Med boaters - will you get to your boat this year?

julians

Visit site
Looks more likely that I'll be getting out to mallorca this summer, albeit having to isolate on return.

Although I hope that the Balearics will end up on the green list before I go, meaning that no need to isolate.

Suppose I'd better get the boat antifouled, serviced etc in that case....

Forty_Two

Visit site
This bit is worrying, will travel insurance companies use it to say no cover? Will be calling Topsail next week to see what they make of it.

This refers to after the 17th:
"You should not travel to amber list or red list countries or territories for leisure purposes"

Red, amber and green list rules for entering England

And of course medical insurance is now compulsory to enter EU as the EHIC/GHIC does not cover repatriation

julians

Visit site
This bit is worrying, will travel insurance companies use it to say no cover? Will be calling Topsail next week to see what they make of it.

This refers to after the 17th:
"You should not travel to amber list or red list countries or territories for leisure purposes"

Red, amber and green list rules for entering England

And of course medical insurance is now compulsory to enter EU as the EHIC/GHIC does not cover repatriation
Hmm, yes, need to see how insurance cos interpret those statements

Sandydog2

Visit site
Please can you tell me where I can find a reference to this ? I have found information on compulsory insurance requirements for a Schengen Visa, but I understood UK residents had a Schengen visa waiver for leisure travel.

julians

Visit site
Please can you tell me where I can find a reference to this ? I have found information on compulsory insurance requirements for a Schengen Visa, but I understood UK residents had a Schengen visa waiver for leisure travel.
I don't think it is a mandatory requirement., but more of a question of your personal appetite for risk. I'd probably be fine just travelling on the ehic card, but would like to see clarity from the ins co

Forty_Two

Visit site
Brexit
British citizens do not require a visa if spending up to 90 days over a 180 days period in the Schengen area. You may however be asked like any other third country nationals to justify your travel by the Immigration Officer (means of living, address of stay, medical travel insurance…).

Brexit: travel rules between the UK and France
obtain travel insurance covering all medical, hospital and death expenses that could be incurred during their stay in France, including repatriation costs for medical reasons. Current EHIC cards will still be valid until their expiry date.

Entry requirements - France travel advice
At French border control your passport may be stamped on entry and exit. You should also be prepared to:
queue in separate lanes from EU, EEA or Swiss citizens
show proof of your accommodation, for example a hotel booking or invitation from your host
show proof of insurance for your trip. Please check the guidance on travel insurance
you should also be able to prove that you have enough money for your stay. The minimum amount required depends on your accommodation. Please read the French government FAQs on travel

julians

Visit site
Brexit
British citizens do not require a visa if spending up to 90 days over a 180 days period in the Schengen area. You may however be asked like any other third country nationals to justify your travel by the Immigration Officer (means of living, address of stay, medical travel insurance…).

Brexit: travel rules between the UK and France
obtain travel insurance covering all medical, hospital and death expenses that could be incurred during their stay in France, including repatriation costs for medical reasons. Current EHIC cards will still be valid until their expiry date.

Entry requirements - France travel advice
At French border control your passport may be stamped on entry and exit. You should also be prepared to:
queue in separate lanes from EU, EEA or Swiss citizens
show proof of your accommodation, for example a hotel booking or invitation from your host
show proof of insurance for your trip. Please check the guidance on travel insurance
you should also be able to prove that you have enough money for your stay. The minimum amount required depends on your accommodation. Please read the French government FAQs on travel
Those are the French rules, Spain has a different set that doesn't mention insurance.

I wonder what the minimum level of insurance cover is for France, and would the ehic (or whatever its called) satisfy that requirement.

Forty_Two

Visit site
Those are the French rules, Spain has a different set that doesn't mention insurance.

I wonder what the minimum level of insurance cover is for France, and would the ehic (or whatever its called) satisfy that requirement.
I agree thats all for France. Their long term visitor visa (3-12 mths) needs a minimum of €30,000 & death repatriation so not exactly onerous. Problem witn the E/GHIC is it offers no cover for repatriation.

Moonstruck

Visit site
This may sound like a silly question, but are You allowed to go on holiday to a country that is classed as amber? I am reading conflicting statements in the press that say you can but that you must quarantine upon return but also I have read that leisure travel is not permitted to an amber country?
I think travel to amber countries is only still for essential reasons and is advised against?

Sandydog2

Visit site
Thank you. I had not realised there were small differences between Schengen countries. I had mistakenly thought that as there are no further checks when you move between countries, once you are in the Schengen zone, their requirements would all be the same.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
This may sound like a silly question, but are You allowed to go on holiday to a country that is classed as amber? I am reading conflicting statements in the press that say you can but that you must quarantine upon return but also I have read that leisure travel is not permitted to an amber country?
I think travel to amber countries is only still for essential reasons and is advised against?
It seems to me that it is now advice, or will be from May17th when the reasons for travel form is being scrapped.

Moonstruck

Visit site
Just found this on the gov.co.uk website.

”You should not travel to amber list countries or territories for leisure purposes.”

What Constitutes leisure travel is clearly going to be “stretched” a little I would suspect, but if there is no “reason for travel “ form from 17th May then how will anyone know why you are travelling??

Portofino

Visit site
Reading between as many lines as possible ( there’s a lot swirling around ) London has held back greening France / Spain and keeping the home office advice “ do not travel for leisure Holidays “ strap line . Which throws insurance under a bus travelling against FOA ....generally.

Keeping it’s powder dry , holding a stronger negotiation arm giving up to the EU the tourist £/€ ......at this moment in time .

The science is being conveniently used as cover to the U.K. public , it’s working to be used for the UKs strangle hold of its tourist tap .

It will all change but I suspect there’s stuff going on in the background.When those ducks align London will turn on the tourist back on ,..slowly.

Portugal is just a staked lamb .You only need one to catch a monster .Handy if your boats there mind .

longjohnsilver

Visit site

”You should not travel to amber list countries or territories for leisure purposes.”

What Constitutes leisure travel is clearly going to be “stretched” a little I would suspect, but if there is no “reason for travel “ form from 17th May then how will anyone know why you are travelling??
That still doesn’t mean it’s the law.

Portofino

Visit site

Correct so check with your insurance co you will be covered .
Stretching is tricky if under cross examination you cannot justify taking your wife + 3 kids aged 3,5,7 to rewire a GPS antenna.With a 2 week gap between flights .

When your claim for your wife’s broken leg , collar bone after being hit by e scouter in the marina is refuted inc the repatriation flights(s) .

julians

Visit site
That still doesn’t mean it’s the law.
Yep, more vagueness from the govt. Its clearly OK (ie not illegal) to go for leisure purposes if you understand and accept the risks involved. Including the position your travel insurance might take if called upon to pay out for something

Up to you to understand the risks you are taking and the make a decision.

I expect I'll be going to majorca in the summer, assuming things either stay the same or get better.