Middle Sea Race results?

Mudisox

Visit site
I am somewhat surprised with Jim and Gordon on the committee. Both normally sensible people. I wonder if the RC discussed with the Jury before making the decision.
As someone else said, the following boats had to get through the passage and then enter the harbour. Maybe under considerably reduced sail, but that required just good and proper seamanship.
We often ask boats to record their times at certain places whilst racing coastal courses, to enable a result to be made should the time limit expire; or we also "W" flag folk, so far behind on a course, to get another race in, giving them all a finish of "last". but this was something else.

Laser310

Visit site
Almost every race can be shortened at any mark,

yes, any race can be shortened...

but - according to the IJ - that's not what happened.

Rather, the organizer excercised their option under the SI's to declare a different finish line.

I've done literally thousands of races.., and never raced in one where the organizer could do what they did under the SI's for this race

I've raced in distance races where the SI's specified more than one course - with the course to be chosen before the warning signal.

and pretty much every race we do permits the RC to shorten or change the course - subject to the restrictions of the RRS...

but i've never seen what happened here.

flaming

Visit site
Worth remembering that not only did the overall IRC result change, but at a stroke they invalidated the 2 line honours records. Commanche’s probably would have stood for a very long time.

Laser310

Visit site
Worth remembering that not only did the overall IRC result change, but at a stroke they invalidated the 2 line honours records. Commanche’s probably would have stood for a very long time.

seems like they still have an "official" momohull elapsed time record...

quote from the race website:

"Comanche has achieved the trifecta of overall winner, monohull line honours and a monohull race record. Comanche’s race record of 40 hours, 17 minutes and 50 seconds is based upon the full course distance of 606nm. "

It doesn't make much sense that the race finish time would be one time and they would use a different finish time for an official record - but they have.

Last edited by a moderator:

flaming

Visit site
seems like they still have an "official" momohull elapsed time record...

quite from the race website:

"Comanche has achieved the trifecta of overall winner, monohull line honours and a monohull race record. Comanche’s race record of 40 hours, 17 minutes and 50 seconds is based upon the full course distance of 606nm. "

It doesn't make much sense that the race finish time would be one time and they would use a different finish time for an official record - but they have.
Wow.

sorry, but no. You can’t give them the race record on the full course but then the IRC win on the short course when they were beaten over the full course.

Someone asked about “new facts”. In my humble opinion, there they are… The RC recognises the results of Comanche over the full course, so why don’t they recognise the results of the other boats who finished the full course?

This really is a very, very poor decision from the RC here.

flaming

Visit site
It's a fine line between "Oi, that's not the rules" and being a bad loser.

I think they're staying the right side of it though, that's a very well set out set of arguments as to why the process was wrong. I actually met the owner, Tom, in a ski chalet of all places, many years ago just as he was buying his previous boat. He didn't strike me as a whiner, I rather liked him though I definitely would not have predicted the success that he's had since. Mind you, I'm not sure he would have either...

dunedin

Visit site
It's a fine line between "Oi, that's not the rules" and being a bad loser.

I think they're staying the right side of it though, that's a very well set out set of arguments as to why the process was wrong. I actually met the owner, Tom, in a ski chalet of all places, many years ago just as he was buying his previous boat. He didn't strike me as a whiner, I rather liked him though I definitely would not have predicted the success that he's had since. Mind you, I'm not sure he would have either...
I think there is a difference between a “bad loser” and a clear winner (by 16 minutes on ORC) having their win taken away retrospectively, over a day after they finished.
They beat Comanche fair and square, and substantially, over the course that both boats completed.

flaming

Visit site
I think there is a difference between a “bad loser” and a clear winner (by 16 minutes on ORC) having their win taken away retrospectively, over a day after they finished.
They beat Comanche fair and square, and substantially, over the course that both boats completed.
Yep. Agree entirely. (Apart from it being on IRC, not ORC)

Wing Mark

Visit site
Dodgy decisions from pretentious yacht clubs on third world islands full of criminals.
We had all that with PO postcodes....