Med boaters - will you get to your boat this year?

Peterlewis321

Visit site
We've gone ahead and booked flights to Spain for middle of June, hopefully the Spain news today is true! Don't mind the tests and isolation coming back, I just want to see my boat! ?
Great-hope you make it. I’ve got a flight next Friday 21st May.....bit risky perhaps but, if the reports are true, 20th May onwards should be OK...we’ll see!!! Home quarantine on arrival back in the UK is no issue for me-been doing that for the last few months anyway!!!!!

Hurricane

Visit site
I've just had a phone call from a friend who is worried about the costs of testing.
It seems that it is the UK that is the problem.
He can't see why you would need a test if you are isolating.
The costs of tests for a couple could mount up to £800 to £1000
It is quite obvious to me that the UK Government want to keep people spending their money in the UK this summer.

Peterlewis321

Visit site
I've just had a phone call from a friend who is worried about the costs of testing.
It seems that it is the UK that is the problem.
He can't see why you would need a test if you are isolating.
The costs of tests for a couple could mount up to £800 to £1000
It is quite obvious to me that the UK Government want to keep people spending their money in the UK this summer.
Sounds wrong to me……any return to the UK from an Amber country requires a test prior to arrival (and this does not have to be PCR…BA offer an accepted ‘remote’ test via Qured for <£35. Then, after returning to the UK you need a Day 2 and Day 8 PCR test and these are available at <£200. For Green countries I think you can miss the Day 8 test, so even cheaper.
So, in total, <£235 per person. Not cheap, but nowhere near £800-£1000 per couple your friend is suggesting!!! Red list countries are obviously entirely different though and with the enforced hotel quarantine that would indeed get very expensive.

Hooligan

Visit site
Sounds wrong to me……any return to the UK from an Amber country requires a test prior to arrival (and this does not have to be PCR…BA offer an accepted ‘remote’ test via Qured for <£35. Then, after returning to the UK you need a Day 2 and Day 8 PCR test and these are available at <£200. For Green countries I think you can miss the Day 8 test, so even cheaper.
So, in total, <£235 per person. Not cheap, but nowhere near £800-£1000 per couple your friend is suggesting!!! Red list countries are obviously entirely different though and with the enforced hotel quarantine that would indeed get very expensive.
Agree. You can go to the gov website and check out the approved testers. Cheapest I have found for the 2 and 8 day test is £116 for the package. Mind you this is still a complete rip off and a total disgrace. The same test in say Bulgaria or most places around the area is as low as £15. And there was I assuming the job of a government is to work on behalf of its citizens. Silly me.

Sandydog2

Visit site
Ryanair have half price discount codes for Randox. They reduce the price of a PCR test to £60. Still a rip off, but with lateral flow tests around €30, less than £90 per person for returning from a green country. Hopefully prices will drop further.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Agree. You can go to the gov website and check out the approved testers. Cheapest I have found for the 2 and 8 day test is £116 for the package. Mind you this is still a complete rip off and a total disgrace. The same test in say Bulgaria or most places around the area is as low as £15. And there was I assuming the job of a government is to work on behalf of its citizens. Silly me.
Profiteering, pure and simple. Lots of hot air from Shapps about reducing the cost of testing, but very little actual action.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
www.jensenengland.co.uk
Interesting that the French can get a refund
? Refund for the French: Health insurance refunds tests carried out in Spain at the cost of € 60 / test. Either present your European Health Insurance Card (CEAM) and the refund will be automatic or when you return to France you fill out the following form: https://www.ameli.fr/sites/default/files/formualires/221/s3125.pdf

Bouba

Visit site

Portofino

Visit site
At the moment it makes sense not to dismantle barriers to air travel or any travel into the EU from the U.K.
As I said earlier it’s a numbers game and the pre Covid U.K. travel levels are just plane stupid in a pandemic really stupid into areas of significant circulating virus ,

Don,t get confused , mixed up because you have effectively a second home your boat there should be a quick , cheaper faster track to fan foreign travel flames .It ain’ t gonna be illegal , it’s all gonna open up and happen but with high enough deterrences to sway the ave family not to do it this summer .As I say until we have a handle on the vaccine efficacy on new emerging mutants / strains .
Shapps would be irresponsible jumping in and beating down testing to knack all .He needs to let it roll on a bit longer if it’s deters the huge masses risking busting what the UKs achieved thus far .

Not in this graphic.......but where , which place would you insert a slice of cheese for “ restricted foreign travel “?
Restricted not banned I said !

FD4D4661-73C5-45D6-9ECA-0ACB4208B64F.png

Last edited:

Hooligan

Visit site
At the moment it makes sense not to dismantle barriers to air travel or any travel into the EU from the U.K.
As I said earlier it’s a numbers game and the pre Covid U.K. travel levels are just plane stupid in a pandemic really stupid into areas of significant circulating virus ,

Don,t get confused , mixed up because you have effectively a second home your boat there should be a quick , cheaper faster track to fan foreign travel flames .It ain’ t gonna be illegal , it’s all gonna open up and happen but with high enough deterrences to sway the ave family not to do it this summer .As I say until we have a handle on the vaccine efficacy on new emerging mutants / strains .
Shapps would be irresponsible jumping in and beating down testing to knack all .He needs to let it roll on a bit longer if it’s deters the huge masses risking busting what the UKs achieved thus far .

