ML5 medical examination fees.

l'escargot

Visit site
Just enquired at my GP Surgery about a ML5 medical for a commercial endorsement and been quoted £178.50. Sounds a bit steep to me. Anyone had one done lately who can give me any price comparisons?

andygc

Visit site
Just enquired at my GP Surgery about a ML5 medical for a commercial endorsement and been quoted £178.50. Sounds a bit steep to me. Anyone had one done lately who can give me any price comparisons?
No but..

Highly skilled and trained person spending half an hour with you.
Cost of receptionist.
Cost of nurse doing the urine test.
Cost of providing equipment for checking vision, ears, blood pressure and for measuring height and weight, urine testing etc.
Cost of calibration of equipment.
Cost of providing the premises (rent, taxes, insurance, etc).
Cost of heating and lighting premises.

Sounds like a bargain to me - I'd charge you £250

mikemanor

www.waltontraining.co.uk
ENG1 Medical

That seems very high to me. You may be better off going to an MCA doctor and getting an ENG1 medical. The ENG1 medical lasts for 2 years, but the price is set by the MCA. (I think its about £80 at present). The medical is also valid for cat 1 and 0 sea areas whereas the ML5 is only valid up to 60 miles offshore.

List of doctors here:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/mcga07-ho...a-ml5-medicalinfo/mcga-approved-docs-list.htm

About the fee (£80) can be found here:

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1087149758&type=RESOURCES

Last edited:

Neil_Y

www.h4marine.com
The critical thing is to make sure your GP knows you need it for work. I seem to remember when I had mine done last there was a huge difference in costs between a private medical and a medical that was required for you to undertake your profession. That reminds me I need to get mine sorted.

G12

Visit site
That's very expensive.......... I had an ENG1 done in Aberdeen about 6 months ago and it was just over £100, and things like that are expensive up here due to the oil industry.
I recommend you get the ENG1 instead of the ML5 - It's the medical that everyone asks for if you're looking for work and it's just as valid for commercial endorsement as the ML5 - I know this because it's what I did :)

Simondjuk

Visit site
That's too much. Shop around.

mikemanor, While I see your point, some people may only need an ML5 and not be able to pass an ENG1 due to eyesight requirements or similar, so not have the option.

l'escargot

Visit site
No but..

Highly skilled and trained person spending half an hour with you.
Cost of receptionist.
Cost of nurse doing the urine test.
Cost of providing equipment for checking vision, ears, blood pressure and for measuring height and weight, urine testing etc.
Cost of calibration of equipment.
Cost of providing the premises (rent, taxes, insurance, etc).
Cost of heating and lighting premises.

Sounds like a bargain to me - I'd charge you £250
No nurse, no urine test, all other costs met in the NHS facility he was seeing me in. Basically taking my blood pressure and filling in a tick box form. You wouldn't charge me anything because I would be going to one of the other doctors in the area who will do it for about £70. I think you need to review your business model if you want to stay in business. Not many GPs can get away with charging £350 an hour let alone £500.

mikemanor

www.waltontraining.co.uk
...some people may only need an ML5 and not be able to pass an ENG1 due to eyesight requirements or similar, so not have the option.

True in the past, but with the new ML5 form if there is any tick in any "Yes" box ie something wrong, then the GP can no longer issue the ML5 certificate - it has to go to an MCA Medical Assesor anyway. The new form says:

"If you have any ticks in any of the "Yes" boxes on the inside of this report, or if you have any medical conditions noted in Section 8, or if you have any of the following conditions, your report will require further assessment by an MCA Medical Assessor". There follows a long list including "you do not meet the MCA's requirements for colour vision/visual acuity"

The new ML5 form is at:

https://afrmmcanet.mcga.gov.uk/formspublic/MSF4112.pdf

You will see that if the GP ticks any "Yes" box or makes any comments in Section 8 then he cannot issue the certificate. In which case you might as well go straight to the MCA doc (whose fee is set by the MCA under the Merchant Shipping Act) in the first place.

Last edited: