Med requirements for a holding tank

Denise123

Visit site
Hello
I have a moody S31 1997 do I require a holding tank to take and keep her in the med. If so has anyone else installed one. She is 9.97 long and 3.4 wide

RupertW

Visit site
Hello
I have a moody S31 1997 do I require a holding tank to take and keep her in the med. If so has anyone else installed one. She is 9.97 long and 3.4 wide
Some countries like Turkey have legal requirements but the answer is an absolute yes if you are going to enjoy the Med. Anchorages double up as turquoise swimming pools and staying a few days is one of the pleasures you move to the Med for. So you really don’t want your effluent floating around you while you swim or floating across to another boatload of swimmers. They work simplest and best if gravity emptied and as large as you can fit so you don’t have to leave a beautiful spot just to empty to the tank.

Ric

Visit site
+1 for above advice.

Not compulsory (except on newly built boats) anywhere AFAIK except Turkey.

But it is selfish and obnoxious not to fit and use one.

Tranona

Visit site
Retro fitting holding tanks can be difficult. As already suggested a gravity system is the preferred method for simplicity It needs to be a decent size - new boats of similar size usually have a tank capacity of 50-60l, but fitting this in an existing boat is not easy. 45l is a minimum to aim for.

Having looked at the toilet compartment arrangement on your boat I suspect a gravity system would not be possible as there does not seem to be room in the compartment for the tank and the alternative of putting it behind the aft bulkhead is not possible because that is the aft cabin. I suspect a pumped system with the tank under the aft bunk might be the way to go. However, suggest you contact the Moody owners association as other owners may have already done the job. Also tek-tanks.com is a good source of information and may already have a system and tank for your model boat.

TonyMS

www.montgomery-smith.org
I installed a 100lt Vetus flexible tank against the side of the loo compartment, supported in a sling. The effluent goes up from the loo to the top of the tank, and out the bottom via a cock to the sea. A third outlet goes from the top of the tank to the deck, to act as a gas pressure outlet Has worked fine for 10 years. It helps that the rim of our loo is above sea level.

B&M

Visit site
I was talking to a port official in Samos and he suggested that by 2023 all boats must have a holding tank and as In Turkey pump out facilities must be provided and logged. He also suggested that grey water may be part of the new legislation.

ryanroberts

Visit site
I was talking to a port official in Samos and he suggested that by 2023 all boats must have a holding tank and as In Turkey pump out facilities must be provided and logged. He also suggested that grey water may be part of the new legislation.

Grey water enforcement would be the end of non marina based recreational boating for anyone with a modest boat.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Turkey prohibits discharge of both black and grey water but I've yet to be on a boat with a grey water tank.