Mud moorings outside portishead marina

contessaman

Visit site
Does anyone know how or who administers the drying moorings in the mud just outside the lock of portishead marina ? Seem to be a few boats there I keep my yacht in the marina but have often mused at the thought of a day sailer kept there for a little evening sail an hour either side of high water etc. grateful for any info, cheers

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Does anyone know how or who administers the drying moorings in the mud just outside the lock of portishead marina ? Seem to be a few boats there I keep my yacht in the marina but have often mused at the thought of a day sailer kept there for a little evening sail an hour either side of high water etc. grateful for any info, cheers
Keep away from the hole (if it is still there!).

I dried out there the evening before the Queen opened Avonmouth docks and nearly fell over sideways.

Scary!

graham

Visit site
Keep away from the hole (if it is still there!).

I dried out there the evening before the Queen opened Avonmouth docks and nearly fell over sideways.

Scary!
That would have been Queen Victoria , Avonmouth Dock was opened in 1877? Royal Portbury Dock on the other side of the river opened a hundred years later.

I remember going to the last Portishead Dock rally. The one and only lock out was about 5 o clock in the morning into a strong Westerly wind and pouring rain. Soon cleared the hangovers.!

Last edited:

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
That would have been Queen Victoria , Avonmouth Dock was opened in 1877? Royal Portbury Dock on the other side of the river opened a hundred years later.

I remember going to the last Portishead Dock rally. The one and only lock out was about 5 o clock in the morning into a strong Westerly wind and pouring rain. Soon cleared the hangovers.!
Yes - we attended that as well.;)

jeanne

Visit site
We used to keep our boat on a mooring in the Hole. Most boats that moor there are members of Portishead Cruising Club. Not sure who is there at the moment. So, may be useful to talk to someone there. The moorings are wide open to a NE at HW, so care is needed. And best not to leave a boat there in winter.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Portishead Cruising Club own a couple and the others are privately owned, though I think by PCC members. I know of no problems on existing moorings even in winter, as the fetch is limited and the outer banks break the force of waves even when covered

Setting a new mooring there or anchoring amongst the moorings is a skill. With bad luck you can dry out practically on your side, with worse luck and poor planning you dry out with stern down in the mud and sink on next rising tide. So it may well be that there is no room for more moorings. Speak to PCC however.

I however have happy memories of waiting many a tide there, but then my regular mooring was the sometime rocky foreshore at Lydney, and no one uses that anymore. The fumes from phosphorus factory residue in the water gave some amusement though the developers claim to have cleaned it all up

zoidberg

Visit site
What's happened to Portishead Cruising Club? An internet search indicates their clubhouse has been sold....

Last edited:

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
PCC considered selling their Pill Club house to enable a move nearer the marina. So far nothing has happened. Benefits the large marina crowd at the expense of those in pills on the river avon, and bespoke clubhouse not suitable for housing or industry so not that easy to sell.