Morning hangover

zoidberg

Visit site
I understand this is the recent scene at Agia Efimia.....

50355436126_03d47612f5_c.jpg

...and am wondering what, if anything, is to be gleaned from these misfortunates.

Neeves

Visit site
The cost of insurance for everyone will increase to pay for the losses.

The idea that the insurance companies will get together and devine common causes on which we might act - a dream. For example when you have you ever heard of an insurance company taking any more than superficial interest in ground tackle.

Jonathan

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
I take it that was the one on Kefalonia (spelling varies so much!). We were based there on flotilla a few years ago...
Yes, that’s the one. What you don’t see in that photo is behind the photographer there are several yachts sunk by the quayside, masts showing above the surface. Zakinthos is also badly hit:
6D1D81FA-5A67-4D70-A385-FB7A37DF3E9C.jpeg
Sunk yacht on the quay at Nidri:
9E642BCB-3E15-47F7-BB5B-AA2022A420A4.jpeg

And so on. Its in danger of becoming a September fixture, a strong semi tropical storm kicks off the coast of Tunisia, tracks north and hits the southern Ionian.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
September has always been a stormy month in Greece. I remember the storms in Greece this time of the year since i was a child; quicky come and go. Nowadays, the storms are tracked and early warnings are given; still, are equally as destructive and powerful. As we speak, the rain is coming down in Attika with plenty of wind.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
When I see these Greek photos almost every year, it makes me think that we are actually better off in Croatia which, although subject to the bora/bura more frequently than the Greek events, at least have a wind that doesn't kick up the waves.

Richard

Stemar

Visit site
What is to be gleaned, ISTM, is that Mother Nature, when she has a hissy fit, is stronger than we are. Greece now, La Rochelle, a few years ago, the UK South Coast a generation ago. Not to mention regular hurricanes in the Caribbean.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
September has always been a stormy month in Greece. I remember the storms in Greece this time of the year since i was a child; quicky come and go. Nowadays, the storms are tracked and early warnings are given; still, are equally as destructive and powerful. As we speak, the rain is coming down in Attika with plenty of wind.
And of course September just improves the probability. We had a day-long storm in Skopelos (of course the Sporades does not have the nursery-slope reputation of the Ionian!) in July. The flotilla was not allowed out, so the shredded sail was not ours! Even in harbour we were well-frosted with salt spray driving over the harbour wall and immediately drying! Just no Tequila...

IMG_0163(Paint).jpg

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
...or dont be in a bay that's open to likely onshore winds in the 40+ knot range. I have some friends who ran north and anchored near Vonitsa,..

Precisely that, Ay Eufemia's probably as bad a spot as you could choose in that forecast, it really doesn't take much to make things uncomfortable there at the best of times. Vonitsa sounds sensible if you're at the north end of the Ionian, from Kefalonia/Zakinthos I'd have headed for Petalis on the mainland; it's the seas that you need to be hiding from, not the wind.

Resolution

Visit site
What is to be gleaned, ISTM, is that Mother Nature, when she has a hissy fit, is stronger than we are. Greece now, La Rochelle, a few years ago, the UK South Coast a generation ago. Not to mention regular hurricanes in the Caribbean.
Hey! Don't forget typhoons in the Pacific! Every sailor in Hong Kong knows the importance of a space in a typhoon shelter in July / August.

Skellum

Visit site
Hey! Don't forget typhoons in the Pacific! Every sailor in Hong Kong knows the importance of a space in a typhoon shelter in July / August.
My wife’s beach cat ended up in a tree Several years ago, and then suffered a broken mast when one landed on it in the last big typhoon we had in HK 2 years ago. So far this year we’ve been lucky in that regard.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
...or dont be in a bay that's open to likely onshore winds in the 40+ knot range. I have some friends who ran north and anchored near Vonitsa, they had a wet but not very windy night
Even Vonitsa can be entertaining... We were on the quay when we got an northerly set in, so we bugged out to Goat Bay only for the wind to swing round to easterly so we bugged out again and anchored in the lee of Chapel Island and sat out the next 36 hours of f8+. Folks who stayed on the quay got into all sorts of trouble and most eventually joined us at anchor. Oh, and the forecasts all showed next to no wind and that from the west....