Mullion issues on Sealine F42

David Ramos

Visit site
Hi, I’m new to the forum and hope some one can help. I have a Sealine F42. They seam to have an issue with the mullions. Anyone out there that knows about this issue knows why it has happened. Does anyone know a DIY fix. I’m struggling to believe it’s a £30,000 fix which are the quotes coming in. The wholes that caused the problem have been filled but now I need where to go from here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

CLB

Visit site
You seem to be posting this on all the wrong forums. Try the MOBO forum but maybe be a little more specific about what the actual problem is. I have read both of your posts and still don't know what is wrong with your boat/mullions.

NJAY01

Visit site
Hi, I’m new to the forum and hope some one can help. I have a Sealine F42. They seam to have an issue with the mullions. Anyone out there that knows about this issue knows why it has happened. Does anyone know a DIY fix. I’m struggling to believe it’s a £30,000 fix which are the quotes coming in. The wholes that caused the problem have been filled but now I need where to go from here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi David, I can help here. The Sealine front screen is bonded to support weight of the flybridge. There is styrene foam between GRP. When the foam was added, the factory sat the structure on wooden blocks for foam to set. Unfortunately, screws were used to fix the structure to wooden blocks. The problem arose because the screw holes were not filled in properly. Water gets into GRP through the holes and reacts with styrene foam impacting structural integrity and cosmetics. The GRP ouzed mucky brown resin. To fix the problem, the foam is removed and replaced with glass fibre reinforcement.
Job now costs £32k and the F46 has the same issue. I know Desty Marine are used to do the work. Sealine couldn’t honour the fix on all the boats because they went into administration.

DREAMERTR

Visit site
Forgot to give a bit detail that it's a 2005 with Volvo 2x375hp smallest version of engines (2300 engine hours, heavy duty maintenance done last summer). I am not after speed, moving from one place more economicallly and less maintenance costs are more important so maybe this engine suits me better?

NJAY01

Visit site
Hello. Is this a problem to expect also for the f42/5? I am interested in buying one. What else to watch for?
No the issue is unique to the F42/46 mistake made during the manufacturing process. I can’t help with your engine choice as not my area of expertise.

DREAMERTR

Visit site
Thanks. If I understood correctly, these are 2 models: F42 and F46 with issues
And I can be worry free for F42/5.

Just to make sure as problem is quite a costly one :)

NJAY01

Visit site
Thanks. If I understood correctly, these are 2 models: F42 and F46 with issues
And I can be worry free for F42/5.

Just to make sure as problem is quite a costly one :)
All I can say is, I have not heard of the problem on the F42/5. The most important thing is to have a full survey conducted on the boat your buying. I would also speak to a couple of Sealine dealers (TBS Boats and Burton Waters), to ask what common things tend to go wrong with the model you are looking to buy. The ask the person doing the survey to look out for these issue. The survey should give you peace of mind and any decent surveyor will know the model history.

jayveekay

Visit site
Hi David, I can help here. The Sealine front screen is bonded to support weight of the flybridge. There is styrene foam between GRP. When the foam was added, the factory sat the structure on wooden blocks for foam to set. Unfortunately, screws were used to fix the structure to wooden blocks. The problem arose because the screw holes were not filled in properly. Water gets into GRP through the holes and reacts with styrene foam impacting structural integrity and cosmetics. The GRP ouzed mucky brown resin. To fix the problem, the foam is removed and replaced with glass fibre reinforcement.
Job now costs £32k and the F46 has the same issue. I know Desty Marine are used to do the work. Sealine couldn’t honour the fix on all the boats because they went into administration.

Does anyone know if this applies to all F42's and how serious is it structurally? Is it enough to conduct a moisture measurement on the GRP? Or, is the damage, if it exists, typically visible on the mullions?

Thanks!
Jay