Mine head anchorage

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
I don't know how well known this area is but I have anchored just outside Minehead twice in high winds - both times very comfortable.

On Sunday we left a very roly anchor just east of Padstow on the morning tide, got to Lundy for a two hour rest and avoid the worst of the foul, spring-ish tide; and then to Minehead. All in a W F5-6. All the way the wave heights were around 1.5 - 2 metres with occasional extras. These did not drop as we approached the shore but almost completely died right inshore. We had a very quiet six hours before making our way to Portishead on Monday morning in light winds.

Agreed it's out of the way a bit but very well worth knowing about in anything from West to South or maybe SE winds

Birdseye

Visit site
Interesting. Where precisely "outside Minehead"? And what was the actual wind direction? As a deep fin boat anchoring in Combe is next to useless because to keep water under the keel in spring tides we arent anchoring in Combe but well on the way to Wales! .

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
The anchorage is half way between the green buoy and the farmhouse on the hillside (it's very clear because all the rest is woods bar this one field and house). If you look at the chart you'll see a little hook of drying area. If the map doesn't show my pin then it's level with the farmhouse and just west of the line going north from Minehead Harbour. You can just see it on the Google satellite view. We anchored in about two metres LAT. We draw 1.5m.

Google Maps

The charts do show another anchorage further east, half way to Watchet but we thought that would have to much blow from the westerlies. It was a strong westerly wind on Sunday

Last edited:

Birdseye

Visit site
The anchorage is half way between the green buoy and the farmhouse on the hillside (it's very clear because all the rest is woods bar this one field and house). If you look at the chart you'll see a little hook of drying area. If the map doesn't show my pin then it's level with the farmhouse and just west of the line going north from Minehead Harbour. You can just see it on the Google satellite view. We anchored in about two metres LAT. We draw 1.5m.

Google Maps

The charts do show another anchorage further east, half way to Watchet but we thought that would have to much blow from the westerlies. It was a strong westerly wind on Sunday
not clear from the map because it doesnt show your pin or a green buoy or the farmhouse. Is the field area you are referring to the one that is right at the waters edge and dead north of the Woodcombe name on the map?

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
not clear from the map because it doesnt show your pin or a green buoy or the farmhouse. Is the field area you are referring to the one that is right at the waters edge and dead north of the Woodcombe name on the map?
There is nice cottage with green field right behind. Its fairly steep too even at low water, and you come in until the shore fishermen start worrying you will foul their kit. Not brilliant holding but Ok. The white mark on rock, painted no doubt by long dead fishermen is very visible in daylight

In really bad blow I would sooner sit out the bullet proof holding in Blue Anchor

adancarlin

Visit site
I don't know how well known this area is but I have anchored just outside Minehead twice in high winds - both times very comfortable.

On Sunday we left a very roly anchor just east of Padstow on the morning tide, got to Lundy for a two hour rest and avoid the worst of the foul, spring-ish tide; and then to Minehead. All in a W F5-6. All the way the wave heights were around 1.5 - 2 metres with occasional extras. These did not drop as we approached the shore but almost completely died right inshore. We had a very quiet six hours before making our way to Portishead on Monday morning in light winds.

Agreed it's out of the way a bit but very well worth knowing about in anything from West to South or maybe SE winds
I'll enjoy that and the illustrations. Thanks.

llywelyn1984

Visit site
It's got the White mark on the cliff/wall just west of the harbour wall. Anchored there the other week in the summer whilst waiting for the tide to change having spent the night in Minehead harbour on the way back to Cardiff from a weekend in Ilfracombe in my friends bilge keeler. nb If you can bottom out or at high tide Minehead harbour is lovely and has a decent pub.
The anchorage is nice place to stop for a picnic...not sure id like to stay in anything rough.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
It's got the White mark on the cliff/wall just west of the harbour wall. ... The anchorage is nice place to stop for a picnic...not sure id like to stay in anything rough.
That's my point: in a high end moderate westerly it was calm, but only in that one spot. Holding is not as good as BWB but our Manson held good.