Memorable moments caught on camera

Refueler

Visit site
C'mon - we all have those moments caught on camera that hold something special .. remind us why we like boating ... why not post here and let us enjoy ?

This is one evening sun setting in the west crossing the Baltic on my MAB .... Edgar sitting there - his first trip on a boat just taking in the sight ...

s2N1a8d.jpg

Later same trip - climbed to top of the island in Swedish Stockholm Archipelago and took this of the bay we were tied up to trees in :

w2QhJyp.jpg

So hows about your photos ?

Refueler

Visit site
Back in 2007 when plans to sail SA from hayling Island to Latvia fell through - basically workload meant the time away could not be had .. I agreed with one of the haulage companys we had contract with to use one of his trucks on a return journey from UK to Latvia to bring over. Understanding was to use a flat bed trailer but they took decision to use one of the box trailer artics. The driver had a terrible job reversing all the way through HYCO to the load point. At one stage we thought we would have to move her in the slings through to the public road to load her.
SA was measured to agree the truck and found to be a 'fag paper' under 2.5m .... so the change to box trailer was a risk ... and too late for me to change their decision.

dwkB6pW.jpg

We all crossed fingers and she was slowly lowered and lined up ... as she went in - the fenders were pushed up out of the way and slings grazed going in. But she made it ...

W1JwHvX.jpg

4 days later she arrived at my home ... with all the Christmas goodies - Turkeys, Crackers, all that is not available over here we wanted / items from UK that I had left after divorce etc. inside ...

iM3o8qs.jpg

Lifted to stand and be sorted in my front 'garden' ...

nWhtsEA.jpg

14 years later .. she's still providing that joy of sailing .. as Wife says - NEVER sell her .. you can buy another bigger boat - but she stays with us ... too many memories ...

Refueler

Visit site
Always remember my father making the dinghy fast to the wall at top of Newtown Creek .. must have been late 1960's .. of we went to the village pub .. when we went back to dinghy - it was hanging by its painter near vertical against the wall ... tide having gone out ! Back to Pub !!

trevbouy

Visit site
Always remember my father making the dinghy fast to the wall at top of Newtown Creek .. must have been late 1960's .. of we went to the village pub .. when we went back to dinghy - it was hanging by its painter near vertical against the wall ... tide having gone out ! Back to Pub !!

Similar experience. Our family hired a Norfolk Broads cruiser late 50's, all went well on most Broads but dad decided Great Yarmouth beckoned. Tied up via bow , stern and midships lines made very fast. "There, we can have hours now in town" says dad, fully intending to spend it in pub and me and cousins left to our own devices.
We later returned to pub where upon family decided time to go back to boat.
Approaching mooring wall side there was no sign of topside of boat but quite a crowd looking over edge. As we looked over there was the cruiser out of the water tilted at an alarming angle, hanging by the three lines . Dad asks an onlooker what happened. He replied, one of the stupid hire people didn't know about tides! Dad asks calmly, " Then well it be ok? " Onlooker says yes if cleats hold, the tide is rising again it will be afloat again in couple of hours. Cue Dad, "Teatime all, off to cafe" without letting on it was our boat.
Later when all clear we hastily boarded boat, turned and high tailed it further back upstream to moor for the night.

Refueler

Visit site
Bought present boat in Gosport .... Brian wanted to have last sail on her when I took her round from Gosport to Tudor Club in Langstone.
All went fine .. through the gap in sub defences ... waved to people on Southsea pier ... into Langstone and onto my mooring.

Put the Seagull on the Avon ... (i know its crazy - But I'd love to have Seagull again .. just for show ! that sound !!) We got in Avon and purred along to the slip at Tudor. Unloaded Avon ... and lifted the Seagull of the Avon bracket ... which fell to bits !! Literally the paint and thrust of the Seagull had held it together ............

Brian was not one to mince words !! I drove him home and searched for another bracket. 25 yrs later - that replacement bracket is still good .. Avon has had a few patches added ...

Thinking about that ....... pal of mine - we have a quiet lake in the forest we fish often. Good for Pike. usually we fish from the bank but one day - I said I would take my Avon..... we hefted it onto the roof bars and off we went ... lifted of the car and made sure it was pumped up hard.
Pushed her out from bank and climbed in. Pal asks me if its normal to have water INSIDE ....

Basically one of the old patches (been there from before I bought the Avon 2nd hand ~30yrs before) .. had failed ....

Pal wont go in that dinghy anymore - even though I replaced all suspect patches with proper gear !!