Moving to the Caribbean

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
I'd guess the statistical risk of hurricane carnage is priced in, either via insurance or as a direct cost of doing business.
I've always wondered, never having been around for hurricane season. Bajansailor and Zing have answered that. Some of the marinas are so packed now.

But I can cope!

Also have explored a bit further into the Carib sea. Something I would like to do more, but probably won't.

Venezuela was fab, but dangerous now.

Friends keep their boat in Shelter Bay, Panama, as a base but spend their time there cruising Boca de Torro and love it.

That's just two examples of places that aren't so visited as the Windies.

Zing

Visit site
I'd guess the statistical risk of hurricane carnage is priced in, either via insurance or as a direct cost of doing business.
My insurance cost doubled in the last two years, largely as a result of hurricane risks I am told, so much of the risk does seem to be priced in.

RupertW

Visit site
And as their business model is to have “owners” instead of owning the boats themselves they spread the risk wonderfully from their point of view.

balder

Visit site
"Bonjour Monsieur" Sea Devil! Thank you so much for posting this video! Let me tell you, your french accent is perfect, I would like to say same about my english grammar...
What you show and explain in this vid provides some interesting answers and what you ask to yourself ( is it the right plan?) is exactly what I say to myself in my sixties... I have been in the Caribbean and in Le Marin during two years aboard my beloved ketch Fisher 37 ( built my Northshore, so sad it disappeared..) . It was in 1990-91 and during summer I sailed to Venezuela ( Puerto de la Cruz) to avoid hurricanes and find another atmosphere more "latino" of course. At this time, I enjoyed bars in Le Marin as well in Antigua or St Barth. But I was 32 years old! Now, doctors says, Dominique, slow down with the Ti punch or Gin, avoid acras de morue too spicy!
As well, in our french indies, there were less boats , and less charter boats. Also, less problems with racism whatever which side black or white, is coming this political cancer. To be clear, we were not obliged to apologize every five minutes because we were here in the 17th and 18th century, if you know what I mean...
And, last but not least, there was no covid...
I am currently berthed in the sunny Canarias Islands and of course I miss the Caribbean. Should I be with you drinking a cocktail in Le Marin in the Beachbar, I would complain because I miss the Canary Islands, with no mosquitoes, no violence, no hurricane, less thefts, and easy return at home in Normandie...
So, finally, may I ask you why you do not give the answer: stay or leave....? I need some assistance! As a Norman ( old vieille France...), monday I say yes, tuesday, no: ptet ben que oui, ptet ben que non...

Finally, I am preparing my trawler to cross Atlantic but I am not sure to do it.

In June, when permission to be back aboard in Lanzarote was given by Spanish authorities, I was so upset with all these difficulties, I decided to sail back to Portugal or french Riviera. Non considering the berth fees and issues to find one for my 60' boat, I was thinking to winter...Winter in Med is not very funny. Of course, you can rent a yacht in Le Marin in december or in FL Florida. But this is very expansive and most of times, boats are not fantastic.

Joseph de Maistre, a famous writer wrote a book with this title: "Voyage autour de ma chambre"...
Isn'nt it time to write a modern version: "Voyage autour de mon cockpit", whatever the yacht is located...
With of course, a suspensive criteria ( well known by YBW users): no rain , I mean cold rain...

