My COVID-19 Lockdown Project: 10” Android Car Stereo to Navionics Chart Plotter

Andrew_Trayfoot

Visit site
The flying lead that you can see going through the hatch is the speaker cable.
Will run it via the instrument panel next winter as it is a bit if a job to get the cable there...

stu9000

Visit site
Thanks for posting Andrew. Fascinating.

The Car Stereo you linked to was out of stock.
Is this ebay item a suitable spec?
I could not see any measure of screen brightness.
Are these units generally good for brightness?

Have you experienced any glitches with the car launcher app?
Some of the reviews cited a few issues.

Did you hit any tech issues when creating your setup?

Thanks again.

S

Andrew_Trayfoot

Visit site
Thanks for posting Andrew. Fascinating.

The Car Stereo you linked to was out of stock.
Is this ebay item a suitable spec?
I could not see any measure of screen brightness.
Are these units generally good for brightness?

Have you experienced any glitches with the car launcher app?
Some of the reviews cited a few issues.

Did you hit any tech issues when creating your setup?

Thanks again.

S

That looks the same as the one I got (and cheaper!) The brightness is pretty good I can defiantly see it well enough on a bright day.

They are made for cars so have to contend with bright daylight anyway. The main thing is that you can run them at full brightness without worrying about pulling more power than the charging system can keep up with. This is the big problem with a tablet.

I played with a few launchers and ended up with this one:

AGAMA Car Launcher - Apps on Google Play

No real technical issues.

Took me a couple of attempts to find an FM Ariel that was any good.

I faffed about trying to find a mounting solution. In the end I harvested a camera tripod female thread off a broken camcorder. Then used a butterfly bolt through the shelf and a bit of tufnol you can see in the picture.

If you PM me we could do a Zoom secession and I'll show it to you properly if you like.

Andrew

stu9000

Visit site
That looks the same as the one I got (and cheaper!) The brightness is pretty good I can defiantly see it well enough on a bright day.

They are made for cars so have to contend with bright daylight anyway. The main thing is that you can run them at full brightness without worrying about pulling more power than the charging system can keep up with. This is the big problem with a tablet.

I played with a few launchers and ended up with this one:

AGAMA Car Launcher - Apps on Google Play

No real technical issues.

Took me a couple of attempts to find an FM Ariel that was any good.

I faffed about trying to find a mounting solution. In the end I harvested a camera tripod female thread off a broken camcorder. Then used a butterfly bolt through the shelf and a bit of tufnol you can see in the picture.

If you PM me we could do a Zoom secession and I'll show it to you properly if you like.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew

salty-shanty

Visit site
Nice project. i did something similar recently but its a little more complicated and cost more than your solution but nevertheless still a fraction of going down the Raymarine route.. Android tablet down below running Navionics, connecting to a waterproof (ip68 sealed front screen) touch screen (10") monitor at the binnacle. This means i have navionics showing in parallel both at the helm binnacle and down at the nav station. The touch screen monitor is certainly brighter than the 20 year old Raymarine colour plotter it replaced.

The Android tablet outputs hdmi to the helm monitor. The touch screen usb at the monitor doesn't work directly back to the android but connects via a mini pc i have down below. A program called vysor running on both the tablet and the pc extends the mouse control from the touch screen monitor to the tablet . I use the mini pc also to run Sky go on the tv down below (I also put a 4g modem at the top of the mast, but that's a different project to tell)

I mounted the tablet in a kiosk style case at the nav station (even though its metal it still receives gps reception from the inbuilt tablet gps just fine (sees as many satellites as up top out of the case) . Ipad 4 case on ebay which was approx £25 did the job for a 10" Android tablet with a bit of modification......

parts were

monitor

Iiyama TF1015MC-B2 iiyama ProLite TF1015MC-B2 Shop UK : Ballicom.co.uk : Buy

Android

Neocore E1 10.1inch Google Android Tablet PC (2GB RAM, 10h+ battery, British Brand, HD Screen, 512GB SD Card slot, Quad Core, Dual Camera, Play Store, HDMI, GPS) (Space Grey): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

android case

Anti-Theft Tablet Security Case Holder - Metal Heavy Duty Vesa Wall Mount Tablet Kiosk, Mounts on Surface, Landscape/Portrait Mounting, Designed for iPad 2, 3, 4, Air, Air 2 Tablets - Pyle PSPADLKW06: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

mini pc

Beelink BT3 Pro II Mini PC Intel Atom x5-Z8350 Processor DDR3 4GB/64GB 3D EMMC/Dual Band WiFi/Intel HD Graphics / 4K /HDMI+VGA Dual Screen Display Windows 10 Mini PC: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

cheers...S

differentroads

blog.offbeatsadventures.com
I've a confession to make. I only clicked on this post to sneer at yet another tech idea thats just a clever electronic solution looking for a problem to solve (Raspberry Pi fans, I'm talking about you). 3 pages later I have to admit:
a. Its a proper PBO project. Ingenuity, DIY and determination to save money against having to buy something ridiculously expensive. Chapeau.
b. I want one. I've got the plywood, the wires, the switches, an Ebay account and an ability to slowly and diligently follow instructions. I might have to come back here for help later on though!

Thanks

Andrew_Trayfoot

Visit site
Great. Is there any chance that you could upload it to dropbox or similar and then post a link, please?
I've a confession to make. I only clicked on this post to sneer at yet another tech idea thats just a clever electronic solution looking for a problem to solve (Raspberry Pi fans, I'm talking about you). 3 pages later I h
ave to admit:
a. Its a proper PBO project. Ingenuity, DIY and determination to save money against having to buy something ridiculously expensive. Chapeau.
b. I want one. I've got the plywood, the wires, the switches, an Ebay account and an ability to slowly and diligently follow instructions. I might have to come back here for help later on though!

Thanks
Thanks for the compliment... :)

If you need any help let me know...
Andrew

Hadenough

Visit site
Can you receive LW for the shipping forecast?
Can anyone. Unless that is, you are standing outside in the rain, in exactly the right position, hanging over the transom with the transistor radio glued to your ear, the note book perched precariously on the gunwhale getting wet and realising that you have left the pencil in the saloon. ?

stu9000

Visit site
I got mine working on a recent four night trip. Very VERY pleased. It needs a screen dimmer app to protect night vision. Plenty bright enough in the day. Picked up GPS no problem. Runs navionics without lagging. Thanks Andrew.