Miranda Merron

Frogmogman

Visit site
Congratulations to Miranda Merron on getting la campagne de France safely around the world in one piece, and in a respectable time, the ninth woman to successfully complete the race in the Vendée Globe’s history. She has achieved this on a shoestring budget, and her dispatches have always been well worth following. I was particularly taken with story of the photos she had of her friends from her local taped up around her chart table, so she could have a beer with them on a Friday evening. At a time when we’ve all been stuck at home, unable to go to the pub ourselves, it was particularly apposite.

It’s interesting to reflect how in the history of what is a very French race, that five of the nine women to finish have been British, and how in this particular edition, three of the four British competitors have been of the fairer sex. Is this down to the inspiration provided by Dame Ellen ?

Kudos to them all; they make me proud to be British.

Bobc

Visit site
Fantastic job done by Miranda. I missed her arrival last night, but hope she got a good reception.

I hope she does the next one with some proper backing and a better boat.

Frogmogman

Visit site
Fantastic job done by Miranda. I missed her arrival last night, but hope she got a good reception.

I hope she does the next one with some proper backing and a better boat.

I think she had a fairly good boat this time. She made the point this morning, when standing on the dock at Les Sables d'Olonne, that she had sailed a very conservative race as she was always conscious that the boat was not insured. She certainly brought it home in pretty good nick.

Her sponsor has been with her for the last 10 years, and has supported her Open 40 racing. At her press conference it was the sponsor who was close to tears whilst asking a question. I think there is a pretty strong bond there, and would be quite surprised if she were to go out looking for a richer backer, if the existing one wished to pursue a campaign for the next race.

Nimrod18

Visit site
Bravo Miranda. I also spotted the 5/9 female finishers are Brits - that really is something to celebrate and underscores her achievement.

I hope that this trio (at least) are there in 2024. The “more men have walked on the moon (12) than women have finished the Vendée (9)” statement will remain true for another 4 years and hopefully attract more resources behind them (noting Frogm’n’s comment) and (perhaps wishful thinking) elevate the race in the Brit public’s conscience.

dgadee

Visit site
It’s interesting to reflect how in the history of what is a very French race, that five of the nine women to finish have been British, and how in this particular edition, three of the four British competitors have been of the fairer sex. Is this down to the inspiration provided by Dame Ellen ?

Yes, and how little UK press coverage they have got in comparison with the achievement. The Guardian (a 'wimmin paper' you would think) has barely noted it. It prefers to cover UFC, whatever that is.

newtothis

Visit site
Yes, and how little UK press coverage they have got in comparison with the achievement. The Guardian (a 'wimmin paper' you would think) has barely noted it. It prefers to cover UFC, whatever that is.

Don't let your political prejudice get in the way of the facts, now. Hope you're going to have a proper go at the Hate Mail now. Its the real 'wimmin' paper.

1613748158450.png

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Don't let your political prejudice get in the way of the facts, now. Hope you're going to have a proper go at the Hate Mail now. Its the real 'wimmin' paper.

View attachment 109581
I have no political prejudice. I simply point out the many errors of many others in my fight for truth. But did the Mail's wimmin sections cover the Vendee Globe?
Guess that Mr N mighter got up later than his mind this morning ?

OR

HE was reading the DM a well known Womans paper

Frogmogman

Visit site
Can we not just celebrate the amazing achievement of the British competitors, without turning this into a bunfight over the politics of different UK papers ?

FWIW, I think the Vendée Globe has made massive strides in it's visibility with this edition. The use of WhatsApp in the fleet has massively increased the amount of content generated by the competitors; some of this year's sailors have proved themselves excellent communicators (I'm thinking in particular of Pip Hare and Boris Herrmann). Medallia, Pip's sponsor (AFAIK the first major US sponsor in this race since Duracell sponsored Mike Plant) was clearly delighted with his return on investment, to the extent that he he's offered to finance a competitive boat for the next one.

Is the lack of coverage by old school newspapers a problem? Probably not; they've not shown much interest in sailing since they themselves stopped sponsoring the likes of the Golden Globe and the Ostar. In any case their circulations are in terminal decline, and more modern media can present the whole thing in a much more compelling way.

dgadee

Visit site
Is the lack of coverage by old school newspapers a problem? Probably not; they've not shown much interest in sailing since they themselves stopped sponsoring the likes of the Golden Globe and the Ostar. In any case their circulations are in terminal decline, and more modern media can present the whole thing in a much more compelling way.

I think it is. TV news still bases its output on what the papers are saying. You see lots of young french sailors about the place in comparison with the UK. That must be (no idea how much, of course) because sailing is just not visible as an adventure sport in the UK as it is in France.

Anyway, not sure there was a bun fight going on.

