Minimum size for liveaboard

Stevesandley

Visit site
A quick question... what do people think is the minimum size boat I will need for living aboard in a marina on the Medway?
Just me,occasional guests, and I'd like a reasonably spacious saloon/lounge.
Thanks

Tranona

Visit site
Minimum size depends entirely on on your expectations of space and standard of living - plus the depth of your pocket, both to buy and pay your mooring fee, maintenance etc.

You are, however unlikely to get a boat with 2 sleeping cabins and a saloon plus sufficient storage space under about 35' in length.

Stevesandley

Visit site
It'll be a motor boat... Fairline,Princess or similar. I was thinking of 38 foot plus.budget up to £60K.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
They are not particularly good boats for living aboard, particularly if you want to live year round. They deteriorate very quickly if not used, and if used the running costs are frightening.

However, that means that they can be bought "cheaply", but expect resale value to fall rapidly if used as a liveaboard.

PlanB

Visit site
Actually, we lived on our Princess 435 on the Medway for three years. Provided we kept background heating and ventilation in the winter, plus extra heating when needed, it was fine. We didn't use the Eber because of the noise, plus an oil filled radiator was more effective. Condensation was not an issue, as so many of the surfaces were wood, rather than grp.
Size wise, it was perfect - the aft cabin makes for really comfortable sleeping accommodation.
Yes, a motor boat has higher running costs (think engine servicing etc) than a yacht, but if you do your homework, there are not too many nasty surprises. And you can see out of the saloon windows.

Stevesandley

Visit site
Yes that Princess is about the size I'm thinking about. Actually I'm still toying with the idea of a widebeam narrow boat! More "homelike"inside but... I really want to be able to go boating seawrds (on extremely calm days!)

Tranona

Visit site
Much more sensible idea. They are designed primarily for living on. A Princess is designed for short term holiday style living and entertaining.

Bob Stay

N/A
Visit site
Yes that Princess is about the size I'm thinking about. Actually I'm still toying with the idea of a widebeam narrow boat! More "homelike"inside but... I really want to be able to go boating seawrds (on extremely calm days!)

Have a look at the smaller Dutch sailing barges, such as tjalks, there is a huge variety of types and prices available, from rust buckets to gorgeous varnished classics.
They nearly all used to have sailing rigs, so the hulls are easily driven and more seakindly than widebeam narrowboats (which are expensive for what you get IMO).
They had simple rigs, there's nothing to stop you buying one that still had its tabernacle, chainplates etc for later conversion back to sail. It woukd be a relatively cheap way to get a large liveaboard sailing boat!

Spi D

Visit site
+1 for checking Dutch boats, for the purpose.

Almost all are steel and insulated, some with double glazing, made for all year use. Many built low with bridges in mind and have well protected props & rudder. Power and speed commonly modest and plenty available for hire on hteir canals if you want to try 'hands on'.

Depending on your requirements your budget might get you a pretty new(ish) boat.
http://www.botentekoop.nl/rubriek/m...00-75000&lengte=1000-1400&rompmateriaal=staal

Last edited:

Vanguard

Visit site
You might want to consider a Dutch river cruiser, generous in proportion and mostly rated up to F8, and engined for a more sedate pace rather than getting on the plane as fast as possible. There are a few in the UK but those are frequently quite new so a trip to Holland after locating a few to view would be your best bet.

Megs20Burt!

Visit site
My sister and family lIves on their 36 ft motor boat for almost 5 months whilst they waited for their house to be finished. The kids were of school age and both worked full-time.
it was a challenge, but they did it.