Multiple satellites tonight

xyachtdave

Visit site
Forgive my ignorance - does the ISS move across the sky relative to the viewer ? I could see a very bright stationary object last night; could that have been it?

If you look on one of the ISS tracker websites it’ll tell you what time and where to look for it relative
It’s roughly lapping the earth every 90 minutes in a sine wave pattern, so better some days than others.
When it appears it’s travelling quite quickly and is visible for a few minutes.
I reckon you can make the ‘H’ shape out, assuming reflection on solar panel etc.

When I last looked, as it approached the coast of Cornwall, by the time I went outside it was overhead!

Denek

Visit site
I have been out tonight and seen dozens of satellites. Most I think are either space x starlink or could be Telestat Leo. These were very bright as they are in low orbit as I understand it. The space x ones when first launched were something like 60 in a row. Google it, it’s quite a sight.

Richard10002

Visit site
My wife thought it was a meteor shower, but I thought they were a bit too regular to be a shower - more like a series of Space Stations passing over.

xyachtdave

Visit site
I believe there was a meteor shower visible last night.

I didn’t take a look myself, I always worry I’ll wake up blind the following morning, reading The Day of the Triffids as a young child the reason!

Denek

Visit site
Didn’t see a single meteor. I think it peaks on Wednesday but in the early hours of the morning. These are definitely satellites meteors only last for a very short time Although some can leave a trail that lasts for a few seconds Since we have clear skies all week I will try again. Means staying up past my usual 9.30 though?

Buttybean

Visit site
Yes, they launched another 60 via a rocket yesterday, if you were out looking at 20:52 you would have seen it fly over, 22 minutes from a standing start at the Kennedy Space Centre to overhead the UK at 17,000mph

johnalison

Visit site
Rather them than me. I was watching V-sauce on YouTube about space travel. After a week or two they suffer all sorts of things, including swelling around the optic nerve, and rats develop plaques resembling Alzheimers, let alone the well-known loss of bone and muscle.

Denek

Visit site
Actually did get up at three in the morning on Wednesday. The meteor shower was directly overhead saw a few before I got cold and gave up. Most were very faint with short tails but did see a couple of bright ones too with longer tails. Lots of satelites too.