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
"Bonjour Monsieur" Sea Devil! Thank you so much for posting this video! Let me tell you, your french accent is perfect, I would like to say same about my english grammar...
What you show and explain in this vid provides some interesting answers and what you ask to yourself ( is it the right plan?) is exactly what I say to myself in my sixties... I have been in the Caribbean and in Le Marin during two years aboard my beloved ketch Fisher 37 ( built my Northshore, so sad it disappeared..) . It was in 1990-91 and during summer I sailed to Venezuela ( Puerto de la Cruz) to avoid hurricanes and find another atmosphere more "latino" of course. At this time, I enjoyed bars in Le Marin as well in Antigua or St Barth. But I was 32 years old! Now, doctors says, Dominique, slow down with the Ti punch or Gin, avoid acras de morue too spicy!
As well, in our french indies, there were less boats , and less charter boats. Also, less problems with racism whatever which side black or white, is coming this political cancer. To be clear, we were not obliged to apologize every five minutes because we were here in the 17th and 18th century, if you know what I mean...
And, last but not least, there was no covid...
I am currently berthed in the sunny Canarias Islands and of course I miss the Caribbean. Should I be with you drinking a cocktail in Le Marin in the Beachbar, I would complain because I miss the Canary Islands, with no mosquitoes, no violence, no hurricane, less thefts, and easy return at home in Normandie...
So, finally, may I ask you why you do not give the answer: stay or leave....? I need some assistance! As a Norman ( old vieille France...), monday I say yes, tuesday, no: ptet ben que oui, ptet ben que non...

Finally, I am preparing my trawler to cross Atlantic but I am not sure to do it.

In June, when permission to be back aboard in Lanzarote was given by Spanish authorities, I was so upset with all these difficulties, I decided to sail back to Portugal or french Riviera. Non considering the berth fees and issues to find one for my 60' boat, I was thinking to winter...Winter in Med is not very funny. Of course, you can rent a yacht in Le Marin in december or in FL Florida. But this is very expansive and most of times, boats are not fantastic.

Joseph de Maistre, a famous writer wrote a book with this title: "Voyage autour de ma chambre"...
Isn'nt it time to write a modern version: "Voyage autour de mon cockpit", whatever the yacht is located...
With of course, a suspensive criteria ( well known by YBW users): no rain , I mean cold rain...
Bonjour Mr Balder,

We are so lucky to have these problems/options - and to have been in the Caribbean a while ago. The Canaries are lovely as well - great climate and no hurricanes although even La Rochelle where I lived for many years has it's moments La Rochelle Storm Damage I got away with a bent pulpit and considered myself very lucky!

My Caribbean venture is to do with Brexit. And I am disappointed with the weather in La Manche area - I learned to sail there but was a lot younger and not so aware of the cold...

Let me assure you your English Grammar is way better than my French and I quite envy you the Canaries which my Carte de Sejour would only entitle me to 90/180
Fair winds
Michael

balder

Visit site
Hello Mr Sea Devil,

I thought it was more easy for a Brit to cruise the Caribbean and plotter from island to island doing of course clearances when required ( not considering covid tests and quarantine) than stay in Med or other "european" waters where VAT proof or visas may be asked by Customs, local authorities and so on.
But I forgot your very special rule 90/180 in UK now! Which consequences if you stay more time outside???
To be honest, it is very difficult for us ( french or other european "citizens" to understand which logic is behind this contraint to British people so prone to travel around the world and create local communauties of expats or temporary expats!

Considering the Caribbean location for us, yachties, what should happen in Martinique and other french indies , (to be applied to french flag yachts as well), is "octroi de mer" another bloody tax to be paid. Last but not least, a french boat owner staying too many months in Martinique may be obliged to pay again the VAT when back in metropole ( mainland France). It happened few times.
But all this is nothing compared to what is waiting for us when we will have to pay the covid bill in september or 2022!!!?

nota bene: La Manche, the Channel, Jersey, Guernesey, et toutes les anglos, my paradise .... but as you perfectly mentionned, "the weather"...

geem

Visit site
Not having been there but sunshine and Sailing would loose its attraction quite soon,unless it was only a stop on the way to other places
25 countries in Windward/Leeward islands plus Cuba, Jamaica, Panama, Colombia, to name but a few in the Western Caribbean. I am sure you could find something to do?

