More encounters with Orcas...

graham

Visit site
I read a book years ago about a couple in the Pacific in wooden yacht who were sunk by Orcas.

It happened in the 60s or 70s from memory .They spent months in a liferaft being bumped by sharks and survived on fish and turtles .

Eventually they were rescued by a coastguard vessel (purely by luck)from one of the South American countries.

rjandhl

Visit site
I read a book years ago about a couple in the Pacific in wooden yacht who were sunk by Orcas.

It happened in the 60s or 70s from memory .They spent months in a liferaft being bumped by sharks and survived on fish and turtles .

Eventually they were rescued by a coastguard vessel (purely by luck)from one of the South American countries.
I think that the book you are referring to is "Survive the Savage Seas" by Dougal Robertson.

graham

Visit site
I think that the book you are referring to is "Survive the Savage Seas" by Dougal Robertson.
I just googled on Robertson sinking,it's in the same part of the pacific similar time but he had his family including children in the raft.

The one I read was an American with a French wife and no children on the boat.In the book it revealed that before agreeing to accompany him on the voyage his wife insisted he buy a new liferaft against his wishes !

PS just googled ,it was Adrift for 66 days by Wiliam Butler

Last edited:

Metabarca

Visit site
So we need to cull them fast. 18 months in and nobody will take the decision.
That attitude perfectly exemplifies why we are in such s*t with regard to our stewardship of the planet. 'Need' forsooth! We 'need' to protect the ecosystem; we do not 'need ' to make it very marginally safer for a few leisure boaters to tootle down south by kilingl a pod of whales.

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
How about a maritime version of the mosquito teenager repellent? Perhaps blasting out Julio Iglesias at great volume through underwater speakers might do the trick... You'd want a pretty good orca detector system though because you wouldn't want to have to listen to that all of the time! ?

RupertW

Visit site
That attitude perfectly exemplifies why we are in such s*t with regard to our stewardship of the planet. 'Need' forsooth! We 'need' to protect the ecosystem; we do not 'need ' to make it very marginally safer for a few leisure boaters to tootle down south by kilingl a pod of whales.
The ecosystem will not be affected one bit by the culling of one pod whose rogue behaviour is causing.damage and risk.

Again - if you have a better solution let’s hear it.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
How about a maritime version of the mosquito teenager repellent? Perhaps blasting out Julio Iglesias at great volume through underwater speakers might do the trick... You'd want a pretty good orca detector system though because you wouldn't want to have to listen to that all of the time! ?
Miles Davis scared off dolphins when I put him on a few years ago. This would be my first action if I encounter Orca.

Visit site
The ecosystem will not be affected one bit by the culling of one pod whose rogue behaviour is causing.damage and risk.

Again - if you have a better solution let’s hear it.
I can hardly think of a worse idea. It is just not practical regardless of any other considerations. I have had some experience of rifle shooting but only from a stable position on land and the idea of using a rifle on the deck of a yacht appals me. The chances of a kill with one shot are slim and I do not whish to consider the consequences of having a really hostile pod of large, intelligent dolphins roaming the oceans.

RupertW

Visit site
I can hardly think of a worse idea. It is just not practical regardless of any other considerations. I have had some experience of rifle shooting but only from a stable position on land and the idea of using a rifle on the deck of a yacht appals me. The chances of a kill with one shot are slim and I do not whish to consider the consequences of having a really hostile pod of large, intelligent dolphins roaming the oceans.
It doesn’t have to be a rifle - I’m sure there are more effective solutions.

graham

Visit site
As there have been documented incidence of orcas attacking boats In different oceans in different decades its clearly not just one rogue pod of orcas .

Maybe steel clad rudders would help discourage them.

newtothis

Visit site
Now do tigers in a primary school.

RupertW

Visit site
As there have been documented incidence of orcas attacking boats In different oceans in different decades its clearly not just one rogue pod of orcas .
Except it is - there are no documented other examples of continuous attacks over many months in the same area. You may be able to correct me on this.