mercant navy to super yachts

mocruising

Visit site
Would anybody know anything about transfering from the merchany navy into the super yacht industry. I have a Class 1 FG and have been ashore/offshore for some years now but would quite like a complete change in employment. I have always been a keen sailor and yacht owner and understand that the superyacht industry is booming, where does one get a start.

<hr width=100% size=1>

papuan

Visit site
It sounds as though your ticket is of the old pre STCW type. This is no bad thing but if you havn't been on merchant ships for more than 5 years it will need revalidating. That involves a three week couse (I recomend Liverpoor John Moors Uni). Then it needs an up to date medical cert and that should give you enough for the mega yacht trade.
The admin for this has been taken over by the Marine Coastguard Agency who have a good website covering this area.
Lots of luck and let us know how you get on

<hr width=100% size=1>

tugboat

Visit site
There have been a couple of major articles in the Telegraph in recent months. The May issue has a small article on page 8 which mentions a couple of websites -
www.temporarycrew4yachts.com
www.permanentcrew4yachts.com
I tried them before posting this and they don't seem to be working right now. Maybe thats just a brief glitch, but I'm sure someone at the NUMAST office would be able to give you some advice on paths to try. Good luck.

<hr width=100% size=1>

geoff

Visit site
forgive me for digressing but on the subject of tickets....i've got 1stMate foreign going issued when adam was a lad.does the three week course still hold good? incidentally John moores Liverpool used to be the byrom street nautical college...thats were i studied for tickets.hope you dont mind me butting in...

<hr width=100% size=1>

papuan

Visit site
Yes the three week course still holds good for a first mates, check with the collage to see if you need any other certs - firefighting, survival craft and the like -. If your thinking about going back then there seems to be plenty of jobs out there.

<hr width=100% size=1>