Meeting up in Essex - September 20th

Independence

Visit site
When we were in Terceira a few people were keen on meeting up prior to the more formal London gathering in January and I was volunteered to try and put something together for which I would like to offer an open invitation.

At the time a Saturday night in September seemed popular and as most of the attendees who met up piror to the challenge came from around the Colchester, Essex area I thought I would try and book somewhere there. The place I have in mind is just off the A12 and A120 and I would like to propose meeting Saturday 20th September at around 1930.

If anyone would like to attend please send a note to me expressing your interest and confirm how many places you would like to reserve. I will then try and make a booking and keep you in touch as arrangements are made.

Could I take this opportunity to congratulate everyone who made it to the start line which I know can be a major challenge in itself and to all those who got there and back safely.

Hope you can join us.

Best regards

Paul
Please reply to pmead50@hotmail.com

Noddy

Visit site
Yes Paul I think Colchester is a better bet than Braintree.

That Alan Charlton bloke has shown that he is not afraid of a bit of distance, so he'll be OK.

Count me in.

Paul

Gargleblaster

Visit site
What about somewhere we can get to by water. Such as the Colne Yacht Club, West Mersea Yacht Club or even the Butt & Oyster at Pin Mill. It means that if I can sleep on my boat I can have a beer or two.

It would be nice that it had deep water moorings for those of us with fin keels although I have done very very soft mud before today.

CPD

Visit site
Hi Paul,

Yep, count me in. Do I have to go via Ostende ? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alan

Independence

Visit site
Hi John,

I thought organising something people could reach by road might encourage a few who live some distance away and don't have the vacation for an extended weekend (if that was needed) or the weather for it on the day.

On saying that Colchester is on the river Colne and I know that there is a visitors pontoon at the Wivenhoe Sailing Club just a few miles away which is within easy reach by taxi or train to the town. It may be that someone might be able to collect you or share a taxi.

If this suits you let me know if you would like me to put you in contact with someone.
Best regards
Paul

Noddy

Visit site
John,

I can give a few people a lift from Wivenhoe / Brightlingsea.

Berth at Wivenhoe is free for 2 tides (showers & loo available) and the mud is deep and not smelly.

You might be brave enough to sail the Atlantic, but wait until you've experienced my driving!

Paul

Gargleblaster

Visit site
Paul & Paul,

As long as the mud is extra soft with no hard bits sunk into it, that sounds really good. I have sat alongside at Canvey Island Yacht Club before through two tides with no problems, in fact I sank in further than a long keeled smack next to me.

I don't know how far it is up the Colne from Pyefleet to Wivenhoe. But another possiblity that I have used between Harty Ferry and Faversham is to go up in my dinghy leaving my boat at anchor or on a mooring in the constant deep water.

Or I might even go by car, if the weather is unfavourable. But I'm not sure which would be more scary an F10 or Paul's driving. Having been driven through the streets of Saigon in a Kamikaze, which is motorbike with two seats over the front wheel for the passengers.

John Apps
'Glayva'

CPD

Visit site
I think i would rather be in a F10 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif