Mini Transat 2021

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
tracker

There was a time when I seriously considered taking a year off and doing this. Sadly it didn't happen but I still enjoy following the series and this race. They were forced to do it in one leg last time but back to the normal 2 legs this year.

Anyone who has seen the sailing frenchman on Youtube will know he's in with one of the newest series boats and could well be a contender.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Four boats have passed Finisterre and are running south at 10+ avg knots (possibly Irina the Russian heading for Cascais?)
All the others farther north have been delayed by weak winds, they are now running for shelter into North Spain ports/harbour as an approaching front will bring strong to violent SW along all the coast, Coruna Camarinas Baiona...
mini0110c.jpg

Roberto

Hardly ever seen something like this: four boats are already at Gibraltar latitude, all the others have stopped, there are 70+ boats in the area of the image. Two seem to be continuing past Baiona, one is German the other Austrian, maybe a language problem with the race committee (?)

mini0210.jpg

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
I wonder if they will release the boats in sequence as the wind passes their latitude or all together? The 4 Prototype boats will have a weeks lead after the first leg!

Roberto

Yes, I know- the comment about videos made me wonder if they’d relaxed that rule..
Actually, the all had to deposit their personal cell phones to the organizers before the start; then when they were all stopped in Galicia a number of videos appeared on all sort of social media FB Instagram etc.
Maybe they took the desktop PC of the Real Nautico Baiona and went filming on the pontoons waving it in the air :)