Moving marina

Contest1

Visit site
I,v been enjoying living aboard part time herr in Marina de las Dunas, Guardamar del Segura, Alicante, for 5 years now. Love the place and the many great places a few days sailing can reach.
Unfortunately the harbour enterance is now impassable even for my Contest 29s 1.35mt draft. Its been an ongoing problem for a couple of years now and some boats haven't been out in 2 years.
No sign of the promiced dredging that was to begin in January and according to local info the costs have trebled from the original estimate of €300,000 that was approved by the council to ovef €1,000,000. On of the big delays is the disposal of the mud from the river mouth as its has to be buried in land fill due to pollution concerns.
Anyway its not goin to get sorted anytime soon so I think my only sensible course of action is to move.
I love the Spanish Med and am looking for a new. Marina. Marina de las Dunas was a great place and I hope to find somewere even better. One of the great things about my present bert is it's about 5km outside the town center so quiet except for boaters and others who enjoy the nature park that surrounds the harbor.
Any help in finding my next location welcome.

nortada

Visit site
I,v been enjoying living aboard part time herr in Marina de las Dunas, Guardamar del Segura, Alicante, for 5 years now. Love the place and the many great places a few days sailing can reach.
Unfortunately the harbour enterance is now impassable even for my Contest 29s 1.35mt draft. Its been an ongoing problem for a couple of years now and some boats haven't been out in 2 years.
No sign of the promiced dredging that was to begin in January and according to local info the costs have trebled from the original estimate of €300,000 that was approved by the council to ovef €1,000,000. On of the big delays is the disposal of the mud from the river mouth as its has to be buried in land fill due to pollution concerns.
Anyway its not goin to get sorted anytime soon so I think my only sensible course of action is to move.
I love the Spanish Med and am looking for a new. Marina. Marina de las Dunas was a great place and I hope to find somewere even better. One of the great things about my present bert is it's about 5km outside the town center so quiet except for boaters and others who enjoy the nature park that surrounds the harbor.
Any help in finding my next location welcome.

Yes, I appreciate it is from an Irishman so clearly somebody who has no fears about what Brexit and the end of the Transition Period may bring.?

A breath of fresh air, in all of this gloom and doom.?

RupertW

Visit site
Yes, I appreciate it is from an Irishman so clearly somebody who has no fears about what Brexit and the end of the Transition Period may bring.?

A breath of fresh air, in all of this gloom and doom.?
We have only a bit of experience of Spanish Med as we harbour hopped towards Gib in the Summer, but Marine del Este was a little out of the way from towns and a gorgeous setting, Estepona was in the middle of everything but had a great old town nearby but the stand out marina (which we left the boat in for a few weeks) was Cartagena - which is also just a night sail from Ibiza.

Star-Lord

Visit site
I never went to Mar Menor (a large lagoon) but I believe if you like peace and quiet and nature this could be the spot for you. The sail maker at Cartagena keeps his yacht there for free, apparently on a home made mooring. It is a big lagoon just past Cartagena, an excellent marina with some finger berths, but it is right in the thick of things with big cruise ships coming in and everything. I believe Mar Menor has a free 'unfinished' marina for short stays and one or maybe two regular marinas.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

Visit site
A couple of screenshots from Navilly anchoring app showing Mar Menor.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200217-134621_Navily.jpg
    Screenshot_20200217-134621_Navily.jpg
    540.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20200217-134546_Navily.jpg
    Screenshot_20200217-134546_Navily.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 15

Star-Lord

Visit site
I would not swim anywhere as enslosed as Mar Menor. I would be more concerned with the pollution. Spain is quite relaxed in some areas. There are many anchorages outside for swimming.

Contest1

Visit site
We have only a bit of experience of Spanish Med as we harbour hopped towards Gib in the Summer, but Marine del Este was a little out of the way from towns and a gorgeous setting, Estepona was in the middle of everything but had a great old town nearby but the stand out marina (which we left the boat in for a few weeks) was Cartagena - which is also just a night sail from Ibiza.
Thanks, Marina de Este looks like a great spot, I'll look into it.
Been in the Mar Minor many times. Not sure it's somewere I would put my boat permenently but there's a few nice marinas on the open sea side.