Moorings at Tescos Reading

byron

RIP
Visit site
It's rather complicated Tony. My understanding is that the land is owned by Reading Borough Council, the moorings were paid for by Tescos and the policing should have been done by EA. However when the Narrowboats proliferated and took them over as semi permenant moorings everyone blamed everyone else and disclaimed responsibility for keeping them free for boaters who wanted to go shopping.
It may soon be all academic soon anyway as Tescos have sold the area for development and are moving to another site.

nickcred

Visit site
Glad I am just changing to a diesel engine - guessing if the store goes so does the petrol station which was nice and easy to stop at and get beer at the same time /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Blimey, Byron, how do you pick up these gems of information? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well, that will be another useful amenity lost then, but the way these things move may at least take a while yet.

It was the policing aspect I was trying to clarify...last time I was there there were 13 narrowboats, some with chairs and tables bankside! Just some large notices on the railings saying 'limited stay for supermarket only' might help!

byron

RIP
Visit site
I saw a narrowboat BLOG somewhere where the dude writing it reccomends Tescos as "an excellent overnight mooring" . Three years back there was a Narrowboat there so long it was his registered abode and his two kids were going to the local school.
Problem is there are too few EA Patrols these days and never any at night.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
From the H&H NArrowboat Hotels Website on where to go to the cinema:
[ QUOTE ]
Reading: Moor on the K and A or on the Tesco River Thames moorings.
There are four cinemas within the town. The ABC- 3 screen, the Odeon, The Reading Film Theatre an art house one screen, and the UCI multiplex in the huge shopping complex.

[/ QUOTE ]

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Do a google for 'tescos reading moorings overnight' - you will be able to spend the whole weekend being gobsmacked /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Incidentally, may I say how nice it is to see you on the Forum and distributing your wit and wisdom - just like the old days ! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

byron

RIP
Visit site
Well! Tony! This new Forum is close to my heart especially as I am a Riparian Owner and 12 months a year I see everything happening from the inadequacies to the positives. Those I don't see are told to me by clubs visiting me from Ramsgate to Osney. I'm now hoping that this Forum will be the voice of the Thames with bundles of input from other river users including the Severn, Ouse and elsewhere. After all what happens here affects them too.

the_wanderer

Visit site
Yep. It is a problem. I have even had to moor my tupperware 14ft boat to the trees as the whole landing stage was bunged up with sardine cans.

It is very unusual if I can't get my tiddler onto a mooring, I can usually shove it in between the other boats. Tesco's Reading is another matter.

Sad to hear they are moving on, it was a handy stop for supplies. However, petrol can be obtained, albeit at a higher price at the garage behind the "Three Men in a Boat" pub. The walk is a bit shorter too.

Regards.

Alan.

Chris_d

Visit site
Don't forget you can also go up the Kennet and Avon as far as the town on your Thames license, the pub at Blakes Lock museam (forget the name, Dragon and something?), its excellent and has new pontoons. There is also several places to moor to walk into the main town.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Yes! but NEVER leave your boat unattended on the moorings, the pubs ones are safe but the bankside ones can be iffy especially during school holidays and weekends.

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
However, petrol can be obtained, albeit at a higher price at the garage behind the "Three Men in a Boat" pub. The walk is a bit shorter too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Going up under Caversham Bridge and then moor up on the right on the bank owned by "The Griffin" pub - you will see the car park. Have a beer and then a very short walk to Tesco's fast food shop/fuel in Caversham /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif (which I think is the garage being referred to as behind "Three men in a boat")

Alternative is to moor up on the island/bar/restaurant just below Cav bridge and pop to the garage.