monkey island

starman

Visit site
Although being a common or garden former marine engineer, I was always well
up on ship's anatomy, but one question I could never get a sensible answer for
was why the monkey island is so named. Anybody enlighten me ?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rowana

Two steps lower than the ships' cat
Visit site
Like you, I know where it is, but WHY; I have no idea.

I'f you find out, let me know!

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
Only guessing, but since a monkey was a carrier (eg powder monkey) perhaps it refers to the equipment which is normally installed up there, eg compass lights and masts/antennas?

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/content/348.html>Covey Crump</A> gives "monkey" as meaning a small place or article, as in monkey island.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Roy

Visit site
From my own naval training school it was said that the monkey was from olden days i.e. the wee guy (10 - 13 yr old) who passed the ammo, racked up the balls on the brass monkey or the garlands. It came to mean anything small and or quick. The monkey island being small and usually exposed to the elements became the place to send the young cadets or deck boys for doing signals or lookouts.Perhaps it looked a bit like a small atoll with monkeys up trees? Roy

<hr width=100% size=1>What does this mean then?

pampas

Visit site
I have always taken the term to mean the highest point on modern ships usually immediately above the bridge on which the main magnetic compass stands, most that I have sailed on require one, to have the agility of a monkey to visit especially when rolling

<hr width=100% size=1>