Frogmogman

Visit site
I think it is. TV news still bases its output on what the papers are saying. You see lots of young french sailors about the place in comparison with the UK. That must be (no idea how much, of course) because sailing is just not visible as an adventure sport in the UK as it is in France.

Anyway, not sure there was a bun fight going on.

Of course, in France, sailing (like skiing) is perceived in a rather different way to the UK.

Both sports in the UK are seen by many as expensive sports for toffs (regardless of the reality); the press invariably play up to this by insisting on referring to even the mankiest old tub as a "luxury yacht". In France, both are more accessible, so don't suffer from the same prejudice.

The Vendée Globe in particular has really captured the public's imagination over the years, and is a major media event.

newtothis

Visit site
Of course, in France, sailing (like skiing) is perceived in a rather different way to the UK.

Both sports in the UK are seen by many as expensive sports for toffs (regardless of the reality); the press invariably play up to this by insisting on referring to even the mankiest old tub as a "luxury yacht". In France, both are more accessible, so don't suffer from the same prejudice.

The Vendée Globe in particular has really captured the public's imagination over the years, and is a major media event.
Where I grew up kicky-ball got no coverage in the media at all because it wasn't of interest to many people in the country. Sailing did, and still does, receive front page coverage. Here the obsession is with kicky-ball and not sailing.
But yeah, using denigrating terms like 'wimmin' in a thread about a woman sailor is political. Ever wonder why there are so few female contributors to these boards?

newtothis

Visit site
Definition: "non-standard spelling of ‘women’ adopted by some feminists to avoid the word ending -men."

I think you are on weak ground. Stop digging!
Gammon definition: "Gammon is the hind leg of pork after it has been cured by dry-salting or brining"
But if I referred to a newspaper's 'gammon' readership it would have a different meaning.
I don't believe your use of 'wimmin' was to stand in solidarity with the sisterhood.

dgadee

Visit site
I don't believe your use of 'wimmin' was to stand in solidarity with the sisterhood.

You can, of course, believe anything you want about my intentions (I think you are just being awkward and looking for an argument). The Guardian has a female editor, has been for a long period a supporter of female equality, yet ignores examples of female endeavor in one of the most strenuous human tests. I think that's pretty poor stuff. Even worse, the sports pages include reports on that stupid UFC 'sport'.

Nimrod18

Visit site
Can I congratulate some of the contributors to this thread. You have managed to take a conversation aimed at highlighting the achievement of the best of us and turn it into an outflanking, widdling contest that attempts to demonstrate the worst of us. I have no interest in your replies, but if you are so minded to post a riposte, consider a scenario where Vendée Globe finisher Miranda Merron (or perhaps one of her team) scouts around the www to assess the impact of her 101 day ordeal. I hope beyond all hopes that the majority of this thread gets automatically filtered.

dgadee

Visit site
I am sure she is old enough and (after a career in advertising) clever enough to filter out things herself. So no need for you to seek the higher moral position.

My point remains - why are these women not regarded as highly in the UK press as they should be? Newspaper reportage is important for future funding.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Well not these days have any interest in the Globe trotting exploits of anyone what ever , if they sail the East Coast of our country then i am interested;

Guess taking a look at how our Govts supported Boating /Sailing in past years todays or even yesteryears Govts of whtever Political Ideology have shown very little encouragement at all; Indeed twas Lord Beaverbrook and Prince Phylip along with the Daily Mirror and Daily Express along with Barry Bucknall (of DIY fame) who gave a lot of publicity to both Sailng and Boating in 50s and 60s

Cannot recall anyone since then who has commanded a great public reaction and supporting role; even the present World Class Helms and crews just seem rather distant these days to us mortals

Rappey

Visit site
Dakar rally, vendee globe, America's cup. All things I can't watch on British TV as they would rather waste time on football and most people i know have zero interest in that. Youtube shines and provides lots of content and coverage

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Yep guess that its really a financial thing that dictates what Sports are shown on the TV these days , do the Big Footy Clubs actually pay the TV Companies fees etc ?

Its really disapointing though to me, see such little apparent understanding and appreciation of our Boating /Sailng history these days ; I posted the Bob Fisher item from Scuttlebutt to East Coast thinking that, as Bob originated from the East Coast, an Essex boy indeed, there would be comment from present Essex yachtys by the bucket full, but alas not even a half bucket full; it does seem unfortunately that in Boating /Yachting /Sailing circles very few sucessfull persons get rememberd for very long if indeed remembered at all ; women or female yachties seem to be remembered better than men, but maybe not for the best reasons; but certain Females have battled on and gained recognition spreading over many many years

Just maybe the Yachties amoungst us are either fairly new to the scene so maybe have no knowledge of our history, just not interested at all, are more self indulged that previous Yachties have been, are too involved in getting their History from fb etc, whatever its pretty disapointing all together