Mr and Mrs Jolly Green - Him 6ft4 Her 6ft; boat recommendations £25-35K

Visit site
Asking for a friend :)

They have a smallish sub 30 boat at the moment, but even the cabin doors are too narrow to fit through let alone sleep sensibly

Ideas please for boats up to 34 feet with longer bunks - I suspect a double is out of the question but who knows. Preferably twin keel but realistically that's going to be a struggle as it limits choice to a small handful of builders

He is OK on my Sadler 32 in the quarterberth but hoping for suggestions where they can have some domestic bliss if possible rather than stick him down a tunnel

gracias

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
The aft 'cabin' on a Sadler 34 is more roomy than the quarter berth on a 32, might that suit? Useless for two people no matter what their size but a nice single (except that ours is used to stow two Bromptons, spinnaker, and loads of other gear!)

Visit site
The aft 'cabin' on a Sadler 34 is more roomy than the quarter berth on a 32, might that suit? Useless for two people no matter what their size but a nice single (except that ours is used to stow two Bromptons, spinnaker, and loads of other gear!)
Thanks Vyv - someone on the SOA FB page has replied that it's ok if he sleeps in the quarterberth diagonally. So it's not ideal. I was pushing him to go look at some of the Westerly's 32-34 feet but he's not a fan of the builder (or their headlining issues).

scruff

Visit site
Your friends are the same height as myself & my wife!

We get by quite well on our Moody 34 - both fit into the aft double perfectly well. Should be within budget too.

James_Calvert

Visit site
A friend had a Moody 34. A deceptively fast boat with high topsides for the day.

I think the headroom by the galley was a bit restricted, certainly was in the tunnel going aft.

Ventilation for the refrigeration was poor, leading to battery charging issues.

Also the boom is a bit low over the main hatch which surprised me a couple of times when we weren't sailing.

It was the sort of boat that imbued confidence in it. With a wheel, so not so engaging as a tiller would be in a similar size boat. I helmed it across much of Lyme Bay in a rising SW astern and it was always under control, and just did it.

rwoofer

Visit site
I'm 6'6" and SWMBO is 6' so a problem that we are very familiar with. Personally I found a M34 far too cramped to be comfortable, so went all the way up to a M44 in that marque.

In the smaller sizes I found RM yachts had the most spacious berths that we could find. My little RM880 had an aft cabin and a forecabin that were both very usable and comfortable for us. The secret of the RMs is that they are semi- open plan so they don't have to shrink the berths to enable a so called cabin (because let's be realistic you don't get much privacy even with the door closed on small boats) to be created. Problem is that they might be hard to find now as I think they went into administration recently and owners tend to keep them. Arrival of triplets forced me to sell ours!

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Cant quickly find headroom details but Island Packet models are worth a look.
The 31, 32, 35 and 320 might suit. As Concerto mentions, American boats to tend to have plenty of headroom.
Even an IP 29 is a bit of a Tardis, and their build quality means they last well.
A visit to their dedicated forum, the iphomeport might be worth a punt.