Moonfleet Sailing - Cruise from Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandy

Visit site
Well it's been a long time since anyone posted anything on this thread so here goes.... I've sailed with Noel on three RYA courses with him plus a shorebased DSC VHF course when they were in Uckfield. He's ex-Army and knows how to communicate clearly and succinctly but to some people that might come over as rather brusque. Everybody is a bit different. I learned a lot from him and have gone on to bigger yachts and further afield.
People getting the hump and jumping ship can happen and indeed did on one of my trips with Moonfleet. I think we were all relieved they had gone although of course Noel and Christine felt rightly aggrieved. As for the food, it's not the Ritz or your Mums house but it's not bad and there was always plenty of it. Cooking in a small galley with hardly any worktop space is always a challenge. Noel made sure you could handle the basics and that includes MOB drills, a bit of cooking at sea and cleaning up at the end, he's training you to sail your own boat someday not go on a Cunard cruise. I tried to contact them recently to arrange some more refreshers but the website has gone along and the Facebook page hasn't been updated for some time. Perhaps they have taken retirement and swallowed the anchor..... Anyway, best wishes to them both and thanks, money well spent.
Good lord this is a 13 year old thread, perhaps you wanted a prize for the oldest "phoenix" thread of the decade, with the original posters having tiny posting numbers. In 13 years I have put a child through school, buried one parent, retired, visited several countries. Looks like Moonfleet are still sailing so the must have survived the intervening 13 years. I shall certainly wave to them if I pass them off Dorset,

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Good lord this is a 13 year old thread, perhaps you wanted a prize for the oldest "phoenix" thread of the decade, with the original posters having tiny posting numbers. In 13 years I have put a child through school, buried one parent, retired, visited several countries. Looks like Moonfleet are still sailing so the must have survived the intervening 13 years. I shall certainly wave to them if I pass them off Dorset,

No, he retired a couple of years back.

Tranona

Visit site
Very different outfit from the sailing school based in Cobbs Quay..
Moonfleet is very Dorset, perhaps best known from the 1898 novel of the same name by J Meade Falkner centred on Portland and about smuggling in the 18th Century. There are many businesses using the name, mostly in the Weymouth/Portland end of the county.

laika

Visit site
No, he retired a couple of years back.

Then there’s no harm in me perpetuating this thread by asking a question. raymondmalik probably thinks he’s putting in a good word for moonfleet.

Question for the forum: If you were in the market for a sailing course and moonfleet were still a going concern would this resurrected thread make you more or less likely to use them?

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Then there’s no harm in me perpetuating this thread by asking a question. raymondmalik probably thinks he’s putting in a good word for moonfleet.

Question for the forum: If you were in the market for a sailing course and moonfleet were still a going concern would this resurrected thread make you more or less likely to use them?
The fact that he had to go back 13 years to find the latest mention is probably not a good thing.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.