Middelburg 1930

michael_w

Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if those ladies capsized in any wind, or maybe they were just hard of hearing.

johnalison

Visit site
Since someone posted a Dutch historic video I've been inundated with suggestions of similar ones. There was a lovely one of a day excursion to Urk, but I can't find it I'm afraid.

Dan Tribe

Visit site
A charming little film. Was it shot in colour or colourised later?
At the museum, I saw some photos of the devastation from bombing, It hardly looked like anything was left standing, but now it's hard to believe that it isn't all original.

johnalison

Visit site
I've found my Urkish film. I was there three or four years ago. It is a curious place, and I thought it looked a bit depressed, like Lowestoft. Having lost much of its raison d'etre which was fishing and let us heathens in to gawp at them, they don't seem to know where they stand.

johnalison

Visit site
I may have been a bit unkind to Urk, bearing in mind this picture I took in 2016. It is a small part of the memorial to fishermen lost at sea. Note the last date.f (59) copy.jpg
And there are plenty of attractive things to see.
f (42) copy.jpg

westhinder

Visit site
I've found my Urkish film. I was there three or four years ago. It is a curious place, and I thought it looked a bit depressed, like Lowestoft. Having lost much of its raison d'etre which was fishing and let us heathens in to gawp at them, they don't seem to know where they stand.
It’s raison d’être is still fish, but in a slightly different way. The boats stay away in North Sea ports, they truck their catch back home and the relief crew arrive by minibus. Fisheries activity in Urk has shifted to an industrial estate outside the village, which has grown into Europe’s largest fish processing centre, not just processing the catch of the Urker boats, but fish imported from all over the world. They claim to be the largest processers of Norwegian salmon.
There is of course still the all-pervasive church influence, but the place is also known for its drugs problem.
Just this weekend I saw this article:
Bidden, vissen en zuipen | Gedeeld artikel van De Morgen
Bidden, vissen en zuipen
an interview with a journalist who wrote a book about Urk