Moody 31 bilge keel Atlantic Circuit

Pete7

Visit site
"the boat must be, after all, fully autonomous and in every sense for the duration. This will include a full set of tools and spares for all the main systems.

"there is a significant difference between coastal holiday cruising and what amounts to some form of full time living aboard in complete autonomy. It should be noted that the OP's plan is for a full circuit, i.e. that, if things don't work out, he won't be flying home with a bag of hand luggage from Martinique. In this context, the weight estimate designers use for full time liveaboard, as in a floating home, is 450kg/per person for personal effects".

Oh, I had assumed the 450kgs was for both crew not each. I take your point about not being holiday coastal sailing, but in a smaller yacht you don't have the luxury to carry "spares for all the main systems", certainly not nearly one tonnes worth.

Yes to a spare genoa and main, but trysail? perhaps not. Alternator or starter? I might have them rebuilt before departing and go. Could you have them repaired in the Cape Verdes or Azores? probably, but if not then there is DHL. After all this is an Atlantic circuit, not a permanent home, there is a difference. So things like a small second hand water maker will be expensive, but not much use once home, so could be sold on to recoup some of the cost.

Great care must be taken not to confuse waterline plane loading (pounds per inch immersion) with actual load carrying capacity. The real factors that determine load carrying ability are displacement, freeboard and robustness of construction, including and especially the rig.

Ok, how do you calculate that?

I still think insurance is going to be the stumbling block given the huge losses in the Carib and US in recent years.

Pete

Laminar Flow

Visit site
Sorry, perhaps I didn't express myself well enough.

To be clear, it is 400kg for two people, i.e. 180-200kg per person, for what can be considered living aboard (4-6 months+).
The 450kg is for living aboard as a permanent home and per person.

As to what makes an offshore cruiser in terms of suitability is a question of design and construction.

It should be noted, that an increase in displacement of up to 20% over dead weight is considered normal.

As to spares, you obviously will not be carrying a spare mast or engine. But you definitely should be carrying sail repair supplies, perhaps a length of rigging wire and a set of bull dogs clips, extra line for halyards and sheets, spare blocks and shackles, engine spares, i.e. impeller, fan belt etc., epoxy and glass fibre, 3 anchors and rode, etc, etc ...
Inevitably, the weights adds up.

In regards to insurance, it is a 30 year old boat. Your concern should be third party only, in case you sink or burn in a marina along the way. As for the rest: rely on your skills and be prepared to walk away with your life and an experience.

Laminar Flow

Visit site
I'm glad I didn't know all these reasons why it can't be done before I did the circuit on my Moody 33. Twice. ??
The Moody 33 is a fine boat. She is also 20% larger than a 31.

Size increases by the cube. Another quick example: A 31.5 Watson displaces (nominally) 8.17t, the (only) 3' longer 34.5 weighs in at 12t or 50% more even though the boat is, no more or less, a linear expansion of her smaller sister.

Nowhere did I suggest to the OP that it cannot be done and I'm all in favour, within reason, of going with what you got, just some things to think about and to be aware of.
If some ascetic thinks he can make the passage in 7 days and on 500g of food and 2litres of water a day, he is welcome to try - all part of the free country bit. But, none the less, I would question his sense of realism.