TiggerToo

Visit site
To be honest, it is very difficult for us ( french or other european "citizens" to understand which logic is behind this contraint to British people

There is no logic. It is just une maladie, une idiotie.... une... It is worse than covid, because it is self inflicted. And those who pushed it are still at the helm. Some still lurk around these pages.

but to continue with this, will get me banned from the Forum.

nortada

Visit site
There is no logic. It is just une maladie, une idiotie.... une... It is worse than covid, because it is self inflicted. And those who pushed it are still at the helm. Some still lurk around these pagesbut to continue with this, will get me banned from the Forum.
Surely not in Liveaboard Link, where we are all in it together.

Trying to get our heads around it and make the best of the situation we find ourselves in.✅

Ric

Visit site
Me too - what I don’t like about most of the Caribbean is the over-reaching influence of US “culture” - guns, violence, bible, drugs and disgusting food and beer. I never sleep really easy at anchor in most of the English speaking caribbean.

The French islands are still decent though.

geem

Visit site
Me too - what I don’t like about most of the Caribbean is the over-reaching influence of US “culture” - guns, violence, bible, drugs and disgusting food and beer. I never sleep really easy at anchor in most of the English speaking caribbean.

The French islands are still decent though.
So which bits do you consider the US has influenced in a bad way? I really don't see that in the numerous islands we visit. Ironically we take more precautions against theft in the French Islands. From my experience most theft occurs when French are about.

Ric

Visit site
Anywhere north of USVI (including BVI) I definitely don’t like sleeping at anchor single-handed.

Going south towards the French islands I feel more secure because of Gendarmerie presence.

Further south still I don’t like either.

It is not black & white everywhere - there are shades of grey in between - but that is generally my gut feeling based on how much general hasslle get from boat boys at anchorages, how safe I feel leaving my boat to go ashore, and indeed how safe I feel ashore, and enjoyment of food and drink when ashore. I much prefer the general feel of the French speaking islands- more akin to Europe than US I guess. Others may differ…

geem

Visit site
Anywhere north of USVI (including BVI) I definitely don’t like sleeping at anchor single-handed.

Going south towards the French islands I feel more secure because of Gendarmerie presence.

Further south still I don’t like either.

It is not black & white everywhere - there are shades of grey in between - but that is generally my gut feeling based on how much general hasslle get from boat boys at anchorages, how safe I feel leaving my boat to go ashore, and indeed how safe I feel ashore, and enjoyment of food and drink when ashore. I much prefer the general feel of the French speaking islands- more akin to Europe than US I guess. Others may differ…
I think you have very limited experience of the Caribbean. The French Islands are nothing like the rest of the Caribbean. In my mind you may as well just go to France. They are wealthy by comparison to the rest of the islands.
You don't name a single island where you get hassled by boat boys. You don't say where the so called US has the influence you so dislike. Be specific for the benefit of those reading your post.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
That pic of wrecked charter yachts looks like a rich source of second hand winches. plotters, cookers, pumps and engines etc.

Lovely neat lines of boars in the ore-hurricane pics but what possessed them to leave all the mainsails and covers etc on to make extra windage.

apologies: I don’t mean to drift the thread.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
That pic of wrecked charter yachts looks like a rich source of second hand winches. plotters, cookers, pumps and engines etc.

Lovely neat lines of boars in the ore-hurricane pics but what possessed them to leave all the mainsails and covers etc on to make extra windage.

apologies: I don’t mean to drift the thread.

Interesting, I expect idle charter skippers and workforce. An expensive error!

Bajansailor

Visit site
Lovely neat lines of boats in the pre-hurricane pics but what possessed them to leave all the mainsails and covers etc on to make extra windage.
These are all 'bareboats' (ie they do not have crew) - the charter companies simply would not have had the manpower resources to try to strip down all the boats.
I think also that everybody underestimated how ferocious this hurricane would be - she was a Cat 5, and would have been a Cat 6 if there was such a definition, as the winds were phenomenal - I seem to remember seeing reports mentioning winds gusting to 200 mph.
That is just mind boggling.