Migrants, have you personally been affected when sailing?

Tomahawk

Visit site
Taking great care to not express opinions about the rights or wrongs of the migrants crossing the channel in boats, have you been affected when sailing?
As East Coast sailors visiting channel ports we are more likely to be directly affected than any other group of people.

[content removed] the possibility of stow aways and or official reaction such as being searched, has it affected you? Have you been intercepted by or even come across a migrant boat whilst on passage? Have you changed your sailing plans because of what is happening, or even the perception of what is happening?

[content removed] We were also boarded by Customs outside Ramsgate who searched us for stow aways... Have to say they were idiots.. we had been watching them leave the Swale as we both headed for N Foreland so they should have seen us. But to be boarded was an intruison.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tomahawk

Visit site
Not at all.
As I said, as East Coast sailors visiting places like Calais, Dover, Dunkirk and Oostend we are more likely to come across migrant craft than South Coasters on the Solent. I consider it is a legitimate question about something that may and I emphasise may have a direct effect on our sailing.

If no one has any anecdotes to relate, then clearly the question has been answered in the negative. Which is actually very positive for us as recreational mariners.

johnalison

Visit site
I haven’t visited the relevant places recently and have to confess that it is never on my mind when I am sailing in our waters. Many years ago we were approached by a young Americanish lady in Calais who asked us if we would let her come with us to England. I don’t know how secure the moorings are these days in the French Channel ports. Usually, gates such as those in Dieppe are fairly easy to bluff your way through. Not quite relevant, but many years ago we saw a yacht motoring downwind off Ramsgate when any sailor would be sailing and it crossed our mind to wonder if they were up to no good. Nowadays I would be more inclined to call up the coastguard.

sailorman

Visit site
The profit in this illegal cargo is not going to go away. I foresee the incidence will increase and the stakes will be raised. Not long from now the whole area will be policed like a war zone, and our place in it will be questionable.
The forum master may wish to tidy up this comment, or the whole thread, but I think the discussion is fair game, and very relevant.
I have bought in mucho jupilerfrom oostsnde over the psst 40 yrsoh and a few duval too

DoubleEnder

Visit site
Been approached a couple of times by Border Force boats, just asked some simple questions, never boarded though. Once was in my boat, once in a charter yacht, both times in the Thames estuary

SaltIre

Visit site
A chap in the marina used his boat so infrequently some swallows set up home inside his mainsail cover. RSPB said they were protected and shouldn't be disturbed, so he couldn't sail his boat until the autumn by which time they'd flown south!
I wasn't affected - but he was. The only use he got out of his boat was motoring about due to the stowaways.(n)
Swallow Migration | When Do Swallows Migrate? - The RSPB

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
Taking great care to not express opinions about the rights or wrongs of the migrants crossing the channel in boats, have you been affected when sailing?
As East Coast sailors visiting channel ports we are more likely to be directly affected than any other group of people.

[content removed] the possibility of stow aways and or official reaction such as being searched, has it affected you? Have you been intercepted by or even come across a migrant boat whilst on passage? Have you changed your sailing plans because of what is happening, or even the perception of what is happening?

[content removed] We were also boarded by Customs outside Ramsgate who searched us for stow aways... Have to say they were idiots.. we had been watching them leave the Swale as we both headed for N Foreland so they should have seen us. But to be boarded was an intruison.
Why wouldn't we be allowed to express an opinion?

Yes, I've been personally affected. Once in Calais about five years ago when one of the illegal hopefuls threw a rock at the van I was in (because we wouldn't stop). More recently we were stopped and boarded by the Border Farce west of Eddystone.

Tomahawk

Visit site
Why wouldn't we be allowed to express an opinion?

Yes, I've been personally affected. Once in Calais about five years ago when one of the illegal hopefuls threw a rock at the van I was in (because we wouldn't stop). More recently we were stopped and boarded by the Border Farce west of Eddystone.

Clanger,
That's simple, expressing opinions about the rights and wrongs will likes as not get you banned. Indeed there is a FAT announcement that someone, unnamed, has indeed been banned.

Sadly it seems that we cannot discuss the issue in any way. I had posted a description of a related experience whilst sailing. The FAT has deleted it. I want to find out about how a news story that is attracting international attention may be affecting our hobby. At the bottom line I want to know is it safe to visit Calais and similar. But if the FAT are going to delete any posts that describe members experiences, we are denied a source of information that may be helpful to others.

Are we allowed to ask for peoples experience of bureaucracy visiting Europe post Brexit? Or is that verbotten because Brexit was a political decision that some people disageree about?

johnalison

Visit site
Clanger,
That's simple, expressing opinions about the rights and wrongs will likes as not get you banned. Indeed there is a FAT announcement that someone, unnamed, has indeed been banned.

Sadly it seems that we cannot discuss the issue in any way. I had posted a description of a related experience whilst sailing. The FAT has deleted it. I want to find out about how a news story that is attracting international attention may be affecting our hobby. At the bottom line I want to know is it safe to visit Calais and similar. But if the FAT are going to delete any posts that describe members experiences, we are denied a source of information that may be helpful to others.

Are we allowed to ask for peoples experience of bureaucracy visiting Europe post Brexit? Or is that verbotten because Brexit was a political decision that some people disageree about?
I would hope that discussion of any matter of current affairs or controversy would be allowed when it is confined to matters that concern us as yachtsmen. I don’t myself have strong opinions about matters relating to immigration, but am interested in how it affects sailors, and those wanting to venture abroad will no doubt value comment from those with direct experience.

Tomahawk

Visit site
Indeed,
For instance what are we expected to do if we come across a migrant boat? I would be very reluctant to go near one if it were full of young healthy looking men. I don't know what engines they have, but could we outrun one if they decided to use us as a rescue?

Of course this is hypothetical until people report on their experience and we begin to get some idea of whether there is a problem that may affect us as recreational mariners.

Biggles Wader

Visit site
I have not been affected at all by the migrants so far and I am often in the relevant area. As for what to do if you come accross a migrant boat,call it in to the coastguard. If it is genuine distress render aid as best you can with due regard to your safety. With all the hundreds of boats that have come over I have not heard of one giving chase to a yacht.
I dont think this issue is something that affects us boaters much apart from when the border force take up all the best moorings

Marmalade

Visit site
Didn't cross this year - stayed UK -side. Previousy we've noticed increased security around the pontoons in Boulogne and that's about it.

Poignard

Visit site
Indeed,
For instance what are we expected to do if we come across a migrant boat? I would be very reluctant to go near one if it were full of young healthy looking men. I don't know what engines they have, but could we outrun one if they decided to use us as a rescue?

Of course this is hypothetical until people report on their experience and we begin to get some idea of whether there is a problem that may affect us as recreational mariners.
You seem to be suggesting that migrants pose a threat to us and we should join you in fearing them.

I'm not at all clear what you think those who have spend thousands of euros in the hope of getting to the UK and being allowed to settle here would gain by attacking British citizens en route.