MG Yachts - 335, Spring25 etc - History and Boats - Please add any info....

ds797

Visit site
MG Yachts based in Greenock, Scotland, MG stood for "Marine Glass"

MG Spring 25 - Castro designed, 3ft wing keel, twin rudders, of Howards Way fame. With a few tweaks later became the Jaguar 265. Approx 1988-1993. Over 200 built.

MG26 - Castro? designed 1/4 tonner.

MG HS 30 - Humpheries? designed 1/2 tonner.

MG RS 34 - Humpheries designed 3/4 tonner. Tiller steering.

MG 335/346 - Castro designed cruiser/racer. 1987-1994, approx 47 produced, around 40 335s, the rest 346s. Believe all produced by Northshore at Itchenor. 346 upgraded hardware, grey detailing and upgraded price. Most 335s had wheel steering, but at least 3 have or now have tiller. 4ft wing keel or 6ft3 fin. Same hull produced in Canada by CS Yachts as CS34 - different coachroof and interior.

MG 35 - Castro design concept, believe none built.

MG 38 - Humpheries design.

MG CS36 and CS40. Castro designs. Believed built by CS Yachts of Canada. Sold in Canada/USA as CS40 and CS36 Merlin. Believed one of each in UK. Believed shipped to UK and "MG" blue stickers applied.

Any further information on history of the company its people and the boats etc gratefully received.

armchairsailor

Visit site
I thought they were something to do with Maurice Griffiths?

CS Yachts (Vancouver/ BC-based) were run by Raymond Wall, ex. C&N/ Nicholson 30 designer - dunno if he designed all the CS's, but it would seem likely.

E39mad

Visit site
MGC 27 (or MG 27) - the "C" is because it was a Contessa 27 prior to being taken on by MG. A lovely to sail Rob Humphreys fractional rig sloop.

Available in fin or lifting keel, one or two had bilge towards the end and there are some tandem keel (Warwick Collins) keel versions.

Boat is actually 29' overall, with a long cockpit, self taking headsail. Below decks open plan interior for 5/6.

Northshore built from about 1987 onwards. Some bonded units sold and completed by owners - although not too difficult due to large internal moulding.

One of the nicest sailing boats of it's era.

Davidbs

Visit site
Not sure this thread is still open, but MG also produced smaller boats.
I recently restored an MG Club 16. I have a feeling that there were less than 6 of those, and there was a club 19 as well

Andywilson

Visit site
Not sure this thread is still open, but MG also produced smaller boats.
I recently restored an MG Club 16. I have a feeling that there were less than 6 of those, and there was a club 19 as well
I am currently looking at an mg club 16. Does anyone have any information on them. I am particularly interested to know how much they weigh.

Siggi

Visit site
Hi I am own an MG Spring 25 and I am wondering whether anyone has any information about the bushes that are used in the steering system for the twin rudders? The bushes appear to have an inner diameter of about 44mm. If you have any information (maybe even know of a supplier), this would be very, very helpful. Kind regards, Siggi