Mouzel 22, salt, Sea and Sail

fisherman

Visit site

fisherman

Visit site
me and my nearest competition, he has a huge sail, but loose footed and the sheet is not far enough aft. Maybe if he fits a bumpkin, outrigger over the stern he will be in better shape. We had our own private race, but he was DNF due to the above and more bailing than sailing.

Guide Me again

fisherman

Visit site
What I found was an atmosphere of friendliness and mutual respect, even for my little punt. Brought a lump to the throat, seeing all those purposeful ex fishing boats in one small place. Some folk came from the Deben to be there.
They had the bar well organised, one man pulling pints and handing them through the window, one person doing cash sales, the other cards. There was food and entertainment 12-12, very well organised throughout...
...except the racing, which was at best informal "Pierhead, I think he went the wrong side of a mark, over"
"Well you can raise a protest......I suppose......if you really want to......over"
I never found it if I was second or had crossed the start a bit previous. I was in the under 23fts, so at 15ft not much chance.

When I contacted Fal Working Boats about the 1898 Ferris working boat I had acquired I got a quite snooty and dismissive reply, 'oh that's not a working boat, that's a mackerel tosher'....right ho....bye.

DownWest

Visit site
"I never found it if I was second or had crossed the start a bit previous. I was in the under 23fts, so at 15ft not much chance.
Bit like me at the SdG, lots of bustle at the start of the informal race and me solo in my new boat, so buzzed off a bit early to avoid a likely collision. At the end of the course two boats came past going at it. Shout from mark boat as to my number. Told them, thinking checking off the fleet.
Later that evening, someone congratulated me on coming third..... I owned up.

Blueboatman

Visit site
What I found was an atmosphere of friendliness and mutual respect, even for my little punt. Brought a lump to the throat, seeing all those purposeful ex fishing boats in one small place. Some folk came from the Deben to be there.
They had the bar well organised, one man pulling pints and handing them through the window, one person doing cash sales, the other cards. There was food and entertainment 12-12, very well organised throughout...
...except the racing, which was at best informal "Pierhead, I think he went the wrong side of a mark, over"
"Well you can raise a protest......I suppose......if you really want to......over"
I never found it if I was second or had crossed the start a bit previous. I was in the under 23fts, so at 15ft not much chance.

When I contacted Fal Working Boats about the 1898 Ferris working boat I had acquired I got a quite snooty and dismissive reply, 'oh that's not a working boat, that's a mackerel tosher'....right ho....bye.
The Ferris is unique then , lucky you !
Lead from the front.
A well organised bar is .. a thing of beauty ?

fisherman

Visit site
I was in front on the downwind leg to Penlee pt, but round the N mark those blighters with drop keels and stuff shot off leaving me standing, and last. So I toodled along inshore while they put in a long eastward leg to get a slant on the S mark, wind SW, fresh and raining. Then I thought 'every time there's a squall here when it stops the wind veers a couple of points and it did: suddenly I have a broad reach and they have it on the nose, I was first at the S mark, they still overtook me but there was a moment of smugness.