Not in this graphic.......but where , which place would you insert a slice of cheese for “ restricted foreign travel “?
Restricted not banned I said !

View attachment 115315
Porto you clearly wont be leaving your home for the next 5 years. After all it might entail some risk! I always believed that what distinguished free countries from not free (cenbtralist/communist/whatever you call it) was the freedom to make choices and not being told who you can or can not hug or where or when you can travel anywhere. I appreciate that this pandemic was both new and a shock a year ago and so perhaps we can excuse some of the draconian measures taken. But now we know a lot more and indeed have reacted with vaccines etc. i would suggest that you stand a greater statistical chance of either killing yourself or someone else by driving from your home to your boat than you would dying from corona virus, assuming you are not in a vulnerable category. I fully expect that people will change general habits in response to what has been experienced, something we are witnessing already. Again this is a normal process in a society that has liberties to choose. Bottom line each and every one of us needs to decide for ourselves what the risk is to us and others from the choices we make, such as travel. With regards to testing, the cost of these tests is circa £6 to 8 pre r Charging ££££ that are being charged is simply wrong and Mr Shapps needs to resolve this question. Indeed he will do so because when the red wall starts to travel and starts to scream about £1000 cost per family he will start to focus on votes not the profits of those creaming it from the backs of hard working and long suffering ordinary people who simply want a life.

Portofino

Visit site
Like all EU med boaters we will be moving around , This is not about individual risks it’s about the gov rational for in effect passing the parcel of holding back mass travel of as you put it the “ red wall “ voters returning red faced after a week or so :) .
Just answering why Shapps ia feet dragging with the testing pricing

There is “ Stanleys law” any how for property owners .

Med boaters have just been caught up in the collateral,you will see your boat just as last summer .

As summer progresses and the various EU states gain parity with the U.K. then things will ease , September ( rtn to school ) would be a nice landing zone , for collapse of test pricing .

The fly in the ointment might be the surging Indian variant in Bolton and such like places .
EU still reeling on the “ Kent “ variant that’s currently there dominant strain .Kent because of the UKs superior genomic sequencing discovered first .The sigma is still holding .
EU might get twitchy about U.K. citizens flocking in even with a bag full of neg test results.

So if the Kent the UKs second wave was est 60:% more transmissible than the first wave and is calming down in the EU , then another Indian which is arguably they say ( early days but look at India ) another 60 % on top transmissible ......you do the maths a 60 % more on a existing 60 %= numbers start to rise again .Hospitals in Bolton and the other 3 hot spots are already filling up as I write .

Needs robust measures in the U.K. or a miracle.

julians

Visit site
For a long weekend (say 3 night stay) to Spain would I need to take any tests in Spain?
Spain are talking about removing the requirement to have a negative PCR test 3 days before you travel to spain, but not confirmed yet. For coming back to england you will need 1 negative test taken in spain at some point in the 3 days before you travel back to england and isolate for up to 10 days, and then a minimum of 1 pcr test on day 2 after your arrival in england, and another on day 8. You can take another optional test on day 5 to get out of isolation slightly earlier if you want, but you still have to take the test on day 8 as well.

For me - this regime of testing, and the need to isolate for up to 10 days makes long weekends not currently viable, but I think we will still go for a few weeks in july/august

Last edited:

dune16

www.noforeignland.com
We've just booked all our tests (PCR test prior to flight out of UK, return test 72 hours prior to return to UK and finally day 2 and 8 PCR tests while in isolation) and the total cost per person came out at £212.50. I have no issues with paying that each time in current conditions. These were all booked through Qured and Randox using voucher codes freely available from Ryanair, BA etc..

Chris H

Visit site
Like all EU med boaters we will be moving around , This is not about individual risks it’s about the gov rational for in effect passing the parcel of holding back mass travel of as you put it the “ red wall “ voters returning red faced after a week or so :) .
Just answering why Shapps ia feet dragging with the testing pricing

There is “ Stanleys law” any how for property owners .

Med boaters have just been caught up in the collateral,you will see your boat just as last summer .

As summer progresses and the various EU states gain parity with the U.K. then things will ease , September ( rtn to school ) would be a nice landing zone , for collapse of test pricing .

The fly in the ointment might be the surging Indian variant in Bolton and such like places .
EU still reeling on the “ Kent “ variant that’s currently there dominant strain .Kent because of the UKs superior genomic sequencing discovered first .The sigma is still holding .
EU might get twitchy about U.K. citizens flocking in even with a bag full of neg test results.

So if the Kent the UKs second wave was est 60:% more transmissible than the first wave and is calming down in the EU , then another Indian which is arguably they say ( early days but look at India ) another 60 % on top transmissible ......you do the maths a 60 % more on a existing 60 %= numbers start to rise again .Hospitals in Bolton and the other 3 hot spots are already filling up as I write .

Needs robust measures in the U.K. or a miracle.
That’s far too many ifs buts and maybes.