Milford Haven

Daydream believer

Visit site
When I sailed round Uk I was asked by my grandson to send a postcard from every place I visited so he could collate them for his school project & his class could follow the trip.
In Milford Haven I parked in the marina. I was unable to buy a card with a picture of the place. When I asked in a newsagent why this should be, the reply was something on the lines of, " Who on earth would want a picture of this dump". I had to admit the place did not actually inspire me into wanting to stay. Next stop wasDun Laoghaire which was certainly a refreshing change .

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
When I sailed round Uk I was asked by my grandson to send a postcard from every place I visited so he could collate them for his school project & his class could follow the trip.
In Milford Haven I parked in the marina. I was unable to buy a card with a picture of the place. When I asked in a newsagent why this should be, the reply was something on the lines of, " Who on earth would want a picture of this dump". I had to admit the place did not actually inspire me into wanting to stay. Next stop wasDun Laoghaire which was certainly a refreshing change .
I bought a MH post card a few years ago, it's the only one I have ever seen, and looks to be from the 70's.
The attraction of MH is definitely to the seaward side of the lock gates.
There's been a lot of money spent around the harbour in the last few years, but up the hill in town is like the land the economy forgot...

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Back in the days when Milford was a thriving fishing port, there was an Ice factory at the top of the hill, and massive slabs of ice were sent down a big slide to the quayside to the fisheries.
Some of Milford is built on the ‘American grid’ system which dates back to when the Nantucket Whalers were resident in the town, and it’s still possible to find street names such as Starbucks dating back to those times.
Sadly it does now look a bit sorry for itself, but many once thriving coastal towns are very much the same.

Last edited:

Seastoke

Visit site
Well we came and went , we fed at Marthers had beer with Tico , then onto Padstow and beyond, thanks for all the help.

Spanjaard

Visit site
Well, at Milford Haven for me, the Harbourmaster would be the best place for beer and food. Ask for the specials of the day. I was surprised for the relation quality-portion-price. I would highly recommend them above Martha's Vineyard who were far less generous on their portions and more expensive. The marina's view was good on both places.
For a nice cocktail (and some good food too but a little pricey) I would recommend Madison's. Good music there too.

In Neyland I would definitely recommend the Bar at the Marina, unexpansive nice place to eat, generous portions, freshly cook good food.
The Alumchine inside Neyland Yacht Club, serves excellent food too.

And the Jolly Sailor, I did not had the chance to get in; however all the locals praised it and recommended it.