Mirror dinghy.

Paul HD

Visit site
My Mirror dinghy was built for racing and the guy didn't install rowlocks. So I took the re-inforcement parts from the donor dinghy and installed them. It turned out OK for my first time in trying something like this.
This was my first step in taking the Mirror more towards the cruising style than racing.
Cheers,
Paul.

Paul HD

Visit site
Did you align the screw heads after installing? Hope you have a pair of genuine Mirror paddles and will be painting the blades soon to match the hull.
I didn't.:unsure: Is that a good luck thing or a way of telling if a screw is coming loose at a glance?

I don't think the paddles that I got secondhand are genuine Mirror paddles, I think they are longer than originals.

ashtead

Visit site
Just to streamline them in direction of travel but yes it does show if any are coming lose . The original paddles looked more like poles with plywood trays on the end when compared with standard oars with leather to fit the rowlocks.

Paul HD

Visit site
Looking at the earlier video and pictures on the net it looks like I may have Mirror paddles.
I will make sure I line up the screws. (y)

dunedin

Visit site
Elastic goes over the top to hold the dagger board down when sailing upwind, and round the back to hold the board part or fully up when sailing downwind. Never round the front.
Clearly less of an issue when just using a short infill board for motoring.

Paul HD

Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. (y)
It never occurred to me that it would be used to keep the full length board up.

Cheers,
Paul.

Paul HD

Visit site
Hi All,
I used an old dagger board to make up two decorative covers for the forward storage space.
The laser engraver is a great tool to have.
I'm sure Charles Aznavour was singing about a woman and not a Mirror dinghy that he built in his kitchen in Paris. :) (y)

Alfie168

Visit site
Just to show you all how crazy it has all got with Mirrors. These are the Mirrors built just down the road from here. Don't get me wrong they are beautifully made and dynamically superb.......but £5200 ? for a race ready boat with no extras.

Mirror – Winder boats

Do you ever get the feeling that the whole point of the Mirror when Jack Holt, Barry Bucknell and the Daily Mirror put their heads together has been cast to the wind ?

Paul HD, you are doing a lovely job...but please go and have a race in it. It doesn't really matter where you come, but it does give a point to all that skills honing that makes you a more proficient and better sailor. One of my neighbours could race an upturned dinner table with a handkerchief tied to it, and I just learned so much when I used to occasionally crew for him.....and yes he did win the odd European championship in his youth.

I missed out on the Mirror as I started on a Heron before the Mirror existed, then went to the Enterprise dinghy, another genius Jack Holt design that still has a healthy class 60 years later. I have only sailed a Mirror once as far as I can remember, but I know its a great little boat. I'm sure you will enjoy yours.

Paul HD

Visit site
Paul HD, you are doing a lovely job...but please go and have a race in it. It doesn't really matter where you come, but it does give a point to all that skills honing that makes you a more proficient and better sailor.

Hi Alfie,

I have joined a local sailing club, as soon as we are back to some sort of normality I will definitely give it a go.

Cheers,
Paul.