was a good brand and been recently refurbished too so in my head thinking that alone is maybe £1.5k?

So the total came down to £7,600. I then advised I would paint the underside and that's another £100 so let's shake on £7,500... hands were shook ? ... I felt I could have gone lower knowing he just wanted it gone but like I said I'm fair and happy that he was content too.

The bill of sale was drawn up and we both signed. He also gave a written guarantee that if the boat goes on the water and it doesn't work he will take it back at the price sold. ✒

** BUT ** when we came back out Sea Monkey with an accomplished look in his eye said "I've resolved it, something was wrong with the key so I gave it a little wriggle" ... I looked at seller... seller looked at me ?

Sea monkey went to turn the hosepipe on and seller turned to me and said, if it works then he will still honour the final negotiated price. I will have made a saving ... and if not then I have some money to fix her up... me inside = ?

Sea monkey turned that key... first smoke then a loud engine noise... it was working... ? what a great day. Told my wife she was happy... the girls sat in and they loved it too.

The final thing is the seller actually bought a cover for it unused as he had in a warehouse all this time... gave it to me... Daddy's happy ?

Delivery driver arrives in time... takes it to my home... we stay in Yorkshire and celebrate our birthdays (daughter and mine)

Screenshot_20220123-165107_Chrome.jpg

Seastoke

Visit site
PROGRESS UPDATE: managed to escape Yorkshire and heading back South now in order to caresss... urm I mean polish "the cod father" ... yes that name just doesn't sound right ?

Strange I didn't get stopped at the Sheffield border... lucky as left our passports at home ?

View attachment 129061
You should have made a detour through god’s little acre.

Ian h

Visit site
Regards Props I had a Fletcher 17GTS with the same engine, Managed just over 40mph with just myself and half tank of fuel and had a Doel Fin fitted which lifted the stern.
I had only about foot of boat in the water and was a bit scary .
Started with a 3 blade prop BUT swapped to 4 blade as used the boat for towing inflatables and water skis and wakeboard and the 4 blade gave a better hole shoot for getting up on the plane.

Seastoke

Visit site

View attachment 129061
When i was approaching that sign i turned off as i was heading dane saaaaf,

limecc

Visit site
Regards Props I had a Fletcher 17GTS with the same engine, Managed just over 40mph with just myself and half tank of fuel and had a Doel Fin fitted which lifted the stern.
I had only about foot of boat in the water and was a bit scary .
Started with a 3 blade prop BUT swapped to 4 blade as used the boat for towing inflatables and water skis and wakeboard and the 4 blade gave a better hole shoot for getting up on the plane.
Mine came with a Doel Fin and I was very skeptical having heard stories how they were unpredictable in certain seas so I took it off and found out how much better my boat was with it fitted. Planes at lower speed and creates much less wake at displacement.

Last year I switched a damaged OEM prop to a four blade stainless Solas as I figured having less slip at mid rpm's would be better for fuel economy and work better with a loaded boat. But with just me it's bouncing the rev limiter hard so no loss of top end, and it's revving too near max rpm for my liking at 25kn which is a nice cruising speed for my boat. I had some cupping added but only a slight improvement and I noticed torque steer for the first time. I've added NFB steering for that and will use the Solas for family days out. For solo use, needed greater pitch hence me buying this Hustler. At the price it was cheaper than buying something generic from China, it's a three blade though as that's all they do in my gear case size. Too bad, the four blade is special because it has their patented 'dual geometry' shaped blades which they claim retains the top end of a 3 blade while having the advantages of 4. Also radial exhaust vent holes to introduce slip over the blades at low rpm to spin it up for faster holeshot. Dunno how much to believe but I've never seen a bad review. Everyone raves about them, we'll see. Sorry for the long winded post.

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Incredible discount - even more so given it was running before you took it! Congrats!

Thanks and yes... not a bad weekend... I had a few pilot lessons sometime ago... May start looking for a plane soon see if I can get a food deal ?(need more lessons though).

Well done Tony, Happy Birthday and sounds like the seller was a proper Gentleman, fair play to him ?

Thank you Nito.... and yes was yes an absolute proper gentlemen. Old school values just like mine ?

TonyBerkshire

Visit site
Screenshot_20220123-222957_Gallery.jpg
Ok, got home... albeit the tyre appears a little flat, shouldn't the delivery guy have put the circle yellow part of the clamp flush with the wheel? Or is it the wrong size clamp ? (13 to 17)

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I have a couple of those clamps and yes it is assembled Wrong. They are interesting shall I say to assemble and you sort of need to sit on the floor to do it right which people don’t like to do in the winter.

You did very well with that price and got it for what I would call pre Stacation prices. I bought 3 boats of that type but with outboards about 6 - 8 years ago and paid about £6-7,000. At that time. So you did very well indeed. As you said a very fair person to deal with

Now enjoy finding things about it at your leisure. Don’t be tempted to start it without muffs and water though as it can ruin the water pump impeller