My COVID-19 Lockdown Project: 10” Android Car Stereo to Navionics Chart Plotter

stu9000

Visit site
Very impressed: if refitting a chart table setup I'd certainly consider it. Anyone tested it actually outdoors, ie on a wheel console location: looking at the touchscreen it looks as though if the back was sealed it would be fine. Do raindrops/spray mess up the touchscreen functions? The touchscreen "real" plotters seem to be OK these days, mine certainly is.

A package deal with prewired cables and a set of installation instructions etc could sell.....

Works well under the spray hood. Still functions with damp fingers although I'd be wary of having it in an exposed location as it isn't marinised. Brilliant in right sun. Worked flawlessly in very hot conditions. Mine takes about 5 mins for the GPS to lock on. It would likely be quicker if the antenna was not buried amongst the cabling in the case.

stu9000

Visit site
Getting AIS to show up would be a real plus as currently it only appears on the helm plotter which can be a bit exposed. I bought the yakka WiFi splitter thingy which seems simple enough,,, but which wires come off the AIS box?

Attachments

• ais1.jpg
    ais1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Stingo

Visit site
Just sipping a glass of Portugal's finest while pondering about important things like this Android radio/chart plotter project. Those reversing cameras that you can add.... what about one in the bottom of the hull, near the depth transducer, so in clear waters you can see the bottom? Am open to ideas about how to make it 100% waterproof. They're probably at best rain proof.
In an ideal world, I'd like a "reversing" camera in the bow at 45°, one looking down at the prop, and one mid-ships, as mentioned.

Andrew_Trayfoot

Visit site
We had a play with mine in the Solent back in August. It worked quite well on the bow and behind the engine. I've waterproofed the cable as best I can, but not had the bottle to stick It over the site yet...

tbraunstein

Visit site
Hi. Great job. Thought about this solution the other day as we currently have no marine GPS installed and descently sized chartplotters are pretty expensive. I started searching and found your nice solution. I was wondering if it is possible to combine the Android with a fishfinder/sonar? You probably already thought about this?

Laser310

Visit site
Cool Project!

Perhaps I missed it.., but does it use an internal GPS?

These radios usually have wifi - can you get NMEA 0183 in?

Andrew_Trayfoot

Visit site
Hi. Great job. Thought about this solution the other day as we currently have no marine GPS installed and descently sized chartplotters are pretty expensive. I started searching and found your nice solution. I was wondering if it is possible to combine the Android with a fishfinder/sonar? You probably already thought about this?
Navionics supports bringing in depth data so that is doable. The depth data needs gps position in the same nmea sentence which my aging Garmin fish 100 does not support so have not tried this. There other apps that will display the depth nmea data.

Andrew_Trayfoot

Visit site
Cool Project!

Perhaps I missed it.., but does it use an internal GPS?

These radios usually have wifi - can you get NMEA 0183 in?
The unit has an external GPS that is about 1" square, so I buried mine in the box. Has worked with no issues even in my garage.

I get NMEA data in over WiFi from a Yacker NMEA WiFi bridge.

Alicatt

Visit site
Nice alternative use of an item, well done.
I was using a Lenovo tablet laptop in my car for mapping and route finding while off-road driving, recently I got a 10" Android tablet and have been using this for my mapping and during the summer I put it in a plastic bag for navigating round the canals in Friesland.
Using a RAM mount to hold the laptop showing 1:10,000 topographic map of Belgium, Memory Map also offer marine charts too, tho I have never used them.
KxTXins.jpg

Route planning on an self imported digital data map from the Spanish cartographic service (Free service)
hktgisG.jpg

Vaartkart for the Friesland lakes which is also a free service offered to tourists, on my Android tablet.
VzCTR5A.jpg

chewi

Visit site
The Android Radio works very well Screen is bright price less then 55 pounds Android 9 1GB 16gb storage. Works very well with Navionics. Use Wifi for Ais
what aerial do you have? I bought one similar to the OPs suggestion but it doesn't get any stations under 102.3Mhz eg Classic fm on 100.3.

freddyuk

Visit site
Finally installed......... it has been a long project due to boat being locked down. The flexible mounting means screen can be moved around or pushed to the side out of the way. The rather large compass blocking the dashboard was removed as a small emergency compass is all that is required. A piece of bath panel was a very close match to cover the hole. This is on a Merryfisher 805.
Many thanks to the OP for the idea in the first place.

Attachments

• 20210326_143439.jpg
    20210326_143439.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 20210328_151042.jpg
    20210328_151042.jpg
    568.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 20210328_151342.jpg
    20210328_151342.jpg
    521.9 KB · Views: 88

chewi

Visit site
I discovered the reversing camera ( included in the unit the OP suggested) actually reverses left and right as well as overlaying reversing zone lines. In my experiments. It is also a light. So I can use it for that.

I redeployed an analogue 12V cctv camera instead, which does not create the left/right inversion nor add the reversing zone lines and works directly off the phono line.

Any outdoor cctv camera should be at least IP66 waterproof, but perhaps not for immersion. I would rather fit a USB camera on a wander stick but I have yet to find one that isn't a short focus endoscope.
I fitted it in a "Really Useful" box lid with connections within the box and ex PC speakers on the sides.

gregcope

Visit site
I discovered the reversing camera ( included in the unit the OP suggested) actually reverses left and right as well as overlaying reversing zone lines. In my experiments. It is also a light. So I can use it for that.

I redeployed an analogue 12V cctv camera instead, which does not create the left/right inversion nor add the reversing zone lines and works directly off the phono line.

Any outdoor cctv camera should be at least IP66 waterproof, but perhaps not for immersion. I would rather fit a USB camera on a wander stick but I have yet to find one that isn't a short focus endoscope.
I fitted it in a "Really Useful" box lid with connections within the box and ex PC speakers on the sides.

Is the reversing camera not just usb on different connections? And therefore you could replace it with another?

Andrew_Trayfoot

Visit site
Have now added a waterproof usb pass through connector to mine. So I now have external usb access for a mouse add...

Other thing to note is that the glass screens are a bit vulnerable. Mine is slightly cracked in one corner. My add a besel at some point as a bit of protection as I like to take it home when not on the boat.