Moody 33s Electrics / Battery Confusion

Visit site
You might find it helpful to get a Dymo tape labeller or similar so that as you identify each wire you can label it - then you won't have to identify it again next week....

cpedw

Visit site
You might find it helpful to get a Dymo tape labeller or similar so that as you identify each wire you can label it - then you won't have to identify it again next week....
The cheapskate's alternative is white insulating tape and a biro. Write on the tape before removing it from the roll.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Or get a Brother tape machine that uses UV Resistant tape - TZ from memory but check. Useful for all labelling on the boat as UV resistant on deck they are still very legible after 12 yrs. Originally bought for garden labels but used more often on the boat!

James_Calvert

Visit site
I think people are over thinking this.

In the absence of anyone actually recognising the set up, all that is needed is a systematic approach to finding out what does what.

This is what I would do.

Unplug any mains voltage supply.

Turn everything off except one light.

Then turn all four master switches to off. I would expect the light to go out.

Then try turning the 1 - 2 - Both switch onto 1. Does the light come on again?
Then onto 2. Does the light come on again?

If not, turn this switch to Off and try turning the Domestic switch on.

Does the light come on again?

If not, leave the Domestic switch on and try the 1-2-Both switch again, first to 1 and then to 2.

I'm guessing, but I suspect the light will come on in either positions.

If so, there is probably a bank of at least 2 batteries available for domestic use, split two ways and in parallel, selection via the 1-2-Both switch.

If it doesn't, try again with the master switch on, keeping any main supply unplugged.

Turn everything off again.

Now for the engine. Turn the key into a position where a warning light, maybe low oil pressure or the alternator not charging, should come on.

Try the 1-2-Both switch on its own. Any engine lights?

If not, turn that one off and try the Engine switch on its own. If that works, maybe there's a third battery, dedicated to engine starting, separate from a domestics battery bank. If not, try the 1-2-Both switch again, with the engine switch on. If that now works, the batteries for the domestics are also the ones available for the engine, and there's no third battery.

Now go through the process again with essential communication and navigation equipment and the autohelm. It is possible that everything is powered through the domestic circuits, but some items may be powered directly off one of the batteries.

That should all identify how the 12v systems all work.

Now turn everything off again and reconnect the mains power. Check any mains outlets for power. Maybe the master switch needs turning on?

Now a volt meter is needed. One in the switch panel, or in an instrument menu, would be easiest, otherwise a multimeter on a domestic battery will be needed. The aim is to discover what combination of switches should be on for the mains to charge the batteries and power the domestic circuits. When it is all connected, the voltage should be higher than when it's not.

It may be as simple as charging is always on when the master switch is on, or the individual domestic and engine switches also need to be on, or the 1-2-Both switch also needs to be on to direct the charging and supply to one circuit or another or both. But I'm out of my depth at this point.

Also it's dark now and I would expect the original poster has worked much of this out by now...